Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Unreleased Tony Banks instrumental

Well... it's not me *lol* I think it's fake too. It for sure sounds sequenced. Even playing very carefully to a click it feels too quantized for me. It's a really good ARP emulation, whatever it is. Could be the Arturia ARP 2500V carefully multitracked. The CP70 sounds pretty good to me but I'd be less apt to catch that than Squids.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    Well... it's not me *lol* I think it's fake too. It for sure sounds sequenced. Even playing very carefully to a click it feels too quantized for me. It's a really good ARP emulation, whatever it is. Could be the Arturia ARP 2500V carefully multitracked. The CP70 sounds pretty good to me but I'd be less apt to catch that than Squids.
    I'd like to think I was super good at being able to tell the difference but when put to the test I'm just as stumped. One of the things that masks the original is when you run it through effects. For example (and I know you know this Turlsy), if you run an average organ sound or sample through a real Leslie or great Leslie simulation it can potentially sound pretty close to a real B3 (especially in a track). Well, if this piano sample was run through a real Boss CE-1 chorus pedal (what Tony used on his CP) or even a plug-in emulation then that helps it "animate" like Tony's would... all swirly like you hear on Curious and Duke especially. But, yes, kind of too precise to be a storm trooper... only imperial cruisers... wait a second... Did I just lose my train of thought? Did I slip into Star Wars mode again? Why does that keep happening??? Oh yeah, a little quantized sounding and in particular the attacks of the piano sound too consistent. The real CP does something more "creamy" and smeared with the way it compresses and the overlap of sustained notes and the resonating harp. If I had time I could actually demonstrate it because I do have a CP70 (and samples of course). But... I shouldn't even be getting that much into this thread! Just kind of a fun one. Haha.

As for asking Nick Davis, which is almost as good as asking Tony, it would be more for my/our curiosity than for their benefit as I doubt he'd care that there's a lone YouTube video pretending to be him. There's ALL SORTS OF STUFF on Youtube that none of these musicians would really want but it'd be like shadowboxing trying to take it all down or something. That's just a theory though. He might want to know. He might even like it! I'm guessing that he probably doesn't have time to be concerned one way or another about it. I don't talk to Tony directly too much but if I did I wouldn't take up the conversation real estate talking about this. Nick is a different story but even still... they only have SO much time to talk about this! It was different when Nick Davis was actually on the Genesis forum though. Then anyone could just ask him about stuff like this. He didn't answer everything but it was cool of him to be accessible there. A rare thing. Nick's a good guy. Anyway... the mystery continues. But, I too am leaning toward fake and yeah Turl's probably right about the Arturia Arp. Let's all bug the YouTube guy who posted it until he reveals the truth!

fake
    Sleeping at home is killing the hotel business!

chalkpie
    real fake

Has anybody listened to the other tracks on that youtube channel? They all seem to be fake to my ears (at least the King Crimson/ ProjeKct Four stuff). Or is it just me?

Quote Originally Posted by Nashorn View Post
    Has anybody listened to the other tracks on that youtube channel? They all seem to be fake to my ears (at least the King Crimson/ ProjeKct Four stuff). Or is it just me?
    Yes, I did quickly check out the other songs and found them to be phony to my ears as well. Also very telling was the fact there are no vocals on The Cure track or Garbage. Not many people could find a convincing double for those unique voices.

Gosh, there's some very knowledgeable keyboards players on this forum! I'm inclined to agree with the fake point of view. Still a nice bit of work though. Who is the masked keyboard player? We demand to know - so we can get more of his work!

Whoever it is, they not only got the keyboard sounds right, they got the feel right. You can almost smell the clinical depression coming off the music.

Quote Originally Posted by Splicer View Post
    Whoever it is, they not only got the keyboard sounds right, they got the feel right. You can almost smell the clinical depression coming off the music.
    I guess one man's clinical depression is another mans haunting atmospheric beauty

If this is fake, someone knows Tony Banks' playing up and down. I see no reason to believe it's fake.

Hmmm. That youtube account was shut down for copyright infringement. I was just about to ask Nick if it was real or not since I was emailing him to tell him about my new song anyway. Oh well... guess we'll never know. I WILL ask if there were any demos floating around of tunes that weren't released from Curious/Duke era though. I'm sure there were though. Well, I would imagine there were. If they sounded as good as that though they should be released... like on a compilation?

The King Crimson vids posted by the account were confirmed as fake, so I'd say that pretty much confirms this one as well.

I'm not weighing in on the fake/not fake debate, but I just want to point out that Tony Banks would never write a piece of music called "Sunrise". Maybe "Sunset"...
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

"Tony Banks (Genesis) E..." The YouTube account associated with this video has been terminated due to multiple third-party notifications of copyright infringement.

The above now appears whenever you try to look at that clip. So... if it's copyrighted, then it IS a legit Banks track... or maybe the banner refers to other content on that person's YouTube site and not specifically to the alleged fake Banks vids. Hmmmmm....

Quote Originally Posted by Squids View Post
    Hmmm. That youtube account was shut down for copyright infringement.
    There are way too many self-appointed narcs and rats on the Internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Splicer View Post
    There are way too many self-appointed narcs and rats on the Internet.
    Yeah, now we'll probably never hear this little gem again.

