Page 18 of 68 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast

Thread: Classical music

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    And I would have added Saint-Saens - Organ Symphony
    Great piece. Like I said, this list is far from being anything complete or covering the entirety of the classical era/genre. I occasionally add stuff, maybe I'll toss in this and Carnival of the Animals.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Good catch! Probably an error on my part...leaving out M8 was not, it's just too...much....for most people, yet alone young kids. Personally I love it though. M6 too.
    I just bought a used copy of the 8th by Boulez. The opening movement really blows my socks off. The Berlin Choir is very exhilarating to listen to on this excellent recording.

Quote Originally Posted by StarThrower View Post
    I just bought a used copy of the 8th by Boulez. The opening movement really blows my socks off. The Berlin Choir is very exhilarating to listen to on this excellent recording.
    Totally. Great recording, that version of M8 turned out to be one of the best Mahler DG recordings he made. The beginning of Part II is also out of the universe. Boulez is always so CLEAR, so the beautiful lines and textures by Mahler are laid pure and pristine by Boulez. He came a long way since wanting to burn down all of the opera houses, eh?
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

So where does Mahler reside in the world of Reid now? Mahler was a serious obsession for me for a while at one point of my life, and he's still up there - definitely top 5, maybe 3. In my heyday, I must have bought over 20 CD versions of Mahler 2, I was a man obsessed.

I'm a big fan at this point. You probably remember when I was struggling to get into the music and asked you for suggestions. The No. 10 Adagio was the piece that won me over. After that I picked up most of the Bernstein NYP discs.

Now that there are so many cheap box sets, I picked up the Bernstein DG set, Tennstedt EMI box, and I just got the Gielen set. I've been picking up used copies of Boulez for the past few years. I have 6,8,9, and I bought new copies of the lieder CDs.

I'm a big fan at this point. You probably remember when I was struggling to get into the music and asked you for suggestions. The No. 10 Adagio was the piece that won me over. After that I picked up most of the Bernstein NYP discs.

Now that there are so many cheap box sets, I picked up the Bernstein DG set, Tennstedt EMI box, and I just got the Gielen set. I've been picking up used copies of Boulez for the past few years. I have 6,8,9, and I bought new copies of the lieder CDs.
    All great to hear! Once Mahler "gets" you there is no turning back. So many incredible moments. Sometimes I'll throw on something like M4 mvt 3 or the last three movements to M5 just for fun....hearing these movements out of context can be a learning experience. Not bad for a guy who wrote for fun during the offseason from his day gig in the summer, eh?

The Gielen set is really really good too. Bernstein M5 DG popped my cherry many years back....summertime with headphones, I'll never forget that night, literally life changing.

PS, how tragic is it that he died before M10 was fully completed? Imagine if he wrote about 5 more symphonies where he would have gone. The M10 adagio is a precursor to the second Viennese School and Schoenberg acknowledges as such. Have you heard Schoenbergs chamber version of Das Lied von der Erde? It has piano. Its interesting.

I think those same thoughts when listening to the no. 10 Adagio. You can hear the modern harmonic elements in this piece and it seems as he was moving forward into the 20th century. And the melody is so powerful and moving. I haven't heard the Schoenberg version but I'd love to. Any particular recordings I should listen to?
    Last edited by StarThrower; 01-31-2019 at 10:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    PS, how tragic is it that he died before M10 was fully completed? Imagine if he wrote about 5 more symphonies where he would have gone. The M10 adagio is a precursor to the second Viennese School and Schoenberg acknowledges as such. Have you heard Schoenbergs chamber version of Das Lied von der Erde? It has piano. Its interesting.
    Mahler wrote every note of S10...the Adagio movement was the only one he orchestrated. The other movements were orchestrated by others after his death. Other works by other composers had to be completed by others, not just orchestrated. One example would be Rimsky-Korsakov, whose students completed some of his works.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Any preferred recordings of the completely orchestrated 10th? I have the Seattle Symphony/Dausgaard.

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    Mahler wrote every note of S10...the Adagio movement was the only one he orchestrated. The other movements were orchestrated by others after his death. Other works by other composers had to be completed by others, not just orchestrated. One example would be Rimsky-Korsakov, whose students completed some of his works.
    I listen to it for fun but I'm a purist I guess. Lenny, Bruno Walter, Boulez, and I think Bernard Haitink only perform the completed adagio. The rest is too difficult to discern if were really hearing Mahler or not. And I think that's ok to have that viewpoint. It's a shame regardless, because that opening movement is so damn amazing. What would M12 sound like, or M16?

Any preferred recordings of the completely orchestrated 10th? I have the Seattle Symphony/Dausgaard.
    The Gielen is pretty nice actually.

Whoops, you said complete. Anyway the Gielen adagio is good. For complete I dig both Chailly and Rattle Berliner.

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    I know Dvorak is well known in the world of classical music but to me his works should be more well known. Only a small amount of his works have gained notoriety. He's far more than his symphonies. His cello concerto is my favorite work for the cello and his requiem, operas chamber works are phenomenal.
    Agreed. Like this:

and

Everybody listen to the Immolation scene in Gotterdammerung....basically the last 20 minutes and it's an aria song by Brunhilde. One of my fav Wagner moments along with Die Walkure finale (magic fire music).

Which brings the question: There are probably dozens (hundreds?) of recordings of The Ring Cycle out there. Which are the top ones? I've seen some DVDs on Amazon I think from NY Met that I've almost pulled the trigger on.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Which brings the question: There are probably dozens (hundreds?) of recordings of The Ring Cycle out there. Which are the top ones? I've seen some DVDs on Amazon I think from NY Met that I've almost pulled the trigger on.
    Solti's on Decca is a great set. It was the first Ring recording of the modern stereo era, and it still sounds great. The black & white 17 CD box re-issue is the one to get.

The 2012 Met DVD is very good from what I've read. You can watch a preview on YT.
    Last edited by StarThrower; 02-09-2019 at 11:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    http://www.the-wagnerian.com/2014/03...e-winners.html

Impossible to answer, but Reid is correct - Solti's Ring is very highly regarded. My go-to (on stereo) is Levine's Met recording on DG from 87-88, but a criticism is that some of the tempos are on the expansive side, but that's why I like it.

Mo - This is the recording that got me into the Ring many years ago, it has a few (great) choices from Levine's late 80's Met Ring. Its worth the $2 or so used if you can find it at this point.

http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/...album_id=10566

I'm hooked on Parsifal lately. I'm listening to Herbert Kegel's 1975 recording re-issued on Brilliant Classics. I also have the Karajan set on DG.

I'm hooked on Parsifal lately. I'm listening to Herbert Kegel's 1975 recording re-issued on Brilliant Classics. I also have the Karajan set on DG.
    I spun the Karajan prelude last night....good grief that piece is beyond fucking incredible.

Some other Wagner trivia: he used atonality decades before Schoenberg made it a thing. Namely, The Entry of the Gods into Walhalla.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

There's a great series from the BBC entitled The Story Of Music which chronicles the development of music from ancient times to the present. It's up on YouTube.

Spectacular !