Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Just Heard Buckethead for first time! Any thoughts or fans??

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    I saw these guys twice, and they never had an opening act.
    Bastard 2X.

I listened from 'Giant Robots' through some of 'Funnel Weaver'. I definitely like Colma, MaR, SOtS & what I've heard of FW. w/Praxis, I really dig T(MM) and Sacrifist.

Here he goes ballistic with Tony Williams, Bill Laswell (Arcana - Arc of the testimony)

Quote Originally Posted by gpeccary View Post
    Bastard...

I've seen him live, and as above, he's a trip! I have a bunch of his solo pieces, you can never really tell or imagine what you're going to get. My take is he's a killer player, without question, but hes a bit too ADD for my taste to listen to some of his electric work all the way through. It's like he can't follow a thought through to its conclusion before he changes direction. Its tough for me to follow and maintain my interest.
    His acoustic work is sublime. Colma, named after the graveyard Wyatt Earp (I think) is buried in, of course, is really great.
    Enjoy the discovery!
    Colma was so named as his mother had colon cancer at the time. It is also a graveyard south of San Francisco.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colma_(album)

I've been hearing about this guy for years now, but it's always the same thing - great but quirky, if not annoying. Brilliant, if you can find the right albums.

So, as someone who knows nothing about him, I've always been hesitant to buy anything.

Sounds like Colma would be a good place to start.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Colma strikes me as kind of a pretty sounding lightweight record... really not bad, but it probably won't burn into the brain as deep as Praxis Metatron or even Octave of the Holy Innocents.

I just "discovered" Buckethead a few months ago because someone here posted a link to an entire album of his on YouTube. The album in question was Electric Tears (2002), which is rather atypical for him - no drums, largely acoustic but with tastefully restrained electric lead work, pretty laid back overall... and quite excellent. I ended up buying it. Watch some of the audience videos on YT of him performing; he's very quirky but nonetheless quite talented and, imho, very entertaining. Often he plays to backing tracks, but sometime you'll see him with a bassist and drummer. Not only does he shred like there's no tomorrow, he does these strange robotic dances, gives away toys, and he's also pretty good with nunchaku. I don't think there are too many other guitarists who do 10 finger tapping. According to wikipedia he's ranked 8th in the "fastest shredders" category - not that that means ANYTHING to me - but clearly he can also play with a great deal of emotion. His custom Gibson LP has arcade-style kill switches both on the upper bout and down by the pickup selector switch, and he uses these to great effect.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buckethead

Soothsayer:

Binge and Grab:

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I've been hearing about this guy for years now, but it's always the same thing - great but quirky, if not annoying. Brilliant, if you can find the right albums.

So, as someone who knows nothing about him, I've always been hesitant to buy anything.

Colma is an acoustic based album. A good one for sure. For electric albums I'd start with Population Override.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post

he's a brilliant guitarist. quirky? no doubt. I'd say eccentric or bizarre, both of which are turn-ons for me as long as I like the music. I'd recommend starting with 'Colma' and 'Somewhere Over the Slaughterhouse' because a). of the contrast between them and b). both are great imo. I've just gotten into his music during the last 2 or 3 weeks; starting with 'Giant Robot' and moving forward. 'Bermuda Triangle' is next.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe F. View Post
    For electric albums I'd start with Population Override.
    I would add "Pepper's Ghost" also.

Neato, fella! 15 minutes into Bucketheadland 2. This is easily my favorite so far.

Proud Member since 2/2002 UnderAGlassMoon's Avatar
    Holy crap! I had no idea how prolific this guy is, over 50 albums plus all of the side projects. Also had no idea he has recorded with Viggo Mortensen, anybody heard any of that?

I have heard very little of his music, but with the massive quantity of releases does the quality suffer?
    Last edited by UnderAGlassMoon; 08-15-2013 at 01:50 PM.
    Eric: "What the hell Hutch, it's all Rush, what if we wanted a little variety?"

