Thread: Works Vol 1, Hammond?

The Enemy God

Works Vol 1, Hammond?

Flicking through some old vinyl in a shop I came across ELP Works Vol
    1. I noted an insert in the sleeve and it turned out to be Chris Welchs Melody Maker review. Paraphrasing he said the best side was , 4 when the band came together and Keith switched to his trusty Hammond. I m pretty sure there is no Hammond on Fanfare and Pirates, is this correct or have I missed something that Chris heard. On another point weren't reviews meaty and informative going back, so much more detail.

Definitely no Hammond on Fanfare and I don't think there's any on Pirates either. I've seen ELP do Pirates live three times: Greek Theater Los Angeles 10/30/86, Pacific Ampitheater Costa Mesa 10/31/86 as ELPowell and Las Vegas 8/30/1992 as ELPalmer, he never used the Hammond as far as I could tell (I had great seats for both ELPowell shows). One thing I noticed during the 1986 shows is that his setup included the awesome sounding PPG Wave synth (I played one at a Guitar Center once, it sounded incredible even with my awful playing):

PPG_Wave2.2_Left.jpg

He used it for some of the "horn" parts on Pirates.

One of my favorite Keith pictures, from the BSS tour, with the World's Most Dangerous Synth:

elp3.jpg
    Last edited by Jeremy Bender; 10-20-2014 at 04:06 PM.
    ...or you could love