I wonder if anyone else is currently reading Jeff VanderMeer's excellent Southern Reach trilogy?

Anyone familiar with his work will know that he deals with the uncanny in reality, the "weird". This Trilogy, to my way of reading, has strong connections back to the Sturgatsky brothers' Roadside Picnic (the inspiration for Tarkovsky's film Stalker), M John Harrison's Light trilogy (especially the 2nd volume - &, intriguingly, *light* is one of the leitmotifs, as it were, of Vandermeer's trilogy), & Algis Budrys' Rogue Moon, amongst others.

But also, at the very heart of the books is the figure of the lighthouse, &, in particular, a lighthousekeeper, who becomes "infected". Another key leitmotif is that of doppelgangers, of characters splitting & doubling.

And then, very near the end (I'm trying to avoid plot spoilers here!), there comes this important sentence: "There came to Control in that moment of extremity...an overwhelming feeling of connection, that nothing was truly apart...there arose a powerful music within him that he did not fully understand..." [italics in original]

So, anyone else who is reading this think that maybe VanderMeer had been giving Pawn Hearts a spin whilst the Southern Reach trilogy was gestating?