Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bubblemath is BACK!

Quote Originally Posted by mnprogger View Post
    Anakdota?..if that's the band you're referring to (and not Anekdoten, another band I like), I can follow that comparison a bit.
    Sorry, yes, Anakdota, from Israel. I misspelled it. Definitely not Anekdoten from the land of Mellotrons.

If they worked as quickly on the album as they did adding thousands of MySpace friends this would have come out five years ago! Still liked the burning house pic they had on their profile.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Still liked the burning house pic they had on their profile.
    That was only the greatest promo photo ever!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    ......accessible catchy melodies over tricky music. Bubblemath seem to have a bit more of an "avant" edge....
    The middle sections of their songs - some of them, anyway - build up to passages that can't be assigned to any one key, where both guitars, the bass, and the keyboards are playing parts that don't seem to have anything to do with one another, yet somehow fit together. That's not unusual in avant-prog. But the songs didn't start in a place like that, and they don't stay there.

I just finished reading this thread, and I'd just like to say that the people who found the lyrics on the first album to be prohibitively unsavory are very unlikely to find anything objectionable in the lyrics of this new album.

Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    where both guitars, the bass, and the keyboards are playing parts that don't seem to have anything to do with one another,
    this is how a friend of mine describes the band Brice Plays Drums, which he finds unfortunately as a criticism. However, he actually likes Bubblemath, but maybe he doesn't look at their music that same way.

Quote Originally Posted by mnprogger View Post
    this is how a friend of mine describes the band Brice Plays Drums, which he finds unfortunately as a criticism. However, he actually likes Bubblemath, but maybe he doesn't look at their music that same way.
    It's because they build up to that, and make it sound logical and right. This is not anything new - think of Gentle Giant, for example. Indeed, it's a common and accepted hallmark of prog. But Bubblemath do it better than most, more adventurously than most, and they do it within their own sound and musical vocabulary.

Dammit, should have waited a couple of days to place that last order, for some reason I thought this was not to be released so soon. Oh well, next order.

Reminiscent of Cheeto's Magazine and Thank You Scientist.

Quote Originally Posted by yodathedog View Post
    Reminiscent of.....Thank You Scientist.
    There is a bit of similarity, disguised by the different instrumentation and BMath having more a New Wave than metal sound.

There is a bit of similarity, disguised by the different instrumentation and BMath having more a New Wave than metal sound.
    I'm still lovin' it though.

I'm still lovin' it though.
    Because Band Two sounds a bit like Band One is no reason to discount the work of Band Two as derivative, or Band One as obsolete. Especially if Band One aren't well-known outside their home city (and maybe not even in it), and Band Two are quite a bit younger, right out of music school in the past few years, and probably unaware of Band One.

By the way, does the first Bubblemath album remind you of the first Mr. Bungle? I just re-listened to Such Fine Particles..., for probably the first time in at least ten years, and that hit me. There's the same young-guy energy level and profligate inventiveness, a similar kind of all-over-the-place kitchen-sink aesthetic, and a similar love of bad jokes and sick humor.

By the way, does the first Bubblemath album remind you of the first Mr. Bungle? I just re-listened to Such Fine Particles..., for probably the first time in at least ten years, and that hit me. There's the same young-guy energy level and profligate inventiveness, a similar kind of all-over-the-place kitchen-sink aesthetic, and a similar love of bad jokes and sick humor.
    Yes. Along with the American-style skewed post-Zappa rhythmic and harmonic world of Yezda Urfa, Echolyn, 5uu's, Self, Ron Jarzombek, etc.

Because Band Two sounds a bit like Band One is no reason to discount the work of Band Two as derivative, or Band One as obsolete. Especially if Band One aren't well-known outside their home city (and maybe not even in it), and Band Two are quite a bit younger, right out of music school in the past few years, and probably unaware of Band One.

I didn't say derivative. I said reminiscent, as in similar, stating for those who aren't familiar with the other bands, that if they like Bubblemath, they well might also like CM and TYS.

I didn't say derivative. I said reminiscent, as in similar, stating for those who aren't familiar with the other bands, that if they like Bubblemath, they well might also like CM and TYS.
    It was a misunderstanding. I read more into your post than you meant. Sorry.

Also, what I said may have been more just a general observation than a reaction to your comment.

It was a misunderstanding. I read more into your post than you meant. Sorry.

Also, what I said may have been more just a general observation than a reaction to your comment.
    K.

I'm gonna buy this spending moneys gotten through wage. I think they sound like Twisted Sister fused with Rudy Vallée.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kai Esbensen View Post
    I just finished reading this thread, and I'd just like to say that the people who found the lyrics on the first album to be prohibitively unsavory are very unlikely to find anything objectionable in the lyrics of this new album.
    Thanks for letting us know!

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    [...] I think they sound like Twisted Sister fused with Rudy Vallée.

I really liked the song they had posted on Soundcloud. Very twisty-turny, with ear-catching melodies throughout.

One thing nobody's mentioned yet: From the one song posted, the production on Edit Peptide is light-years ahead of that on Such Fine.... The music's just as dense and busy, but all the parts can be heard rather than blending into a sort of thick brown overcooked audio soup. Which, with that much going on, is no small achievement.

For some reason I thought Sensual Con was an old song that has been floating around for a while. Anyone know? Still love it, just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by eadric View Post
    For some reason I thought Sensual Con was an old song that has been floating around for a while. Anyone know? Still love it, just curious.
    We uploaded an early version of that song on YouTube in July 2014.

The version that's on Edit Peptide has been fully overhauled; completely remixed from the ground up, with fresh mastering.

As Baribrotzer has astutely (as usual!) and correctly (as usual!) noticed, you can definitively discern all the parts in this final version.

If you missed it, Routine Maintenance was played on Deep Cuts #146. It's...really, really good. Very excited for the new album.