Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Cruise to the Edge 2015

Live Prog bands on 4 stages, Prog covers on a 5th stage, Prog M&Gs in one of the lounges, Prog playing over the PA system in the corridors, Prog videos on the cabin TV's - How much more Prog can you handle?
    Shame they couldn't have looped Fripp & Eno's No Pussyfooting in the lifts!

Next CTTE is in 2017 apparently (hopefully back to Spring rather than Autumn) - started saving already.

Quote Originally Posted by Obscured View Post

Overall I enjoyed these...except for the singer, who was clearly having a rather, um, pitchy night. Tough stuff to sing, no doubt, and maybe it was a case of poor monitors.....but he was, at times, painful.

But I thought they managed to pull everything off without Green beyond admirably. He was, of course, missed...but I'm confident that he'll be back...

One notable thing about CTTE2014 was the number of opportunities for special guests to join in.
    Apart from the Chris Squire Tribute, there didn't seen to be many opportunities taken this time.
    Only ones we saw were Billy Sherwood's appearance with the Dave Kerzner Band (I forget which song this was on) and Steve Hogarth's appearance with the Steve Rothery Band (Afraid of Sunlight and Easter) - a show I enjoyed more than Marillion's own!!!!
    We did try to catch some of Casey McPherson's set in the Atrium only to arrive just as Neil Morse and Mike Portnoy were leaving the stage (I guess they may have just played a Flying Colors song) - oops! CMcP's backing band was Jonas Reingold, Felix Lehrmann and Eric Gillette - Shouldn't have missed that one!
    We were expecting that NM would join Spock's for a song but, although he came along to watch the pool stage show, that didn't happen this time (I had my fingers crossed for a debut of the new song on the SB compilation album).
    Maybe there just wasn't enough time to rehearse, NM did have a busy cruise.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by r2daft2 View Post
    Live Prog bands on 4 stages, Prog covers on a 5th stage, Prog M&Gs in one of the lounges, Prog playing over the PA system in the corridors, Prog videos on the cabin TV's - How much more Prog can you handle?
    Shame they couldn't have looped Fripp & Eno's No Pussyfooting in the lifts!

Next CTTE is in 2017 apparently (hopefully back to Spring rather than Autumn) - started saving already.
    They were piping prog through the ship's sound system the whole time - I usually just heard it in the corridor outside my cabin. Also, there were a CTTE channel on the TVs in the cabins.

There was also Karaoke every night in a very cool, cushy, dark lounge, which was sometimes prog, sometimes just rock. One guy did Karaoke of Thick as a Brick, which was enjoyable. I ended most nights in here with a tropical cocktail. It was just fun prog indulgence!

Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    Overall I enjoyed these...except for the singer, who was clearly having a rather, um, pitchy night. Tough stuff to sing, no doubt, and maybe it was a case of poor monitors.....but he was, at times, painful.

But I thought they managed to pull everything off without Green beyond admirably. He was, of course, missed...but I'm confident that he'll be back...
    To me, Pierre seemed to warm up after a bit at both shows. It's not his usual gig - we had a nice conversation about his day job and how no one there really gives a crap about his Three Friends gig. I thought he did great, personally, but I can see how it took a certain amount of prog rose-tinted glasses to fully enjoy it.

BTW, at one of the after hour "prog jams," Saga's drummer sat in on a rendition of Rush's Tom Sawyer that kicked ass! It really was a week of over indulgence, and I loved it. I'm including the pre-show, and Dave Kerzner's show in Miami the Friday before the cruise.

[QUOTE=JKL2000;490417]To me, Pierre seemed to warm up after a bit at both shows. It's not his usual gig - we had a nice conversation about his day job and how no one there really gives a crap about his Three Friends gig. I thought he did great, personally, but I can see how it took a certain amount of prog rose-tinted glasses to fully enjoy it.

Hey Jed, thanks for coming to Pierre's aid. He is a great singer and a great person too!! He's been singing Gentle Giant tunes for years now and always there to help out in the event of vocal issues. As stated, GG music is very difficult to sing and I feel that for the most part, Pierre does an admirable job. His day job is not about singing, however, he does do many gigs with other accomplished musicians who are more than welcome to have him at the helm.
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

Dave, I really enjoyed Pierre's singing - as I sort of said, it took a few bars for him to get adjusted, but it often takes that for Steve Hogarth too! A song like Think of Me with Kindness I think he did a great job on, and that's definitely not an easy one to sing.

Also, he was super nice and down to earth, and I really sort of connected with him when we talked. He's a big GG fan, it's clear.

Dave, while you're here, can you PM me Bill's email address if you have it? I spent a lot of time with him and his wife on the cruise, but never got to exchange email addresses. Thanks!

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    This is not the vocalist we saw fronting TF in Montreal in October...he was great. Forget his name though.