Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: ALCO Frisbass - new great french duo

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    Next month Maraude Automnale by Paskinel will be released. It's the debut-album from Patrick "PASKINEL" Dufour, member of ALCO FRISBASS.

Nice! Preordered. It's good there's a CD edition.

Bill

^^ Yep, liking that a lot. Will order, thanks!

EDIT/UPDATE: Ordered!
    Last edited by Progatron; 05-12-2023 at 10:07 AM.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Still no drummer.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Still no drummer.
    Yes, noticed that too.

The Paskinel CD arrived today - a day before official release date - after only three days in the mail from France! Now that's unusual. It's terrific BTW, I'm on my second spin already and thoroughly enjoying it.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Paskinel is excellent. Lots of juicy Fender Rhodes with great bass and guitar playing. Big Canterbury and fusion vibes. For programmed drums, they're very good, fwiw.
    Chad

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Nice. definitely interested in hearing this one.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

About to be bought in the next few minutes. .

I almost ordered the Paskinel yesterday, but I got distracted and forgot about it. Good thing. The one I pre-ordered a month ago arrived in the mail today. I'd totally forgotten about it. Wouldn't be the first time I accidentally ordered an album twice. Anyway, I'll be spinning this tonight.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    I almost ordered the Paskinel yesterday, but I got distracted and forgot about it. Good thing. The one I pre-ordered a month ago arrived in the mail today. I'd totally forgotten about it. Wouldn't be the first time I accidentally ordered an album twice. Anyway, I'll be spinning this tonight.

Bill

That almost happened to me last week with a different album/band.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post

That almost happened to me last week with a different album/band.
    This is why I keep all my CDs on a spreadsheet, but I don't log them until I receive them. Usually I can remember when I've bought something, but with pre-orders, or things from foreign countries that take a bit longer to come, I sometimes forget. I'm glad I'm not the only one who suffers from this affliction.

Bill

Bill, no word of a lie, I have a file on my computer called CD_INCOMING.TXT for this very reason.

Yes, I have also done this more often than I care to admit. I have also started to keep detailed records of what I buy, including a 'purchased but not received' list as well. Unfortunately I only started this about 6 years ago so the older stuff I still sometimes struggle to remember what I purchased.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Bill, no word of a lie, I have a file on my computer called CD_INCOMING.TXT for this very reason.
    I may have to go that route. I think part of this is changes in my buying patterns. CDs are being pressed in such small lots now, I'm ordering them when I see them from a wider variety of sources than I used to, before they sell out. It makes it harder to keep track of.

I'm spinning the Paskinel now. I love it so far. That first track reminded me a lot of Deluge Grander, how they just truck along and constantly explore new themes. I'm on the third track now and am really digging what I'm hearing. I hate to say it, but this is grabbing me a lot more quickly than the third Alco Frisbass record, which I personally found a little dull. I need to revisit it, though.

Bill

Bill
    I have at least 20 CDs that I ordered twice by mistake. Most of the time I forget that I already own a title and don't even bother to check my collection Excel file

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Still no drummer.
    This is one of the few bands who utilize drum programming that I actually like. Although it seems to be getting harder for me to be able to tell the difference any more.

Quote Originally Posted by headcrash View Post
    This is one of the few bands who utilize drum programming that I actually like. Although it seems to be getting harder for me to be able to tell the difference any more.
    Agreed. All fake drums should sound this good.

Quote Originally Posted by Zalmoxe View Post
    I have at least 20 CDs that I ordered twice by mistake. Most of the time I forget that I already own a title and don't even bother to check my collection Excel file
    You got me beat, but then I actually check my spreadsheet! [emoji38]

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Maraude Automnale is just excellent. One of the most difficult things in progressive rock songwriting is to be able to present and manipulate a bulk of different musical ideas into a cohesive, single narrative. Patrick Dufour is a true master of this particular trait, the flow of music is uninterrupted and effortless in all 8 tracks. He's one of the very few genuine prog composers in our days, his creativity seems to be able to be grasped and expressed exclusively within the prog rock idiom. He seems to me like a guy who is destined to write this sort of music, and nothing else outside of it.

And his devotion to the genre shows even more in the crazy attention to detail he has invested in this record. There's not a single note, a single decision in the arrangements left to chance. Remarkable adherence to the principle of perfectionism.

Paskinel does not only pay tribute to the Canterbury spirit and the 70's French progressive scene, but also to zeuhl and late 70's Magma, in tracks like One o'clock and in particular L'echo noir. This is not only a very enjoyable record, but also a record with great sensitivity and depth. Respect!

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    Maraude Automnale is just excellent. One of the most difficult things in progressive rock songwriting is to be able to present and manipulate a bulk of different musical ideas into a cohesive, single narrative. Patrick Dufour is a true master of this particular trait, the flow of music is uninterrupted and effortless in all 8 tracks. He's one of the very few genuine prog composers in our days, his creativity seems to be able to be grasped and expressed exclusively within the prog rock idiom. He seems to me like a guy who is destined to write this sort of music, and nothing else outside of it.

And his devotion to the genre shows even more in the crazy attention to detail he has invested in this record. There's not a single note, a single decision in the arrangements left to chance. Remarkable adherence to the principle of perfectionism.

Paskinel does not only pay tribute to the Canterbury spirit and the 70's French progressive scene, but also to zeuhl and late 70's Magma, in tracks like One o'clock and in particular L'echo noir. This is not only a very enjoyable record, but also a record with great sensitivity and depth. Respect!
    Great review Zapp! I really like the first couple of tracks I listened to and snatched this one up from bandcamp today.

Neil

The album has been in the works for several years, and the first track actually dates back to the late 1990s, when Patrick was drumming in a band with Franck Dehaut (now guitarist in Yes tribute band And You And Yes), who returns to guest on this version, playing his original parts. I actually saw them play way back then at a private party (they probably played this track but I obviously can't recall), although I first met Patrick at the Magma anniversary shows at Epinay in 1995.
    Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/ + "King Crimson" (2012/updated 2018) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/kingcrimson/
    Canterbury & prog interviews - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdf...IUPxUMA/videos

Quote Originally Posted by calyx View Post
    The album has been in the works for several years...
    Yes, this makes a lot of sense to me. It really sounds like a complete and well thought of and executed effort

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    This is why I keep all my CDs on a spreadsheet, but I don't log them until I receive them. Usually I can remember when I've bought something, but with pre-orders, or things from foreign countries that take a bit longer to come, I sometimes forget. I'm glad I'm not the only one who suffers from this affliction.
    Spreadsheet?! What about putting them in Discogs?
    Chad

^ Indeed. That's what I do. One of these days I'll have to add more titles to their database.

Quote Originally Posted by Nearfest2 View Post
    Spreadsheet?! What about putting them in Discogs?
    I started this years ago, before Discogs was a thing. I like it because I can sort and filter on a variety of aspects, band, country, year. I'm not sure if you can do that on Discogs. I also have a wishlist, and a list that tracks CDs I've ditched or sampled and discarded separately. I'm not sure if Discogs can do that either. It would also take me ages to put all that in Discogs, and the sheet is so easy to maintain and use that I just see little purpose.

Additionally, I'd just rather have the security of having my own system. I had all my shit in Netflix (DVD.com) and they're doing away with that, so I had to make a mad dash to save my ~2,700 movie ratings. If Discogs goes away, or changes their format in some way, I'd be stuck doing the same thing, which would suck. I just feel better with the devil I know.

Bill