Thread: Arve Henricksen

Arve Henricksen

I've been a long-time big fan of Jon Hassell and his many spiritual descendents: Mark Isham, Nils Petter Molvaer, Eivind Aarset, Jan Bang and Arve Henricksen. Albums like "Alchemy: An Index of Metals" and "The Beast" and "Aka Darbari Java" are frequent visitors to my CD player.

Yesterday I ran across a 2004 Henricksen I'd never seen before, "Chiaroscuro" which it turns out is a bit different for him -- he sings on it. And by sings, I mean you'd never believe it was him if it wasn't confirmed -- it's a soprano voice, very high and pure. Sounds like a young girl actually. He's a 46-year old man.

He doesn't really sing words (that I can tell...) but kind of imitates his trumpet playing, which is breathy and hesitant. Henricksen claims he tries to sound like a shakuhachi on his trumpet, which is a good referent. His vocal is similar.

Very, very odd -- and not entirely unpleasant.
    Last edited by rcarlberg; 10-17-2014 at 01:45 PM.

I believe 'Chiaroscuro' is one of his that I do not have. But, might have to correct that oversight sometime soon

My personal favorites of his are Cartography and Places of Worship (the closing track on the latter, 'Shelter from the Storm' is achingly beautiful). His work on the two Jan Bang albums is also wonderful.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Also a member of Supersilent, I see, with 12 releases out now? Their brand of structureless avant-garde noise is not to my liking unfortunately. Borbetomagus already plowed that field.
    Last edited by rcarlberg; 10-17-2014 at 12:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    I've been a long-time big fan of Jon Hassell and his many spiritual descendents: Mark Isham, Nils Petter Molvaer, Eivind Aarset, Jan Bang and Arve Henricksen. Albums like "Alchemy: An Index of Metals" and "The Beast" and "Aka Darbari Java" are frequent visitors to my CD player.

Yesterday I ran across a 2004 Henricksen I'd never seen before, "Chiaroscuro" which it turns out is a bit different for him -- he sings on it. And by sings, I mean you'd never believe it was him if it wasn't confirmed -- it's a soprano voice, very high and pure. Sounds like a young girl actually. He's a 46-year old man.

He doesn't really sing words (that I can tell...) but kind of imitates his trumpet playing, which is breathy and hesitant. Henricksen claims he tries to sound like a shakuhachi on his trumpet, which is a good referent. His vocal is similar.

Very, very odd -- and not entirely unpleasant.
    Actually, Arve has been singing for a considerable amount of time, and while early examples are of the choir boy variety,in recent years he's added more to his palette- from faux-throat singing to growls and rapid-fire staccato stuff that's edgier and more angular.

For those interested, you can read my reviews of all of Arve's releases here, except for the Solidification box, which i could not review because I collaborated with British journalist Fiona Talkington on the liners. You can also read a few Supersilent reviews here (though I've not gotten to the new ones yet).

Also, while his early days focused heavily on that shakuhachi-like tone, in recent year he has broadened things up so, while you will certainly hear a certain amount of that in his playing, you'll also hear some more burnished tones as well. It's all about evolution and growth, which Arve seems to be managing with great aplomb and terrific insight.

Needless to say, I'm a big fan Have been fortunate enough to see him many times in Europe, at Norway's Punkt Festival and at other events also. I've even be wen lucky enough to see Arve playing with Jon Hassell...

...but not to be a picker of nits, it's Henriksen, not Henricksen...

Supersilent does some crazy cool stuff, but they are definitely challenging listening at times. All three of those Supersilent dudes have pretty amazing recordings in their individual arsenals.

I'll refrain from going on further, as I suspect the other John will be along in this thread soon to share a wealth of thoughts on Henriksen :-)

Edit: ...or perhaps even as I was finishing my reply! ;-)
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    I believe 'Chiaroscuro' is one of his that I do not have. But, might have to correct that oversight sometime soon
    You must, you must!!!

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    My personal favorites of his are Cartography and Places of Worship (the closing track on the latter, 'Shelter from the Storm' is achingly beautiful). His work on the two Jan Bang albums is also wonderful.
    Well, they're definitely of a kind; add to that Jan Bang's Narrative from the Subtropics and you have a trifecta that began with the work of Chiaroscuro in terms of composing in a kind of reverse-engineering fashion, but really took form with Cartography. Places of Worship and Narrative from the Subtropics were released on the same day for a reason as they're two halves of a very special whole.

Also a member of Supersilent, I see, with 12 releases out now? Their brand of structureless avant-garde noise is not to my liking unfortunately. Borbetomagus already plowed that field.
    Perhaps surprisingly, not all Supersilent albums are "noise improv," though they are always, by definition, all-improv: they don't rehearse, don't discuss. They just play, record and Helge Sten sifts through the results looking for a record. You might find 10 a good entry point. I've often found, with groups like this, that once you have an entry, the other stuff starts to make more sense, though you'd probably find their first few recordings, which were far more extreme (ah, youth!!), absolutely not to your liking. But if you've not given them good listen, comparisons to Borbetomagus are really more superficial. Supersilent may not be to taste, but one thing they have done, imo, is push the concept of free improvisation forward, especially with more recent recordings, where they're looking to pull form out of the ether, even if that form is rather oblique.

You should try 6, their overall best-loved work. Small ensemble electric free improv hardly gets any better than this, I think.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    You should try 6, their overall best-loved work. Small ensemble electric free improv hardly gets any better than this, I think.
    Okay I ordered it. The tracks on YouTube sound pretty awesome. Thanks for the tip!

Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    Supersilent ... don't rehearse, don't discuss. They just play, record and Helge Sten sifts through the results looking for a record.
    That's the same technique Teo Macero used with Miles Davis in the '70s, and it didn't work very often then either.

That's the same technique Teo Macero used with Miles Davis in the '70s, and it didn't work very often then either.
    I've seen Supersilent plenty a time, and believe me - with them it does work more often than not. Although I must admit that I never saw the (current) drumless trio.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Yeah..but when it does....Magic!

I've seen Supersilent plenty a time, and believe me - with them it does work more often than not. Although I must admit that I never saw the (current) drumless trio.
    I have..with and without John Paul Jones (was at th first time it happened, spontaneously, at Punkt...one of many memorable events at that festival, a real catalyst for so many terrific creative things that have taken place). Fantastic!

I saw them as a trio in Copenhagen 2004 as a trio (the drummer was ill), and it was so good that I didnt dare to take a leak.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Aside from On the Corner, I can't think of any examples of this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Aside from On the Corner, I can't think of any examples of this.
    Then you should get the Bitches Brew, Jack Johnson and In A Silent Way boxes pronto.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Then you should get the Bitches Brew, Jack Johnson and In A Silent Way boxes pronto.
    Have the metal spine ones already. The best counter-example to post #11 is the Jack Johnson box. And what he did with IASW is genius, even though, now that I've heard it, I wouldn't want to be without the whole set.

But other than Jack Johnson....where they made a great record out of a lot of rather tedious sessions, I disagree with you about it rarely working. Other than the quintet with Hancock, Shorter, et, al., from In a Silent Way through his 1975 temporary "retirement" is my favorite period...and a lot of it is based on Macero's collaging technique. In fact, I find the two periods now pretty much on par, where I used to prefer the '60s quintet....