Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: If you like the Canterbury Scene bands

It's definitely a quirky release that Schnauser one (Protein...), but I bought it at the time and still spin it today. I would be interested in any views on the follow-up because that eluded me completely.

25 Views Of Worthing is a completely new name to me, shame it never received a proper release, I like what is posted above.

I really like it, but I wouldn't call it "quirky". To me that implies something unusual or even singular in challenge and expression, and Schnauser (like Sanguine Hum) are pretty straight-forward - albeit also refined and sophisticated. These are some great Canterburian pop tunes all the same.

Their followup-album is on Bandcamp, I believe.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    ^ There's been at least one Schnauser release since Protein, but I haven't heard it.

A very fine band.
    Yeah man, Irritant is really worth checking out. I actually heard it before Protein, and then went backwards.

I really like these guys.

Apparently, this thread also escaped my radar back then.

Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    Now wondering if I should check out Stackridge...

Mmmhhh!!!... Pretty weird band - they must've had a good dope dealer. I some ways, their zanyness could be Canterbury-esque, as they're into a weird sometimes Beatles-laced progressive folk rock with their longer tracks allowing some good interplay.
    Clearly I'm definitely not a fan of their best-known album (Bowler Hat), which I find totally plagued by Sir George Martin's extremely cheesy string arrangements.

I'd start with their debut album (with the excellent 14-mins Slark and the 8-mins Essence Of Porphyry), and if you like the debut, I'd skip over to their fourth called Extravanganza, (with a fairly different line-up), because the mainly instrumental flipside holds some real gems, including an amazing Gordon Haskell cover.
    Their second Friendiness also has their better (and longer) tracks finishing the album sides, like Syracuse and Teatime.
    The rest is very hit & miss for me, though the conceptual Mr Mick is interesting
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Banned
    if you like Canterbury sound then you'll like this music

SVETONIO!! BACK!
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Apparently, this thread also escaped my radar back then.

Mmmhhh!!!... Pretty weird band - they must've had a good dope dealer. I some ways, their zanyness could be Canterbury-esque, as they're into a weird sometimes Beatles-laced progressive folk rock with their longer tracks allowing some good interplay.
    Clearly I'm definitely not a fan of their best-known album (Bowler Hat), which I find totally plagued by Sir George Martin's extremely cheesy string arrangements.

I'd start with their debut album (with the excellent 14-mins Slark and the 8-mins Essence Of Porphyry), and if you like the debut, I'd skip over to their fourth called Extravanganza, (with a fairly different line-up), because the mainly instrumental flipside holds some real gems, including an amazing Gordon Haskell cover.
    Their second Friendiness also has their better (and longer) tracks finishing the album sides, like Syracuse and Teatime.
    The rest is very hit & miss for me, though the conceptual Mr Mick is interesting
    Thank you, I will start with the debut!

Thank you, I will start with the debut!
    And don't miss their last one: Mr.Mick is a concept-album with some excellent moments but you should try to get the complete (untruncated) version (Angel Air re-issue). But (IMO) none of these albums can be associated with the Canterbury scene or style.

Just listened to the first Stackridge. Nothing canterbury there but wow, some amazing music here. Some tracks, the more upbeat ones, are so-so, but some of the more orchestral tracks are gorgeous! I can't believe I've missed this. The music is rich and intriguing. Blissfully unusual and beautiful. Scattered with lesser tracks. My favorite is clearly 'Essence of Porphyry' and nothing on their 2nd album remotely touches this (though I quite like Teatime). From the debut, the Three-Legged Table is great too, the first 4 minutes or so.

I wont miss the last one!
    Last edited by bill g; 07-07-2019 at 09:02 PM.

Yeah, SR is not Canter-elated, if only for the silllyness

Just listened to the first Stackridge. Nothing canterbury there but wow, some amazing music here. Some tracks, the more upbeat ones, are so-so, but some of the more orchestral tracks are gorgeous! I can't believe I've missed this. The music is rich and intriguing. Blissfully unusual and beautiful. Scattered with lesser tracks. My favorite is clearly 'Essence of Porphyry' and nothing on their 2nd album remotely touches this (though I quite like Teatime). From the debut, the Three-Legged Table is great too, the first 4 minutes or so.

I wont miss the last one!
    It's better to wait an be more acquainted with SR before jumping with Mr Mick, even if that one is a different beast.

Try the b-side of Extravaganza next.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Definitely digging the Schnauser. Staying in my cd player for repeated listens. Which is a good sign. Good chord progressions, rhythm variations, blend of vocal and instrumental sections. Will check out Irritant next...

Definitely digging the Schnauser. Staying in my cd player for repeated listens. Which is a good sign. Good chord progressions, rhythm variations, blend of vocal and instrumental sections. Will check out Irritant next...
    Protein is very Canterburyesque (both conceptually and musically) and highly recommended. Never heard the follow-up (was there any ?)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Krautman View Post
    Protein is very Canterburyesque (both conceptually and musically) and highly recommended. Never heard the follow-up (was there any ?)
    Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Yeah man, Irritant is really worth checking out. I actually heard it before Protein, and then went backwards.

I really like these guys.
    Irritant is on my to-do list

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Krautman View Post
    There was -- Irritant, which came out in 2017 I believe. It's very good!