Thread: Kenny Wheeler RIP

Sherbrooke, Quebec, Canada; Montreal, Quebec, Canada; Coburn Gore, Maine, USA

Kenny Wheeler RIP

Not prog but of interest for those that like ECM

http://ottawacitizen.com/entertainme...-kenny-wheeler

Huge huge loss. Probably the most important Canadian musician of our time. His trumpet playing was sublime. His gifts Asa composer were underrated. Two words- "Angel Song"

Played on Bruford's "Feels Good To Me" album.
    RIP.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

A big loss. I loved his ECM stuff as well as contributions to David Sylvian recordings. RIP.

Good player, good musician. RIP.......
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Quote Originally Posted by Obscured View Post
    Played on Bruford's "Feels Good To Me" album.
    RIP.
    That's the one that introduced his work to me. It was love at first listen. Later with David Sylvian it was like a reunion. Rest in peace.
    (B.t.w. I believe he played on the original LP from Jesus Christ Superstar.)

I am devastated. Here's what I wrote on Facebook:

Oh no....I had not heard. One of the giants of modern jazz for the past half century, beyond being a player of inestimable and inimitable virtuosity, his legacy may well be his writing. Who else could write music like this, like Gnu High, his other superb ECM recordings or any of the many, many great albums he has released in recent years on Cam Jazz? He leaves a legacy...but beyond that, he was one of the most humble men I've ever met. I interviewed Norma Winstone in 2001 for a project that never took off, and she referred to him as the "Ellington of our times." The next day I spoke to him; the Ellington of our times simply never realized just how important the music he made was. No matter. We'll take care of that for him. RIP Kenny; you will be so, so missed.
    But add to that the loss of master Indian mandolinist U. Srinivas - at 45 years of age - and it's been a terrible week.

Fabulous musician!
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

In an uplifting coda to the sad news, it's wonderful to know that Kenny reunited with ECM shortly before his death and a new album should be out next year.

Gnu High remains one of my top 5 jazz records.

Matt.

Very sad to hear this. Kenny is one of my all-time favourite musicians. As a composer, he wrote melodies of profound beauty, a rare quality among jazz musicians. His earlier stuff like 'Gnu High' is certainly classic, but during the last decade he released wonderful records, such as 'Mirrors' with Norma Winstone and the London Vocal Project. I am surprised to read that he rejoined the ECM roster. If I remember correctly, he said in an interview a few years back that his split was acrimonious and that he would never ever record for ECM again. I can't remember exactly the reason, it was like they did something without his approval. Thanks Matt for the news, and, by the way, I hope things with the new Sanguine Hum album are going smoothly. Could you please be so kind to give us an update?

Not familiar with his post 1980 works but "Song for Someone" (with an excellent performance by Norma Winstone) and "Gnu High" are beautiful albums.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Love his ECM albums in particular. Never saw him perform, but I saw him once in person. This was in 2002 when SoftWorks (Allan Holdsworth, Elton Dean, John Marshall and Hugh Hopper) were recording their album. Prior to the actual recording they rehearsed at a place called The Premises, and during a pause in the lobby a bunch of other musicians came in, who included Wheeler. Elton had recorded an album with him (and Joe Gallivan), and John Marshall had played with him countless times in the late 60s/early 70s. Allan, it turned out, hadn't seen him at all since recording the Bruford album.
    Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/ + "King Crimson" (2012/updated 2018) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/kingcrimson/
    Canterbury & prog interviews - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdf...IUPxUMA/videos

Quote Originally Posted by zyryab View Post
    I am surprised to read that he rejoined the ECM roster. If I remember correctly, he said in an interview a few years back that his split was acrimonious and that he would never ever record for ECM again. I can't remember exactly the reason, it was like they did something without his approval.
    There was a recent appeal for health care supporting funds for Kenny and his wife as their financial situation was dire. This info came from a blog that specializes in the British Free Jazz/Improv scene but I won't give a link here as it hosts links to mainly lossless files of long out of print albums and I'm not sure if that's allowed here.

Anyway, the return to ECM may have been motivated by that poor financial situation as ECM, while not a huge as the majors, could probably promote and sell a lot more units than a smaller label.

It's very sad that an artist of Kenny's stature would have to exit life in an apparent situation where he had to be concerned about having enough money to continue living.

Another thing to think about, though, is this from Keith Tippett: "May music never just become another way of making money."
    Last edited by nsmith1002; 09-23-2014 at 09:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by zyryab View Post
    Very sad to hear this. Kenny is one of my all-time favourite musicians. As a composer, he wrote melodies of profound beauty, a rare quality among jazz musicians. His earlier stuff like 'Gnu High' is certainly classic, but during the last decade he released wonderful records, such as 'Mirrors' with Norma Winstone and the London Vocal Project. I am surprised to read that he rejoined the ECM roster. If I remember correctly, he said in an interview a few years back that his split was acrimonious and that he would never ever record for ECM again. I can't remember exactly the reason, it was like they did something without his approval. Thanks Matt for the news, and, by the way, I hope things with the new Sanguine Hum album are going smoothly. Could you please be so kind to give us an update?
    I remember that interview...I think in Jazzwise. Kenny had said he had been offering Manfred various projects, but he seemed to not be interested. So Kenny moved on to other areas.

And the Hum album is going great thanks! Late Jan 2015 hopefully...and somewhat connected to this thread, we have a guest musician on the album who plays in a trio with Stan Sulzman, and Stan is on the new ECM Wheeler disc.

Matt.

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    Not familiar with his post 1980 works ...
    What Now? from 2005, with Chris Potter, Dave Holland, & John Taylor is hip. All tunes by Kenny.

A big band date from a couple of years ago, The Long Waiting, is real nice as well; all tunes composed and arranged by Kenny.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    What Now? from 2005, with Chris Potter, Dave Holland, & John Taylor is hip. All tunes by Kenny.
    Beautiful record!

RIP.

He made mostly great records for many years. Around 6 is my very favorite.