Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Original versions of more popular remakes

Ember
    "State of Independence" by Jon & Vangelis; later a hit for Donna Summer (produced by Quincy Jones), and even later also charted in a version sung by Chrissie Hynde, then even later than that charted again in a remix of the Summer version.

Three songs I prefer the originals over their covered counterparts:

Willie Dixon, via Howlin' Wolf, not Jeff Beck:

Again, not Cream:

And yet again, not the Rolling Stones:

"And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

"Sepheryn" Curtis Muldoon (1971)-"Ray of Light" Madonna (1998)
    "Gloria" Them (1965) - "Gloria" Shadows of Knight (1966)

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    The covers are kind of those bands just goofing around, really.
    Well, yeah, I know that. But, I always considered it unfortunate that the serious version is the forgotten one.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    I dunno if I'd called Jefferson Airplane's version of Triad "popular", but I prefer The Byrds original version (which wasn't released until the 80's).
    +1
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Any mention of this? Made popular via a trendy movie in a piano/vocal cover:

I also have a soft spot for the original version of this, better known for Annie Lennox’s (arguably superior) cover:

Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Suspended
    Not exactly an unknown band, but The Beatles originally wrote and sang "I Wanna be Your Man", which was an early hit for the Rolling Stones. The Beatles' version was not actually released until after the Stones' version.

Carole King/Gerry Goffin-Pleasant Valley Sunday.

"please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Quote Originally Posted by rdclark View Post
    "State of Independence" by Jon & Vangelis; later a hit for Donna Summer (produced by Quincy Jones), and even later also charted in a version sung by Chrissie Hynde, then even later than that charted again in a remix of the Summer version.
    Jon Anderson did his own solo/orchestral version as well in 2007 although I don't think it charted.

BUT some songs that are called covers aren't actually covers, in that some songs are written by a singer/songwriter for a specific artist. Classic examples of course being Hush, which Joe South wrote for Billy Joe Royal, who had a hit with it in 67, and All The Young Dudes that Bowie wrote for Mott the Hoople.

Heart and Soul by Huey Lewis was originally recorded by Exile and also by The BusBoys

Quote Originally Posted by philsunset View Post
    Heart and Soul by Huey Lewis was originally recorded by Exile
    The "Kiss You All Over" band? That is my fave Huey song...didn't know it was a cover. I'm listening to the Exile version now; pretty similar but I like the remake better.
    The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by walt View Post
    Gloria Jones-Tainted Love
    Wow, definitely didn't know that one!

Who did the original version of Gloria? Was it Them? I actually hate all versions of that song - each successive one seems to get worse.

I heard Nilsson doing Without You on Sirius XM yesterday, and didn't know he'd recorded that popular version. Just looked it up and see its originally by Badfinger! Not sure if I've ever heard their original. Wikipedia says 180 artists have recorded it! Wow, those dudes from Badfinger must be raking it in from that song.

Quote Originally Posted by walt View Post
    Gloria Jones-Tainted Love
    I'd never heard that before, but I like it way better than Soft Cell's version.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I heard Nilsson doing Without You on Sirius XM yesterday, and didn't know he'd recorded that popular version. Just looked it up and see its originally by Badfinger! Not sure if I've ever heard their original. Wikipedia says 180 artists have recorded it! Wow, those dudes from Badfinger must be raking it in from that song.
    Oh boy, far from it, in fact.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by davis View Post
    I'd never heard that before, but I like it way better than Soft Cell's version.
    I think Gloria Jones herself is on record as disagreeing with you - she actually said Soft Cell nailed it better than her.

25-30 years ago I much preferred to hear the remakes by Zep, Thorogood, etc. of old blues numbers. Now I'd rather hear the originals or at least covers done by old blues cats. I'm just disappointed when I hear Cream or Led Zep. it's good, but not as good.

Suspended
    No, actually. They both commited suicide.

The whole sad story is on the Wikipedia page. No fault of Nilsson's I shouldn't think; more a case of being financially screwed by their manager (heard that story before?).

Suspended
    Led Zeppelin ruined the Rolf Harris classic "Stairway To Heaven".

Who did the original version of Gloria? Was it Them? I actually hate all versions of that song - each successive one seems to get worse.
    Actually, Van Morrison wrote it before he joined Them, who had a hit with it in 64. He wrote it when he was with The Monarchs in Germany in 63. And started playing it in Belfast with The Gamblers, who soon changed their name to Them.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Oh boy, far from it, in fact.
    Why not? They don't get royalties? (The two who wrote it.)