Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 10CC

A pretty fine looking 10CC box set due out shortly.

Was a massive fan back in the day but have never heard anything since Bloody Tourists.

Looks awesome!
    Sleeping at home is killing the hotel business!

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Yep, it's a beauty!
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

got what I need (Sheet-Soundtrack-Dare & Ramases' Space Hymn)

The rest is superfluous (IMHO)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

There would have to be a lot of good unreleased bonus tracks on those 2 discs to rope me in; can't find a tracklisting anywhere yet...

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I don't own ANY 10CC, so this is a possibility. I used to have Bloody Tourists on vinyl back in a day. But I really only have passing familiarity with their discography.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    I think Bloody Tourist is underrated.

^^^

Agreed about BT! Really solid album full of good songs - or at least I felt that way the last time I heard it, 43 years ago or something.

Quote Originally Posted by mkeneally View Post
    ^^^

Agreed about BT! Really solid album full of good songs - or at least I felt that way the last time I heard it, 43 years ago or something.
    TBH, I don't think 10CC survived very well the departure of Godley & Creme.
    They were four very gifted songwriters and being reduced to two of them hurt them deeply

It starts to show in DBends, but it's rather obvious in BTourists (only Dreadlock is really worthy of their best tracks).

even Live and Let Live is missing (IMHP) G&C - though I've not heard a live album with the full quartet. I've only seen them live in the 00's (twice) but they were great - partly because they sounded on stage like in the studio - but only Stewart was left.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    I think Bloody Tourist is underrated.
    I personally find it overrated. I was surprised to hear that it was fairly well-regarded, as I was quite disappointed when I first heard it. So I went back and listened to it and...perhaps I was a bit harsh, but in general it feels like Gouldman and Stewart ran out of steam after Deceptive Bends. A lot of the album just feels uninspired and there's many forgettable filler tracks. Also, I never want to hear "From Rochdale to Ocho Rios" ever again.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

BT is pretty good, but a big step down for me. I gave up there, don't own any after that.

I have Sheet Music, to How Dare You. Lost interest when they sub devided.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    TBH, I don't think 10CC survived very well the departure of Godley & Creme.
    They were four very gifted songwriters and being reduced to two of them hurt them deeply
    True. From Deceptive Bends and onwards, only few individual tracks justify their songwriting legacy.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Agreed. I find the work Godley and Creme did around the same time to be a lot more satisfying. That balance between quirk and pop is what made those first four 10cc albums so amazing. They managed to nail the balance on Deceptive Bends but let the quirk fade into the background after that. It pretty much went with G&C. The albums they did are a lot more diverse sounding. The post G&C 10cc stuff seems mired in attempts to get a single that resonated with the "I'm Not In Love" crowd.

They made their masterpiece “Feel The Benefit” without Godley and Creme. And as an American, I never heard the song “Dreadlock Holiday” until I picked up the Bloody Tourists album a few years ago. It’s not even one of the better songs on the album; sort of a silly novelty track in my opinion.

Good balance between pop n weirdness in their original lineup. Then the two paradigms separated, one half going only pop and the other only weird! Still DB is maybe my favourite and then BT a quick decline...
    My Progressive Workshop at http://soundcloud.com/hfxx

Quote Originally Posted by yesstiles View Post
    They made their masterpiece “Feel The Benefit” without Godley and Creme. And as an American, I never heard the song “Dreadlock Holiday” until I picked up the Bloody Tourists album a few years ago. It’s not even one of the better songs on the album; sort of a silly novelty track in my opinion.
    Novelty that's lasted 45 years. You can still hear it on Belgian national classic rock station almost every day (Not In Love being the other one)

As for Benefit in DB, that's really the tree hiding the forest, with GM Judge and MD Blues, maybe. Add Got a Cold and that's it for me.
    Not that much else on that album, IMHO (don't mention Things We Do, please), but it's still acceptable as a whole (which is more than I can say for BT).

Considering S&G were 50% of the 4 great songwriters 10CC, they should've had at least a half-album great, and they managed that, but the rest is subpar, IMHO.
    Not that I think G&C fared any better in their solo-duo adventures, though.
    Last edited by Trane; 10-08-2023 at 09:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    I've only seen them live in the 00's (twice) but they were great - partly because they sounded on stage like in the studio - but only Stewart was left.
    Graham Gouldman, I suspect.

I agree, I never liked Dreadlock Holiday and Feel The Benefit was a definite highlight. I had the Godley & Creme album L which was not what I was expecting at all and glad that I never forked out for Consequences because it turns out the single of Five O Clock In The Morning/ The Flood were the best things on there. To be honest that while while the 13 year old me heard the fun aspects of all the tunes there were quite a few 'clunkers' on even the first 4 10cc albums. Rock N Roll Lullaby, anyone?

I would politely argue that they already did that with One nuit a Paris/One Night in Paris. Though that's a rather annoying song. I love Feel The Prudence though. It's a great one.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I remember was I was 14, with long flowing hair! i was in a friend's basement and his older brother played 10 cc. I loved it. I ran out an bought Sheet Music and How Dare You. Played them like crazy in the 70s. I think the 4 man line up blew away the new band minus G&C.
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 10-08-2023 at 10:07 PM.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

I dig "Dreadlock Holiday." So Trane not liking it tracks. My fave is probably "Wall Street Shuffle," but I haven't heard a ton.
    Not a band I can't live without. Pretty good where I'm at.

I've always hated "Dreadlock Holiday." For decades I didn't know it was 10cc...I was aware that they had a song called "Dreadlock Holiday" but I didn't realize that it was that song. I've never actually heard any of the post-Godley & Creme albums apart from the radio hits and an odd track here and there ("I Bought A Flat Guitar Tutor"), but it sounds like Deceptive Bends might be worth a try.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Have any of you guys heard Reggae bands do covers of "Dreadlock Holiday?"
    Good stuff, and they don't view it as a white guy joke, apparently.