Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sloche

Sloche

Who like these guys? Just ordered their 2 albums. They sound awesome. French Canadian prog from mid 70s

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Very good band, both albums are great.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.
    I'm one of the 212.

One of the finest from a very deep ProgQuébec catalogue!
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Probably my favorites from Canada. Super fantastic band, so happy these CDs were reissued. They get a lot of attention at our house.

Bill

I have and love both of their albums. Excellent stuff!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 4 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I've had them for years and wished they would have produced more.

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    Probably my favorites from Canada. Super fantastic band, so happy these CDs were reissued. They get a lot of attention at our house.

Bill
    Same here.

Great tunes, great arrangements & lots of dynamics.

What's not to like?
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Love both their albums, really some of the finest from Quebec (and there is really some competition)

Add one more to the chorus who thinks both albums are great. They're not my favorite from Quebec (that would go to Opus-5 "Contre Courant" for me), but they're certainly in the discussion.

Yes I own and enjoy both of these too. There are several really good artists from Quebec from this period, that I wish would have recorded more stuff (Et Cetera's only album is another, and this is maybe my personal favorite. Another mellower (overall) artist from then/there that I like is 'Contraction'.-I could go on and on...)

I also enjoy both of these recordings.

Quote Originally Posted by ashratom View Post
    They're not my favorite from Quebec (that would go to Opus-5 "Contre Courant" for me), but they're certainly in the discussion.
    I love both Opus-5 albums, although they're quite different from one another.

Sloche are up there, as are Conventum, Maneige, L'Engoulevent, Contraction, (some) Morse Code, Pollen, Harmonium, L'Orchestre Sympathique, Et Cetera, ExCubus, Seguin, Octobre, (some) Offenbach, (some) Le Temps, (some) Guillotine etc.

Except for Spirit of Christmas and some very few other names, I never got a grip on much progressive from Ontario - and I view Rush as a heavy rock group primarily. Good one, though.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

These are right up at the top for me with Contraction, Pollen and Opus-5. Quebec was a really deep scene and really produced a number of worthy albums. I'd add Breche - Carapace et Chair Tendre as one of the hidden gems that tends to go under the radar in these discussions (for which I have Monsieur McFee to thank for pointing out to me on a vinyl pilgrimage to Montreal).

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    ...ExCubus, Le Temps, (some) Guillotine etc.
    These are the ones I'm unfamiliar with - what are they like?

Fantastic albums. I like the first one a bit more than the second but even then - both are great!

éí 'aaníígÓÓ 'áhoot'é Don Arnold's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Phlakaton View Post
    Fantastic albums. I like the first one a bit more than the second but even then - both are great!
    I was going to ask those who have both albums, if you were to recommend one of them to someone who wanted to take the Sloche plunge, which of their two would you choose? I'd like to pick up one at some point, and if there is a clear favourite, I'll go with it. - - thanks! - -

Quote Originally Posted by Pr33t View Post
    These are the ones I'm unfamiliar with - what are they like?
    ExCubus were a 70s act whose recordings only resurfaced in the past decade and were finished by a revamped version of the band. They were like a rawer and heavier equivalent to Le Orme or early Triumvirat to my ears. Really quite good material on there.

Le Temps started out pretty much as a full-on Harmonium acolyte, but had some rather nice twists to the fore on their second album. Rather folky.

As were Guillotine, a sort of folky proto-prog outfit with the obvious post-psych antic still in place. I used to have their album on vinyl, but I seem to have lost it somehow. I believe there's a CD rendition available. Haven't listened to it in years, but I remember having vague allusions towards US band Providence (the one that recorded for the Moodies' Threshold label) or even classic Yugoslavian act S Vremena Na Vreme albeit not quite as refined as either.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Love the Sloche albums, but the first Aquarelle and Pangee albums top my Canadienne list

also great are Maneige, Contraction and Contrevent
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Oh, I forgot about Aquarelle-heard some of that a couple years ago and loved it, but I think I couldn't find the album at the time.

I have NOT heard Opus-5, so I'll add that to my list, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    One of the finest from a very deep ProgQuébec catalogue!
    and yet soooo incomplete

But yeah, Sloche and Maneige are tops in that dept.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Arnold View Post
    I was going to ask those who have both albums, if you were to recommend one of them to someone who wanted to take the Sloche plunge, which of their two would you choose? I'd like to pick up one at some point, and if there is a clear favourite, I'll go with it. - - thanks! - -

They're really both excellent, rather hard to say which is better ... If push comes to shoven I guess most would say Stadacone, but
    personally, I find J'un Oeil a little attractive (and less fusion-y).

Comparing to Maneige, it's as if J'un Oeuil was more of Les Porches and Stadacone was a Libre Service
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Arnold View Post
    I think both are solid albums and there are not signficant differences between them, either in quality or style. But this is what Youtube is for, so check them out there and decide for yourself.

ExCubus were a 70s act whose recordings only resurfaced in the past decade and were finished by a revamped version of the band. They were like a rawer and heavier equivalent to Le Orme or early Triumvirat to my ears. Really quite good material on there.
    Those close to the scene back at the time would remember them from their live shows as Incubus, but they never released material under that name. Other lost groups from that time include Lasting Weep (obviously un-lost now) and Necessite, which was an early-70s group featuring Serge Locat of Harmonium and (at one point) Claude Lemay of Pollen.

Le Temps started out pretty much as a full-on Harmonium acolyte, but had some rather nice twists to the fore on their second album. Rather folky.

As were Guillotine, a sort of folky proto-prog outfit with the obvious post-psych antic still in place. I used to have their album on vinyl, but I seem to have lost it somehow. I believe there's a CD rendition available. Haven't listened to it in years, but I remember having vague allusions towards US band Providence (the one that recorded for the Moodies' Threshold label) or even classic Yugoslavian act S Vremena Na Vreme albeit not quite as refined as either.
    Cool, I will check these out. The S Vremena Na Vreme comparison is intriguing, even if I shouldn't be expecting the same quality.

Quote Originally Posted by smcfee View Post
    Necessite, which was an early-70s group featuring Serge Locat of Harmonium and (at one point) Claude Lemay of Pollen.
    If Guillotine stil;l rings a bell (though I'd not describe as folk rock (though there is some), Nécessité, I've never heard of... What did that sound like??

Can't wait until they arrive in the mail. I'm liking the first album more on YouTube though. I also ordered the album by ZED which features klaus blasquiz from 1980 I think. Was just reissued on cd. Also ordered 2 albums by The Trip from early 70s and Citta violenta by ennio morricone which is a Charles Bronson movie soundtrack from 1970