Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Brand X remastered

IMO the first 3 albums, Unorthodox Behaviour, Moroccan Roll, Livestock, has excellent sound !
    Masques and Product are a bit dull sounding.

1.1-7 Unorthodox Behaviour
    1.8-10? BBC session?
    1.11 2.1-3 Livestock
    2.4-11 3.1 Moroccan roll
    3.2 ?
    3.3-9 Masques
    3.11-12 4.1-7 Product
    4.8-14 Do they hurt?
    This is my guess ... anyone any idea where's the 2nd title on cd 2 from (Malaga virgen; see also cd 2 #11)
    And I miss -ish from Livestock

I recall John Goodsall saying that Phil Collins and Hit Run earned all the profits from these albums and he didn't make any money. Could that be true?
    "Young man says you are what you eat, eat well."
    http://www.blissbomb.net/

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    IMO the first 3 albums, Unorthodox Behaviour, Moroccan Roll, Livestock, has excellent sound !
    Masques and Product are a bit dull sounding.
    Moroccan Roll sound great to me. I wish Lumley had done more production work - Bruford's first and Nova's Vimana sound excellent in the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by Stickleback View Post
    I recall John Goodsall saying that Phil Collins and Hit Run earned all the profits from these albums and he didn't make any money. Could that be true?
    I wonder if Phil Collins's retrospective antipathy to Brand X is a by-product of a breakdown in his relationships with the other members. (Just speculating.) Has he associated with any of them since the occasional ad hoc Brand X gig in the 1990s?

Quote Originally Posted by giant gent View Post
    This is my guess ... anyone any idea where's the 2nd title on cd 2 from (Malaga virgen; see also cd 2 #11)
    And I miss -ish from Livestock
    'Malaga Virgin' is off the second BBC session.
    Which poses the question, where's the other session track 'Why Won't You Lend Me Yours'?

Brand X Nuclear Burn

Quote Originally Posted by Luckie View Post
    Ish from Livestock is missing from the Amazon listing. A typo I hope.
    Hi-
    Tracklisting below which does include -Ish.
    BRAND X: NUCLEAR BURN 4CD Track List:

Disc 1 [Tracks 1 – 7 from ‘Unorthodox Behaviour’ – 1976 / Track 11 from ‘Livestock’ – 1977]:
    01. Nuclear Burn (6:20)
    02. Euthanasia Waltz (5:39)
    03. Born Ugly (8:13)
    04. Smacks Of Euphoric Hysteria (4:26)
    05. Unorthodox Behaviour (8:25)
    06. Running On Three (4:37)
    07. Touch Wood (3:03)
    08. Ancient Mysteries * Bonus Session Track *
    09. Born Ugly * Bonus Session Track *
    10. Kubit Blitz * Bonus Session Track *
    11. Nightmare Patrol (7:50)

Disc 2 [Tracks 1 – 5 from ‘Livestock’ – 1977 / Tracks 6 - 13 from ‘Moroccan Roll’ – 1977]:
    01. –Ish (8:20)
    02. Euthamasia Waltz (5:30)
    03. Isis Mourning - Part 1 (5:30)
    04. Isis Mourning - Part 2 (4:45)
    05. Malaga Virgin (9:35)
    06. Sun In The Night (4:25)
    07. Why Should I Lend You Mine {When You've Broken Yours Off Already}… (11:16)
    08. ...Maybe I'll Lend You Mine After All (2:10)
    09. Hate Zone (4:41)
    10. Collapsar (1:35)
    11. Disco Suicide (7:55)
    12. Orbits (1:38)
    13. Malaga Virgin (8:28)

Disc 3 [Track 1 from ‘Moroccan Roll’ – 1977 / Tracks 2 – 8 from ‘Masques’ – 1978 / Tracks 9 – 10 from ‘Product’ - 1979]:
    01. Macrocosm (7:24)
    02. The Poke (5:06)
    03. Masques (3:17)
    04. Black Moon (4:48)
    05. Deadly Nightshade (10:54)
    06. Earth Dance (6:10)
    07. Access to Data (8:04)
    08. Ghost of Mayfield Lodge (10:08)
    09. Don't Make Waves (5:08)
    10. Dance Of The Illegal Aliens (6:52)

Disc 4 [Tracks 1 – 7 from ‘Product’ – 1979 / Tracks 8 – 14 from ‘Do They Hurt?’ - 1980]:
    01. Soho (3:47)
    02. Not Good Enough - See Me! (7:27)
    03. Algon {Where An Ordinary Cup Of Drinking Chocolate Costs £8,000,000,000} (6:07)
    04. Rhesus Perplexus (4:06)
    05. Wal To Wal (3:09)
    06. ...And So To F… (6:34)
    07. April (2:40)
    08. Noddy Goes to Sweden (4:30)
    09. Voidarama (4:25)
    10. Act of Will (4:44)
    11. Fragile! (5:26)
    12. Cambodia (4:30)
    13. Triumphant Limp (7:28)
    14. D.M.Z (8:37)

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    This appears to be where the above info originates:

http://www.cd-services.com/product_i...&pi=0&status=0

I wonder if Phil Collins's retrospective antipathy to Brand X is a by-product of a breakdown in his relationships with the other members. (Just speculating.) Has he associated with any of them since the occasional ad hoc Brand X gig in the 1990s?
    I don't think Collins had any involvement with Brand X, even as a one-time guest at a gig, after 1979. His early live band had both Peter Robinson and John Giblin from Brand X. If you look at the "history" of the Brand X wikipedia page (or was it the Goodsall page?), there are several attempts by John Goodsall (it seems) to amend some of the info, including inserting the claim that Collins somehow "stole" Brand X to turn it into his solo live band. But Robinson and Giblin do not Brand X make, especially as Giblin only played with them in the studio.

