Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tom Waits on artists using their work in commercials

Quote Originally Posted by Rickenbacker View Post
    "I really don't care about what Tom Waits has to say about struggling musicians trying to gain exposure in the only viable way the industry has left for them."

Cried a musician acquaintance of mine who challenged the article.

1st off, I'm not sure how much Densmore is struggling. I'd agree with regards to young, up & coming musicians though.
    I found 2 sources that say Densmore's net worth is about 10 million. Krieger about 5,000,000. Manzarek either 25 or 55 million. Morrison was worth 15 or 80 million when he died. Now? supposedly $350m.

when I hear word like "hip" "hipster" or "pure artist" I change the channel whether I'm watching tv or listening to radio or neither.

I would sell one of my songs to be used in a commercial.
    I love Tom Waits, but he also sued and got 2.6 million!
    2.6 MILLION!
    If I could make even 250k off music and be debt free, you bet your ass I would!
    And I bet 99% of you would too.
    You can poison and pervert my song all you want, heck fuck it as much as you want for that kinda money!

If millionaires wanna help me out as a musician, pay off my house for me. Until then, they can shove their "musical integrity"
    It's always easy for people with tons of money to preach about something that most would jump at the chance to get.

^^ You clearly don't get the point. Many artists consider their work to be sacred. Just because you'd don't care if someone uses your art against your will to sell underwear, doesn't men nobody else should. ^^
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I wonder how much of Waits' 2.6 million went to his lawyer(s)

Quote Originally Posted by davis View Post
    Morrison was worth 15 or 80 million when he died.
    I'd be shocked if even the former number were so, let alone the latter. No one was making that kind of cake in 1970.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    I'd be shocked if even the former number were so, let alone the latter. No one was making that kind of cake in 1970.
    Indeed. Even Jimi only had about $300,000.00 to his name, which, I believe, went to Al Hendrix. Of course, he was swindled, like so many back then.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by davis View Post
    I wonder how much of Waits' 2.6 million went to his lawyer(s)
    probably the standard 1/3 + expenses

Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    those are the figures I found out there on the web. the 15 million is easily closest to being correct, even if it's a stretch.