Thread: Kevin Gilbert's GIRAFFE: Lamb 20th Anniv. CD Details

Kevin Gilbert's GIRAFFE: Lamb 20th Anniv. CD Details

Available mid-November 2014

Kevin Gilbert's GIRAFFE
    A 20th Anniversary Performance Of
    “The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway”

Audio CD: 75 minutes
    Price: $15

Recorded live at Valley Arts Center, Los Angeles • November 8, 1994.

Audio recorded and mixed by Kevin Gilbert.

The Band was:
    Kevin Gilbert: Vocals, Organ, 12 String on “The Musical Box”
    David Kerzner: Hammond Organ, RMI Electric Piano,
    Novatron, Yamaha CP-70B, ARP Pro-soloist
    Stan Cotey: Bass, Bass Pedals, 12 String Electrics
    Dan Hancock: Guitars
    Nick D’Virgilio: Drums, Backing Vocals

- The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway
    - Fly On A Windshield
    - Broadway Melody Of 1974
    - In The Cage
    - The Grand Parade Of Lifeless Packaging
    - Back In N.Y.C.
    - The Carpet Crawlers
    - Lilywhite Lilith
    - The Lamia
    - The Colony Of Slippermen
    - In The Rapids
    - It/Watcher Of The Skies
    - The Musical Box

Additional details (sound samples, artwork, ordering information) will be announced throughout the month of October.

KevinGilbert.com
    Facebook.com/kevingilbertofficial

You're really hurting my wallet, Gruno.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Great news!
    Chad

I think I have video of that stashed away somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I think I have video of that stashed away somewhere.
    Some of this was included on one of the Progfest '94 videos, but it wasn't the complete performance.

Hopefully this includes the brilliant intro bit where Kevin destroys a boom box because it starts playing "Invisible Touch".
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    Hopefully this includes the brilliant intro bit where Kevin destroys a boom box because it starts playing "Invisible Touch".

The decision was made early on to present this as an archival piece; capturing the complete performance.

It's not a coincidence that this is being released in November. It's the 20th anniversary performance of the 20th anniversary of The Lamb.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Does anyone know if this audio is different from the CD that Syn-Phonic had been selling?

I have a recording of the whole thing that fell onto my hard drive somehow... So of course I'll be getting this.

An unauthorized live recording. Say it loud and proud!

Gruno-why so many releases all at once? I know you guys get these releases together sporadically so this cornocopia of 3 releases is a bit out of character but awesome just the same.

Gruno has me on ignore so he probably won't see this, but what does he have to do with Kevin Gilbert?

Also, what is being released soon, or had a recent release, besides this Lamb CD?

I have a VHS of that show. Not sure I'll buy the CD, but if they cleaned up a release for DVD I would surely get that...... Unless they called me Shirley!
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

Symphonic has it on DVD, probably just a dub from VHS.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Gruno has me on ignore so he probably won't see this, but what does he have to do with Kevin Gilbert?

Also, what is being released soon, or had a recent release, besides this Lamb CD?
    I'm guessing, and probably getting it wrong, but I know that he knew Kevin and helped him with various things, and is also friendly with his family and people involved with his estate. And I know that he's been involved with the various releases, and with helping to archive Kevin's notes, memorabilia, tapes, etc.

I just always had him with "that crowd" that worked with Kevin over the years.

But, hopefully he'll see this and will expand upon this.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I actually just read his other thread about other stuff going on, so I'm up to speed on that aspect.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Giant View Post
    I have a VHS of that show. Not sure I'll buy the CD, but if they cleaned up a release for DVD I would surely get that...... Unless they called me Shirley!
    Unfortunately, at this time a DVD release will not be happening. There's too much red tape to pile through to get the rights to release a visual performance. That is one of the things that halted the intended 1995 release. I hope you get the CD, Laverne!

Quote Originally Posted by 3RDegree_Robert View Post
    Gruno-why so many releases all at once? I know you guys get these releases together sporadically so this cornocopia of 3 releases is a bit out of character but awesome just the same.
    Totally valid question.

For years I had been making notes on THUD in hopes that the estate would be able to successfully acquire a license to release THUD on the KMG label. That finally happened in November 2013. While I was compiling and referencing audio tracks for THUD, I started to re-archive and reorganize Kevin's entire recorded works. I combined my archives with the estate's and began to propose ideas for some interesting CDs.

Of the proposed ideas, it made sense that The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway be one of them. It was recorded in 1994 and was set be released in 1995; same year as THUD. In fact, in the liner notes that we included that were written by Kevin, he mentions THUD. Since November 2014 also marks the 40th anniversary of the original Lamb, that sealed the deal.

Adding Toy Matinee acoustic is a total bonus. I was able to compile enough quality material and complete the artwork in plenty of time before the deadline. TM acoustic will also include Kevin's own words as liner notes and the packaging also has Kevin's handwriting.

It is not uncommon for the estate to put out multiple items at once. Both Giraffe discs and NRG were released at the same time in 2012. Nuts, Bolts, and the Troub. DVD came out at the same time in 2009, I believe. Toy Matinee Roxy CD was also that same year or might have been with those others also. I think some of the early 1999/2000 releases were also grouped together.

