Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Unreleased Tony Banks instrumental

Unreleased Tony Banks instrumental

This is called 'Sunrise'. Reminding a bit of 'From The Undertow'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_68icW_pIoI

The keyboard sounds he uses here would definitely situate it in And Then There Were Three/Curious Feeling territory.

The youtube commentariat (god bless them) have decided this is the piece which eventually became "From the Undertow".

wow!

thanks for linking to this. I love this period of Banks' writing career

I don't think this is a piece that became 'From The Undertow'. First of all, its a completely different piece of music, albeit the similar opening chord. Secondly the OP stated it was from the early 80s, which may or may not be true. But its definitely a complete piece on its own. I saw 'The Shout' back in the day, and this piece was not in that 'film'.

Yep this is a great period of his writing with his signature chord progressions. I wish he'd release this stuff, there's probably a lot more like it.

Yeah, it's a similar style to "From the Undertow", but it does seem like a completely different piece.

Nice find!

Cool! It's SO Tony Banks!

This is really cool. And yes, it definitely sounds like it could slot right into A Curious Feeling.

However, does it sound to anybody else like this is MIDI sequenced and quantized? Banks is a super keyboardist and all, but the rhythmic precision and tempo solidity is a little suspicious. When Tony plays, he definitely lets the tempo breathe. Listen to From the Undertow and you'll see what I mean. Somebody with finer distinction than I will have to determine whether that's a real period CP80 and synth.

I'm convinced this is a clever impostor.

Certain parts sound too simplistic to come from Banks. Yep, I think it's a fake by someone with too much time on their hands.

If it's a fake they did a really good job. It definitely sounds "Curious Feeling" era. Hmmm. It's really good regardless. I wonder what it's from. I can ask Nick Davis. He might know. Although, given that he did a remix special edition of Curious Feeling (which I have and it's great!) you'd think that if this existed it'd be on that so... hmmmm...

Dubbed from the Shout soundtrack, which I don't think came out officially?

Quote Originally Posted by Squids View Post
    If it's a fake they did a really good job. It definitely sounds "Curious Feeling" era. Hmmm. It's really good regardless. I wonder what it's from. I can ask Nick Davis. He might know. Although, given that he did a remix special edition of Curious Feeling (which I have and it's great!) you'd think that if this existed it'd be on that so... hmmmm...
    I was going to jokingly say it was you playing a great prank on us. If anyone could pull off a 1979 sounding Tony Banks song, it would be you Dave. It does have that CP-70 1979 sound.

I watched The Shout a long time ago and don't recognize this tune, but I'm not willing to watch it again just to see if it came from the movie.

I don't believe it is a fake. The bit just after the minute mark leading into the 'chorus' where the 2nd synth comes in, has the feeling I've only heard from Tony Banks. Be surprised that an imitator could pull it off. And if so, pull off a whole album of this and I'll be all over it!

Quote Originally Posted by perpetual strange View Post
    I don't believe it is a fake. The bit just after the minute mark leading into the 'chorus' where the 2nd synth comes in, has the feeling I've only heard from Tony Banks. Be surprised that an imitator could pull it off. And if so, pull off a whole album of this and I'll be all over it!
    I thought about that the first time I listened to it. On second listen, I decided against it. But yes, if by chance it is then it is the best Banks imitation I've ever heard by some margin.

This is a tough one! The CP70 does potentially sound sampled... shit it might even be one of my samples! Haha. It does sound like real Arp synths (but then again it could be a modeled Arp like Arturia). I'm going to try to find out! I've got a curious feeling about it. I'm on the fence. It's almost 50/50 believable either way. The gliding synth melody makes you think it's an outtake from Curious Feeling (or maybe this movie "The Shout" which I haven't seen). But, that could be someone being clever. It's not as well put together compositionally as the instrumentals from Curious Feeling though but then again that could be why it's an outtake. I'm going to ask. This is close enough not to look stupid for asking. Haha. (well... debatable but what the heck).

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    Cool! It's SO Tony Banks!
    A piece of music could ask for no better compliment.

Really nice track. I love this period from him.

I also think it sounds very "From the undertow"-like. Only a bit too fast, and as someone above has said, it doesn't "breathe" enough tempo-wise. It might as well be a good fake - can it be that this is the only demo of Tony that ever got leaked?

The lack of any tape hiss or other recording imperfections make me think this is a fake.

It's a fake for sure imo. Same reasons other have posted with the tempo but also synth sounds, the pedal work, the way the chords move are not quite right and it lacks Tony's melody. Sounds like midi was used to match the synth to the piano which wasn't possible at the time. I quickly checked other songs on the same channel and I'd say those are all fakes too. Interesting that they all appear to be instrumental too

Actually, I'm on crack, the synths are not using midi to match/were done separately so scratch that, but it's still way too "blocky" to be Tony. I like the piece though---instead of making fakes, this guy should do a proper album as himself!

BTW, Bill, I'm still enjoying the first Cirrus Bay album "Slipping of a Day"--so much great music on there, I haven't even got to the second album yet but I'm thinking of switching over soon. What can I say, I listen to music slowly.
    Last edited by Ken Baird; 08-12-2014 at 11:36 AM.

I'm leaning more toward fake actually. So I might not ask to avoid Nick laughing at me. As I said, if this really was a Curious Feeling-era track or demo you'd think it would have ended up on that special edition of Curious Feeling that got put out with the 5.1 It does sound too clean and the CP70 sounds like a sample, a good one maybe but not quite as slushy as the real thing. You can kind of hear the filter opening on the attack too precisely and the attack of it is also too consistent sounding. Fun little puzzling piece though! It has some nice moments. Synths sound good.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Baird View Post
    BTW, Bill, I'm still enjoying the first Cirrus Bay album "Slipping of a Day"--so much great music on there, I haven't even got to the second album yet but I'm thinking of switching over soon. What can I say, I listen to music slowly.
    Ken, thank you very much!! Since some of that album (first four tracks) were recorded cheaply, not in a proper studio, I do prefer the 2nd album. Thanks again!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Squids View Post
    I'm leaning more toward fake actually. So I might not ask to avoid Nick laughing at me. As I said, if this really was a Curious Feeling-era track or demo you'd think it would have ended up on that special edition of Curious Feeling that got put out with the 5.1 It does sound too clean and the CP70 sounds like a sample, a good one maybe but not quite as slushy as the real thing. You can kind of hear the filter opening on the attack too precisely and the attack of it is also too consistent sounding. Fun little puzzling piece though! It has some nice moments. Synths sound good.
    I wonder though if it is actually a fake (the source also has supposedly unreleased King Crimson material) that Tony might want to know that someone is promoting music in his name? If he were asked about it from that angle, then he could clarify for certain whether it is or isn't his music without embarrassment?

I'd buy the album of whoever recorded this (Tony or otherwise )
    What if the Hokey Cokey really IS what it's all about?

Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    I wonder though if it is actually a fake (the source also has supposedly unreleased King Crimson material) that Tony might want to know that someone is promoting music in his name? If he were asked about it from that angle, then he could clarify for certain whether it is or isn't his music without embarrassment?
    Yeah, it seems to me someone should call it to his attention even if it is fake.