Quote Originally Posted by Koreabruce View Post
    "Tony Banks (Genesis) E..." The YouTube account associated with this video has been terminated due to multiple third-party notifications of copyright infringement.

The above now appears whenever you try to look at that clip. So... if it's copyrighted, then it IS a legit Banks track... or maybe the banner refers to other content on that person's YouTube site and not specifically to the alleged fake Banks vids. Hmmmmm....
    The Copyright infringement of that this track is that the name Banks was used, otherwise if they only have said "a track that Sound like Banks" it would have been legit.
    If you would protect the Copyrights for an artist you wouldn't want that someone would claim that their music is from your artist.

You would't be allowed to make a watch that doesen't look like any real Rolex model and lable it Rolex just because you didn't copy anything.

The Rolex case would be a trademark infringement, not a copyright problem. Copyright law only prevents people from using your creative works without your permission. It wouldn't stop someone from falsely claiming to be you.

That said, I don't think you can really infer anything from the posted notice. I'd say it's just generic language thrown up when someone (in this case, I'm betting it's the Crimson camp) complains and something has to be taken down. Since copyright infringement is the most usual reason for taking something down/banning an account, they probably just don't bother for accuracy in other cases.

That makes sense.

Tony once spoke to me of having more than enough bits for a "Private Parts & Pieces" (his words) compilation. I'm curious to hear the 15 minute version of The Border he recorded.

Hmmm. That youtube account was shut down for copyright infringement. I was just about to ask Nick if it was real or not since I was emailing him to tell him about my new song anyway. Oh well... guess we'll never know. I WILL ask if there were any demos floating around of tunes that weren't released from Curious/Duke era though. I'm sure there were though. Well, I would imagine there were. If they sounded as good as that though they should be released... like on a compilation?
    Sleeping at home is killing the hotel business!

For years now I think it would be a dream come true if Tony were to release something along the lines of "Private Parts & Pieces". He could do it in a limited private pressing - I bet he could sell a few hundred or even thousand copies (of course not millions like he used to with Genesis) and wouldn't incur a loss. The fans would be pleased! But somehow I doubt he will do it.

I finally heard back from Nick Davis on this. He didn't think there was anything but he did say there were "bits and bobs"... and mainly some extra classical stuff apparently. However, since he didn't laugh at me for asking I went ahead and sent him the mp3 of that possibly fake Tony Banks track from YouTube (you gotta be QUICK with the mp3 snipping! ). So, now maybe we'll get a definitive answer (even though it's possible that it could still be Tony's and Nick's just never heard it though... just unlikely since he mixes everything Tony does these days including the remix of Curious Feeling).

I also politely pointed him to some of the negative fan reaction to R-Kive. I ALMOST gave him a link to PE too but... do you really want anyone from that camp reading what you guys are saying? I remember a few vague nightmares with members of Yes coming in here shadowboxing with the negative anonymous. I wouldn't want to open that can of worms... even though I think he or anyone else would probably just lurk and skim if that (although you never know who really does read these posts).

Anyway, for what it's worth, this little mystery is leaning that much more toward "fake" I'm afraid. But, it's been interesting seeing your reactions and that many of you would buy it even if it was fake.

chalkpie

I also politely pointed him to some of the negative fan reaction to R-Kive. I ALMOST gave him a link to PE too but... do you really want anyone from that camp reading what you guys are saying? I remember a few vague nightmares with members of Yes coming in here shadowboxing with the negative anonymous. I wouldn't want to open that can of worms... even though I think he or anyone else would probably just lurk and skim if that (although you never know who really does read these posts).
    Aside from personal attacks, I think folks can say whatever they want about that new compilation. Does he really expect the prog fans to be blown away by another rehash of material that we could make ourselves in about 3 minutes? We're all adults here.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Aside from personal attacks, I think folks can say whatever they want about that new compilation. Does he really expect the prog fans to be blown away by another rehash of material that we could make ourselves in about 3 minutes? We're all adults here.
    Of course folks can say whatever they want about it and we all know they will. I just don't know if the musicians, engineers and producers that are the subject would necessarily want to read it. If they really did they can seek it out themselves on the net but, of course, if you point someone to something specifically then it's more likely that they will read it. I honestly don't know what they were thinking making R-Kive and I am not sure who decided what but, for what it's worth (not much), I did offer my opinion about it to Nick after the fact. I simply said that with nothing new on it I wondered who this is supposed to appeal to. I also pointed out the marketing hype let down factor. These two things seem to be the general consensus anyway which is good for all of them to know. I don't stay in regular contact with any of them apart from a few people like Hackett and Davis... and of course I'm careful not to share anything private that they might say. Also, I can't geek out on the Genesis-related discussions with them too much or they'll essentially say "Dude... " (even though neither of them ever say "Dude" haha). But, I do try to get a few things in there just out of personal interest.

I'd like to think Genesis have more class than to do that.

To say the least, I found this impending compilation baffling and pointless- doesn't feature all the hits so doesn't even work on that level ('Sledgehammer' for instance is absent) and has bizarre inclusions like 'Wake Up Call'. But so what, life goes on- not worth worrying about.