Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Any Living Colour fans?

Any Living Colour fans?

I know they aren't prog but they are very talented. I've been a fan since 1989 and had a chance to see them last week in a small venue in southern California. The Coach House if anyone is from here. Anyway, amazing show. Afterwards they signed cds, etc and took pictures with all the fans there. Super nice and humble.

The first two are really good especially the first. I had their third "stain" at one point but didn't think too much of it at the time.

Great live band, I liked them when they opened on the Stones Steel Wheels tour.

Digital man, it's funny you say that because that's my favorite. That's the one they signed for me.

There were definitely some prog fans there. Met a guy with an Opeth shirt and a father and son wearing Crimson shirts. Also several of the house music songs were Crimson.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    The first two are really good especially the first. I had their third "stain" at one point but didn't think too much of it at the time.
    This pretty much sums it up for me as well. I haven't heard it for awhile (and can't even remember the name of it) but does anyone else think that overdubbed bass instrumental on Time's Up was possibly influenced by "The Fish"?
    The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off

Just recently found a used copy of Vivid for $4 at a local record store. Evidently, they were here (Madison) recently and I had no clue or I likely would've gone.
    'The smell of strange colours are heard everywhere'- Threshold

Big fan here. I had planned to see them back in the spring when they played Grand Rapids MI, but ended up not being able to go. I am partial to their live albums. I have both “Live At CBGB’s” and the 2 disc “Paris Concert” both of which are excellent. I have only seen them live once, but they were outstanding.

Big fan here too. I'll be seeing them in St. Petersburg, FL in December. Like Steve said above, I also like the "Live at CBGB'S" cd.

Quote Originally Posted by bill1971 View Post
    Digital man, it's funny you say that because that's my favorite. That's the one they signed for me.

There were definitely some prog fans there. Met a guy with an Opeth shirt and a father and son wearing Crimson shirts. Also several of the house music songs were Crimson.
    Plus Vernon Reid doesn't try to hide the fact that he's a big Fripp fan.

I've been a fan since I first heard the massive riff from Cult Of Personality. Time's Up is my favourite album of theirs and I agree with earlier posts that Stain was an album that I couldn't get into - and still can't. However, since their reformation in 2000 they have have release Collideoscope and The Chair In The Doorway and I would recommend that any fans who lost interest after Stain give them a listen.

Here's a couple from Collideoscope:

Great Expectations

Pocket Of Tears
    "One should never magnify the harsh light of reality with the mirror of prose onto the delicate wings of fantasy's butterfly"
    Thumpermonkey - How I Wrote The French Lieutenant's Woman

"I'm content to listen to what I like and keep my useless negative opinions about what I don't like to myself -- because no one is interested in hearing those anyway, and it contributes absolutely nothing to the conversation."
    aith01

And a couple from The Chair In The Doorway:

Burned Bridges

Bless Those (clip has several minutes of dead air at the end)
    "One should never magnify the harsh light of reality with the mirror of prose onto the delicate wings of fantasy's butterfly"
    Thumpermonkey - How I Wrote The French Lieutenant's Woman

"I'm content to listen to what I like and keep my useless negative opinions about what I don't like to myself -- because no one is interested in hearing those anyway, and it contributes absolutely nothing to the conversation."
    aith01

here. saw them live many times in the early 1990s since they were a staple on the euro festival circuit. fantastic band, collectively and individually – really enjoyed the black rock thing that they spearheaded (24-7spyz, fishbone, body count etc.). i ought to go and see them again.

Used to love 'em, and saw them on their first tour in Berkeley at a small club. My affection waned with every release since the first one.

Live, they are just too busy anymore. The drummer throws in so much crap that it detracts from the song. IMO, of course.

Living Colour were probably my favorite "rock" band of the 1980s. Those first two albums kill. From a musical perspective, the second one is my favorite, but the production on that album is pretty bad so it's sometimes a little hard to listen to.

I have all their other albums, but as someone posted earlier, each has been almost a diminishing return. A few good tracks here and there, particularly on Chair in the Doorway, but as albums I don't find them to be very good overall and have many times considered ditching them.

I've seen them twice. Once back in the day at the UMass Student Union Ballroom and once more recently up in New Hampshire at a gig that Core Glover was sick and the band either played instrumentally or had audience members sing (most of them shockingly well!). It was a weird gig, but I'll never forget it.

Bill

This thread has me pretty upset that it didn't start 3 weeks earlier. I then would have found out they played in Denver at the end of September and gone to see them! Seriously bummed to have missed that.

Their first album is still a masterpiece to my ears, one of my favorite headbangers.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    Plus Vernon Reid doesn't try to hide the fact that he's a big Fripp fan.
    His solo album Mistaken Identity is definitely worth a listen.