Hutch: "Rush is variety, Bitch! Rule number one: in my van, its Rush! All Rush, all the time...no exceptions."

From "Fanboys" 2009.

^ Little if at all in my experience. Some of what I'm hearing doesn't hit the spot, but the majority of it definitely does. I'm making lists of what to buy at Amazon and at iTunes. Just added 'Inbred Mountain' to the iTunes list. (fortunately, we're pretty slow at work right now)

there's some good Buckethead shows available at the internet archive. I haven't listened to all of them but I like this one a lot. Buckethead Live at Club Infinity on 2008-07-28
    i.ain't.dead.irock

Quote Originally Posted by Bake 1 View Post
    Colma strikes me as kind of a pretty sounding lightweight record... really not bad, but it probably won't burn into the brain as deep as Praxis Metatron or even Octave of the Holy Innocents.
    It's amazing how many times I've listen to Colma since it was released so long ago, and it certainly has burned its way into my brain. I love the simplicity of the guitar and the drum kit, it kicks. Does he have any other albums or tracks on other albums that approaches this vibe on Colma?

Thread revival:

I'd heard of him, but not really being fan of Metal had not thought it would work for me. Um, I have no idea why I didn't listen sooner because I am completely blown away by this. I don't even know if there's rhyme or reason about which album to listen to or not although Bandcamp had a nice feature about him this week. Suffice it to say I'll be busy in 2019 listening to this music.
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

Buckethead psychologically stifled me. He put out so many albums I totally turned off to him. (Like over a hundred albums in a year?) Not his fault...My bad, I guess. Felt like I was stuffing my face with freshly cooked donuts while working at Dunkin Donuts. Too much.
    Last edited by Crawford Glissadevil; 01-01-2019 at 05:57 PM.

I've seen him live a couple of times, one of which was the Progfest appearance alluded to earlier in this thread. Didn't do a lot for me.

I used to see a wagon regularly parked in my neighborhood with a mural on the side involving Buckethead. I always wondered if it was his and he was a neighbor of mine. Since he called an album Colma, I gather he does hail from this neck of the woods (San Mateo County).
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    I mentioned in 2013 that I'd seen him open for H/L/S, and that his drummer Pinchface was fun.

He was kind of a comedy emcee for the set. I understand that he's now a real estate agent, which I find somehow hilarious.

https://www.zillow.com/profile/sunsethomes1/

Quote Originally Posted by Splicer View Post
    Thread revival:

I'd heard of him, but not really being fan of Metal had not thought it would work for me. Um, I have no idea why I didn't listen sooner because I am completely blown away by this. I don't even know if there's rhyme or reason about which album to listen to or not although Bandcamp had a nice feature about him this week. Suffice it to say I'll be busy in 2019 listening to this music.
    Thanks for reviving this thread. I'd always meant to check him out but didn't know where on Earth to start. I bought Colma due to the mentions on this thread. and think it's amazing. I too will be busy in 2019 listening to his music

Quote Originally Posted by ScottAM View Post
    It's amazing how many times I've listen to Colma since it was released so long ago, and it certainly has burned its way into my brain. I love the simplicity of the guitar and the drum kit, it kicks. Does he have any other albums or tracks on other albums that approaches this vibe on Colma?
    You might like the Electric Sea and Electric Tears releases. Some of the tracks, (like The Interworld And The New Innocence) from Praxis / Mutatis Mutandis could work too. He has a massive discography and there could quite a bit more stuff from him that really resonates w/ your particular skull contents.

Quote Originally Posted by Magog View Post
    He is all over the place. It's hit or miss with me. I respect him for that. When he hits, I love it.

Magog
    yep... same here.

He has something like 100 albums out and each album varies from Rock to Metal to Ambient to Electronic to Avant to Acoustic
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

wow... just... awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Koreabruce View Post
    Soothsayer:
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?