The first rule before going forward with any KG project is: would Kevin approve of this release right now if he were alive? Having said that, if these sell well, then the KG fan base will have a great end to 2014 and a bright and prosperous 2015.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    The first rule before going forward with any KG project is: would Kevin approve of this release right now if he were alive? Having said that, if these sell well, then the KG fan base will have a great end to 2014 and a bright and prosperous 2015.
    Well, I hope to relieve the estate of at least a *couple* of copies of Thud (got at least one other friend who should own this), and 1 copy each of the others...so here's hoping plenty of others join in as well
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    Well, I hope to relieve the estate of at least a *couple* of copies of Thud (got at least one other friend who should own this), and 1 copy each of the others...so here's hoping plenty of others join in as well
    I'll be buying all of these also, so looking forward to handing over my hard earned cash!

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    It is not uncommon for the estate to put out multiple items at once. Both Giraffe discs and NRG were released at the same time in 2012. Nuts, Bolts, and the Troub. DVD came out at the same time in 2009, I believe. Toy Matinee Roxy CD was also that same year or might have been with those others also. I think some of the early 1999/2000 releases were also grouped together.
    Yeah, now that I think about it...you're right!

Another question. The bonus tracks on this THUD release coming-was it obvious that these songs were actually "THUD outtakes" or songs "meant to be in the running order of THUD", or are they sort of THUD-era tracks that no one can be sure about?

Quote Originally Posted by 3RDegree_Robert View Post
    Another question. The bonus tracks on this THUD release coming-was it obvious that these songs were actually "THUD outtakes" or songs "meant to be in the running order of THUD", or are they sort of THUD-era tracks that no one can be sure about?
    For THUD, I compiled all track sheets from the multi-tracks to gather any information on performers and date of recordings, as well as other tracks that were recorded and intended to be on this album. Some of the 1/4" tapes had notations from Kevin. Some of the DATs contained other notes. There were also journal entries and notebooks of Kevin's that listed possible songs to be used for THUD. The original working title for the album was Uncle, so there were a lot of references to Uncle tracks scattered throughout. The 32 page book will contain elements of what I just described; a small behind-the-scenes look at the making of THUD through images and documents. The enclosed packaging for THUD (and also Toy Matinee Acoustic) contains some of Kevin's actual written documents where it pertains to the album.

A bit more insight on the process:
    From 1990-1994, Kevin worked on the bulk of THUD. During that time, he was finishing up Toy Matinee touring/promotion, involved with Tuesday Music Club, recording TSOTT, scoring TV shows/film, producing/recording others, building his studio, and so on. Once Kevin was done with Toy Matinee touring/promotion, he already had a few (what were to be) THUD songs in demo form. The rest of the album was recorded between and during some of the sessions I described. I had to go through his collection and attempt to define each track's writer(s), date recorded/written, mix variations, etc. THUD tracks were slipped in and around other tracks, so it was interesting to piece together the timeline. We contacted some friends and former bandmates to fill in some of the gaps. All tracks contained are definitely tracks that Kevin considered to use for THUD.

"The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway" CD Preview #2

Keep them coming!

Here's a Thud tidbit of info to share. Kevin gave me a cassette tape of preliminary mixes for "Thud". The original running order had "Goodness Gracious" first. For whatever reason, I had made a point about "When You Give Your Love To Me" being out of place where it was and suggested putting it at the front. He ended up doing that and liked it. There is a certain charm to it starting off sarcastically happy and then getting a little darker. However, not long after that and perhaps even still to this day I think "Goodness Gracious" was better as the opening track.

Another thing. The band wasn't initially called "Thud". The first line up was Kevin, myself, Toss Panos (who played with TM live) and Corky James (and Peter Thorn was the other person who auditioned for guitar, the only other person I saw audition, and he's a cool guy. Since then has played with Chris Cornell and others). We spent quite a bit of time thinking up names, because Kevin did want to give it a name. Possible candidates were KGB (Kevin Gilbert Band), D.O.A.R.C. (Daddy Owns A Record Company), Mercury's Rosebud (you don't want to know), Zuzu's Petals (from "It's A Wonderful Life")... and then eventually we just called it Thud which was the obvious choice right under our noses. With that line up we did a few songs we didn't do later much (if at all) like "All Fall Down" and "Shadow Self". Then, after we did The Lamb, Bill Botrell (who did live sound and recorded the Lamb gig) said to Kevin "THAT should be your band!". After that gig Kevin asked me what I thought of Nick D'Virgilio and, of course, I said I LOVED playing with him (even though I loved playing with Toss too). The next practice not only was Nick there but also Russ Parrish who I knew through someone else and had no idea he even knew Kevin (but later was shown "Angel 4: The Seduction" or whatever it was where they acted as a band in a B movie... I think the fake band was called "AK47"). That's the line up most people know because of the Live at the Troub DVD/CD.

I'm really looking forward to these new releases. I hope it reaches a lot of new people. It also seems to offer a lot of substance/bang for the buck to existing KG fans.

Btw I did the Casey Kasem impression and we recorded it the day of the show as a last minute idea (Kevin's crazy idea which Genesis later heard and I was told by Nick Davis that "They were very amused"... which I think was sarcastic)
    Last edited by Squids; 10-15-2014 at 09:41 AM.

At the risk of banality: Gilbert's voice sounds incredible on these songs.

Like many of you I've seen the full video. I've listened to the Musical Box probably over 500 times and it struck me how pretty many of the vocal melodies are: a fact that I think Gabriel was taking pains to conceal

The whole video is on YouTube in case anyone hasn't seen it:

Of course, the audio from this upcoming release is going to be much, much better and I'll be picking it up as soon as it's available.