Quote Originally Posted by bill1971 View Post
    I know they aren't prog but they are very talented. I've been a fan since 1989 and had a chance to see them last week in a small venue in southern California. The Coach House if anyone is from here. Anyway, amazing show. Afterwards they signed cds, etc and took pictures with all the fans there. Super nice and humble.
    They were just in town here a couple weeks ago but they played a small basement night club that i refuse to support due the their uncivilized environment (anyone remember echolyn at Crocodile Rock - you get the idea). I love those guys, very surprised and dissapointed to see them play such a small dump.

One of my favorite memories was seeing them years ago touring with King Crimson, man what a barn burner that was, highlight being able to stand in the 'pit' area in front of the stage and see Mr Fripp standing in the wings bobbing his head rocking out to those guys. Never in my life would i have thought i was going to see LC slamming through Funny Vibe followed by the mighty Crim.

Saw them in Toronto about 5 years ago. THANK GOD I had hearing protection. Certainly the loudest concert I've been to, but I have to say, the excitement level in that club was over the top! Very intense, and totally wonderful in every way!
    Coming September 1st - "Dean Watson Revisited"!

First two like most have stated - awesome. William is a great drummer too. Hell... a great band. Live - forget about it... killer.

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    I liked the first two albums and saw them live twice. The first time was at Villanova University supporting "Vivid" and the second was at the Tower Theater for the "Time's Up" tour. Both shows were very good, but the Tower was superior due to the sound and the proximity of my seat. I have "Stain" but rarely spin it. I listened to a bit of the two new ones and I wasn't grabbed by anything unfortunately.
    Chad

I generally worry about myself when I'm part of a majority (), but I also loved the first two and didn't care for "Stain." I'd be willing to listen to the 4th and 5th ones though, on the strength of the first two. I mean, they ARE a great band!

Open post....insert foot. mpoll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrian View Post
    His solo album Mistaken Identity is definitely worth a listen.

Got it. Love it. But maybe it's just a WA State thing........

The last time I saw Vernon Reid it was with Spectrum Road - Jack Bruce, Cindy Blackman (now Blackman-Santana), and John Medeski. I was within 10 feet of Vernon, and it was amazing!

"Be Well... Prog On!"

"The Progressive Tracks Show" on KPTZ 91.9 FM / KPTZ.org - Sundays at 5:00 AM and Mondays at 9:00 PM (Pacific Times)
    also on Progzilla Radio / Progzilla.com in the UK - Saturdays at 6:30 PM and Mondays at 2:30 PM (Pacific Times)

I was a BIG fan in the 90s. I loved that Stain album. I was not that blown away by Time's Up, but the first 3 are all great records. I've honestly lost my taste for them in more recent years. Lots of overplaying and Vernon's solos get a little too close to the Vinnie Vincent approach of "just play as many notes as you can!" I bought a live DVD from a few years back that I'll pop in once in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by mpoll View Post
    The last time I saw Vernon Reid it was with Spectrum Road - Jack Bruce, Cindy Blackman (now Blackman-Santana), and John Medeski. I was within 10 feet of Vernon, and it was amazing!
    I have the Spectrum Road album, and I really like it. Oddly, I'm not that huge a fan of Tony Williams, but I really like what these musicians did with his work.

I need to check out Vernon's solo album. I'll listen to the samples when I'm home.

Quote Originally Posted by gearHed289 View Post
    I was a BIG fan in the 90s. I loved that Stain album. I was not that blown away by Time's Up, but the first 3 are all great records.
    Interesting. I really need to give Stain a fresh listen, really all of their last three. They've been in my "to listen to" pile for months, but I haven't had time to focus on them. Tonight may be the night.

Quote Originally Posted by gearHed289 View Post
    I've honestly lost my taste for them in more recent years. Lots of overplaying and Vernon's solos get a little too close to the Vinnie Vincent approach of "just play as many notes as you can!" I bought a live DVD from a few years back that I'll pop in once in a while.
    Some truth to that, but Vernon tends to take it "out" a bit more than most metal shredders. I always get more of a sense of "intent" with Vernon's solos than I do with most who play in this style. Plus his vocabulary is much larger and I think he brings a broader sensibility to his rock soloing, even when he's shredding. That said, I can absolutely see having that reaction to much of his playing in Living Colour.

Bill

I really do think they are an amazing band but I really can only handle about 3 Vernon Reid solos in a row before I'm just over it. I don't accuse many guitar players of pointless wankery but I actually do think he fits the bill. Hate to say it... ok, I know it's not pointless and he does have a vocabulary behind it but it doesn't really come across to me.

I know many would accuse Holdsworth of the same thing but with Holdsey I get it, with Vernon I don't.