Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: YES News: Relayer goes 5.1 Next(Steven Wilson)

YES News: Relayer goes 5.1 Next(Steven Wilson)

Finally,we will get a new mix in high resolution stereo and 5.1 Surround Sound. OMG!!! I can't wait. www.yesworld.com or @ facebook Yes(Official)

Due Oct, so not so far off

Looking forward!

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

Awesome! Probably my favorite Yes album.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by Rand Kelly View Post
    Finally,we will get a new mix in high resolution stereo and 5.1 Surround Sound. OMG!!! I can't wait. www.yesworld.com or @ facebook Yes(Official)
    Any ideas of what "bonus audio material" they are referring to?

I will literally sh!t in my pants. This is the one that could really benefit from a decent remix.

Quote Originally Posted by happytheman View Post
    Any ideas of what "bonus audio material" they are referring to?
    That's why I'm buying, whatever it turns out to be !

Nice! Never actually bought this one before so one more time surround will be the impetus.

Should prove to be an excellent release, although I'm still crossing my fingers for a surround mix of Tales.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

If there is one album that was made for this kind of treatment--it is this one. wow!

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    This is the one that could really benefit from a decent remix.
    I don't normally care for Steve Wilson's work, but in the case of Relayer I kind of agree. I will definitely want to hear this one.

John Boegehold
    Great! One of my worst sounding / favorite albums.

Quote Originally Posted by Brainforest View Post
    Great! One of my worst sounding / favorite albums.
    Their best work, godawful tinny Tele on bridge pup.

Groovy. I agree with everyone here. I cant wait to hear this one all new and fresh!

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    I don't normally care for Steve Wilson's work, but in the case of Relayer I kind of agree. I will definitely want to hear this one.
    How/why do you not care for his work? His remixing work is pretty much universally lauded all over the internet, including audiophile forums (assuming Peter Mew isn't doing the master ala Thick As A Brick).

Quote Originally Posted by marblesmike View Post
    How/why do you not care for his work? His remixing work is pretty much universally lauded all over the internet, including audiophile forums (assuming Peter Mew isn't doing the master ala Thick As A Brick).
    Asked and answered in other threads. In short - I have not heard all of his work but don't generally like his remixes, based on what I have heard. I find that they often sound artificial and sometimes don't honor the music being re-mixed.

The albums of original music that he produces often sound overdone and lifeless, IMO. I'm far from alone in this, as the audiophile community is not at all unified about the quality of his work, either in the remixing or mastering. The main audiophile guy on this board (Carney?) doesn't ususally like work either, based on what I've read.

Anyway, in the case of Relayer, I'd be open to trying him again, since I think that there's a lot that could be done with the album to improve it.

Holy shit! Sound Chaser in 5.1 will probably blow my head clear off my body. Yay!
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

Quote Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post
    Never actually bought this one before

I'm glad he's tackling it (though I really hope he also eventually tackles Tales). I'm curious what state the original tapes (or if they've already been digitized, the original digital transfers) are in. The original mix was -- needless to say -- shrill. My knee jerk assumption would be that he'd want to give everything a lot more depth, especially in the lower range. I don't know if he can make that happen from the existing source material or if he'll have to fake that into the mixes.
    Last edited by Paulrus; 08-25-2014 at 12:51 PM.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

I love SW's music generally but I'm not really a fan of his remixes either. I think that Passion Play has been the best so far. (I'm talking stereo mixes; my 5.1 rig is in mothballs). But there's almost no way Relayer cannot improve. Just using the damn pan pot and getting it away from mono will help.

While I didn't care much for the EL&P remixes, I think Lark's Tongue in Aspic and Lizard are revelations. Really enjoying Passion Play and Power and the Glory as well. I don't have the Hawkwind or Caravan, but pretty much all of the others and think they are all improvements. Let's not forget it all depends on what it is he has to work with.

Very excited to hear Relayer, definitely on of my favorite Yes albums.

Just my 2 cents.

The albums of original music that he produces often sound overdone and lifeless, IMO. I'm far from alone in this, as the audiophile community is not at all unified about the quality of his work, either in the remixing or mastering. The main audiophile guy on this board (Carney?) doesn't ususally like work either, based on what I've read.
    Not a fan. In short: Remixing analog recordings on a PC renders a sound which is clean but without much life. I've yet to hear him improve on a single mix he's done. The surround mixes, I understand (although I wish he'd buy an actual board and do them in analog ala surround mixes of Pink Floyd albums). But what people are drawn to when he does nothing but save a couple of generations of tape and just re-assembles a stereo mix on his PC is something which eludes me.

Anyway, in the case of Relayer, I'd be open to trying him again, since I think that there's a lot that could be done with the album to improve it.
    Yeah, but ironically, part of Relayer's charm is how it sounds. It shows where the band were at the time. Completely brilliant, pushing the envelope and maybe trying to do things recording-wise which were out of their grasp. What can be done to it? Rhino tried by making it much bassier and removing a lot of top end, but many people thought it sounded wonky. Would you lower Howe's Tele in the mix? Bring up the keys?

I think these projects have become more about people wanting to rebuy their favorite albums because so much music today doesn't move them. I can relate, believe me, but real, analog surround mixes are what we should all be pushing for if this music is important enough. Just listen to a surround mix done for Pink Floyd in analog by James Guthrie. Or even Nick Davis' Genesis surrounds. Those Genesis 5.1s may have issues but they were mixed in analog and sound analog. Wilson's stuff sounds cold, clinical and sterile. The last things progressive rock needs in a world where it is often misperceived as those things in the first place.

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Jeff, where are Steven Wilson's mixing practices documented?
    Chad

pre-ordered. cant wait for this.

Quote Originally Posted by Nearfest2 View Post
    Jeff, where are Steven Wilson's mixing practices documented?
    Chad, GIYF.

He uses a hybrid Pro-Tools/Logic Pro setup. Here is a picture of his studio. If there is a 24-Track mixing desk there, it is hiding admirably. This picture is a few years old but I hear nothing in his work to indicate he has changed his methods and acquired an analog console like the major players in the surround game. He does digital remixes. People can like them or not. That's what he does.

Tree_02.jpg

I probably get it for the included flat transfer of the original mix. The remix is like bonus material for me.