Thread: Jon Hassell, 'City' reissue

Jon Hassell, 'City' reissue

Hassell is one of my favourite artists and the reissue of 'City' with two bonus discs has been beautifully done.

The original album was not one I 'got' at first: I missed what I thought of as the Hassell sound but with time I really took to it and although it's nit IMO as good as the first two 'Fourth World' discs and Power Spot it comes pretty close.

The gem here is the live disc which is stunning.

Jon Kelman's done a great review on All About Jazz, but I couldn't find a thread here about it - so here one is.

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    Big fan here
    need this I guess...
    If only for the live stuff, I'd say you do. Nice presentation of the discs as well - a good package.

I kind of lost him after The Surgeon Of The Nightsky till Marifa Street blew me away (what an amazing album)
    Any essential stuff in the 90's

I re-connected with him after the ECM album a couple of years back. Agree about Marifa Street: wonderful stuff.

Good news for people juat exploring him - his early masterpiece Possible Worlds is set for reissue next month. It currently sells for crazy prices.

Quote Originally Posted by Oreb View Post
    I re-connected with him after the ECM album a couple of years back. Agree about Marifa Street: wonderful stuff.
    Good news for people juat exploring him - his early masterpiece Possible Worlds is set for reissue next month. It currently sells for crazy prices.
    I like the "recent" ECM one but it fails to impress like Marifa
    Good news about Possible Worlds I bought it back when it came out but never got the cd - will this be "expanded" too ?

Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    Good news about Possible Worlds I bought it back when it came out but never got the cd - will this be "expanded" too ?
    Not by the look of it:

http://glitterbeat.com/artists/jon-hassell-brian-eno/

Thanks for the heads up on Possible Worlds!

I have the City reissue and am still working my way through. So far, it's quite good though.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

I heart Possible Musics. One of the brightest shining lights (or rather, most compelling subtle glows) in either man's entire catalogue, which is really saying a lot in both cases. Fantastic news that it'll at least be more available.

The idea of an expanded release is somewhat tempting if there's more material from the time that hasn't surfaced.... but OtOH, it's just perfect the way it is.

I liked his 94 album Jon Hassell and Bluescreen - Dressing For Pleasure

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    I liked his 94 album Jon Hassell and Bluescreen - Dressing For Pleasure
    Not really a fan of it. I put the following on my MP3 player -

1 G-Spot
    2 Villa Narco
    8 Destination: Bakiff
    13 Blue Night

- but the rest has so much ctrl-C/ctrl-V nonsense going on, I can't bear to listen to it, although I really do like 1 & 8.
    Last edited by Dave (in MA); 10-09-2014 at 10:50 AM. Reason: crappy typing

I agree - I'ts not all tracks thats top notch, some are a bit over the top jazz-electronic-computer-doodling-collage'ish.
    But Kolo X has something too, allthough quite undancable

Quote Originally Posted by Oreb View Post
    Hassell is one of my favourite artists and the reissue of 'City' with two bonus discs has been beautifully done.

The original album was not one I 'got' at first: I missed what I thought of as the Hassell sound but with time I really took to it and although it's nit IMO as good as the first two 'Fourth World' discs and Power Spot it comes pretty close.

The gem here is the live disc which is stunning.

Jon Kelman's done a great review on All About Jazz, but I couldn't find a thread here about it - so here one is.
    Actually, he's Jon and I'm John. Here's my review - appreciate your mentioning it and I do believe I posted it way back when it was released.

But thanks for mentioning it...and for the very kind words....always very much appreciated

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    The Jon Hassell Concert Group Live 9-16-'89
    Cool stuff.Thanks.