Some years ago I did a series of interviews with most past members of Brand X (Goodsall was one of the few I was unable to interview - I met him briefly at NEARfest in 2003 and he scribbled some friend's e-mail address as a contact but I never got a reply). Anyway, Robin Lumley, who was extremely responsive and helpful, said he could pass on some questions to Phil Collins, saying "who knows... ?" - in the event he never replied to the set of questions Lumley forwarded to him, but the fact that Lumley offered to do it and seemed to think there was a chance of Collins responding seemed an indication that all was reasonably well between at least the two of them.

My impression is that most of the acrimony was between Goodsall/Jones and Lumley, mostly about "Is There Anything About?" (which Goodsall/Jones hated and blamed on Lumley, who claimed he was the only one around to fulfill the contractual obligation) and later archive releases.

As for the "Collins ruined Brand X" claim, I don't think anyone apart from Goodsall has made that claim - they no longer relied on Collins being there by the time they broke up, which they seem to have done of their own accord with no outside pressure, because of diminishing success and because Percy Jones was moving to New York.

re: the new anthology, it seems good value for money but the sequencing really butchers the original sequence for those familiar with them. To a newcomer, however, that's a whole lot of great music at a very attractive price.
    Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/ + "King Crimson" (2012/updated 2018) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/kingcrimson/
    Canterbury & prog interviews - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdf...IUPxUMA/videos

I wonder if Phil Collins's retrospective antipathy to Brand X is a by-product of a breakdown in his relationships with the other members. (Just speculating.)
    I doubt it. His hindsight view of the music of the 70s in general is pretty negative as witnessed by recent interviews.
    "Young man says you are what you eat, eat well."
    http://www.blissbomb.net/

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Phil Collins ruined "Oliver!"

Someone has posted a new set of DR's at:
    http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/li...artist=Brand+X

I had a look elsewhere, and these appear to be individual, paper-sleeve releases, newly re-mastered, but no name to that last task.
    The DR's are similar to the 2006's, except for 'Livestock', but appear different, so new mastering is suggested.
    I wonder if the SHM re-mastering is the same as that for 'Nuclear Burn'?

I just read a major protest article on facebook by Percy Jones and he states quite angered that the 3 members of the band that were in charge of the music were not paid royalties that were promised Percy Jones,Robin Lumley and John Goodsall. The money went to Tony Smith/Hit and Run but that wasn't the agreed plan. Percy is fucking pissed people. He didn't ask anyone to boycott this box set,but never made an effort to dissuade fans who wanted to boycott this. I am.

Old man of prog
    All the controversy aside, just listening to this beast through now and it sounds absolutely fabulous

Quote Originally Posted by Rand Kelly View Post
    I just read a major protest article on facebook by Percy Jones and he states quite angered that the 3 members of the band that were in charge of the music were not paid royalties that were promised Percy Jones,Robin Lumley and John Goodsall. The money went to Tony Smith/Hit and Run but that wasn't the agreed plan. Percy is fucking pissed people. He didn't ask anyone to boycott this box set,but never made an effort to dissuade fans who wanted to boycott this. I am.
    Link?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Link?

Facebook: Percy Jones. You need to join and then ask him if you can be friends like I did.

Percy says he hates the cover art too. "It looks like a Brasso advert."

Percy is 100% correct.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

How do you guys reply with quote and include the bubble quote as well? When I try this I can't seem to get the bubble quote to go with the new one. What am I doing wrong here? I use Google Chrome so you know.

How do you guys reply with quote and include the bubble quote as well? When I try this I can't seem to get the bubble quote to go with the new one. What am I doing wrong here? I use Google Chrome so you know.
    I did this using Chrome, just clicked on "reply with quote" and typed underneath the system inserted wording.

Quote Originally Posted by progmeister View Post
    All the controversy aside, just listening to this beast through now and it sounds absolutely fabulous
    I've read positive reviews elsewhere, so I've made the purchase.
    I'll report back on how they compare to the original V/C CDs.

Quote Originally Posted by jcarr73729 View Post
    I've read positive reviews elsewhere, so I've made the purchase.
    I'll report back on how they compare to the original V/C CDs.
    I've heard reports that there is no real difference between these discs and the Virgin CDs... If others could comment also, I'd appreciate it.

Mike

Facebook: Percy Jones. You need to join and then ask him if you can be friends like I did.
    There's no "Friend" button but I "Follow" his page and I can see his posts going back 6 years. The only thing he says regarding this box is "I wonder if we'll get paid for this lot?", and that's the entire post. I can't say that's a "major protest article".

Perfect!

Couldn't be accidental.