Thread: Artist taking control of their careers..

Artist taking control of their careers..

Music is its own reward. Get used to it.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Quote Originally Posted by happytheman View Post
    What's to discuss?? Trudeau nails it pretty well...
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Exactly..

This is CLASSIC - "Because the internets destroyed everything -- recorded music, cable TV, newspapers, magazines, encyclopedias..."

What the salesman REALLY meant was that the internets destroyed the existing sales & distribution model for these things... the things themselves have never been healthier.

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tom unbound View Post
    LOL

Last edited by Rune Blackwings; 06-29-2014 at 04:30 PM. Reason: because one can never slam Lars Ulrich enough
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Damn straight.

Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    Spoken like someone who sounds like he is neither a musician nor someone who has any personal connection to either musicians or independent record labels. You might sing a different tune if you did. Of course, you would not get paid for it, and that would, of course, absolutely be reward enough as you tried to put food on the table and a roof over your family's head, wouldn't it?

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    Spoken like someone who sounds like he is neither a musician nor someone who has any personal connection to either musicians or independent record labels. You might sing a different tune if you did. Of course, you would not get paid for it, and that would, of course, absolutely be reward enough as you tried to put food on the table and a roof over your family's head, wouldn't it?
    maybe it's just me....i dunno....but i am thinking he was being...maybe...sarcastic or funny?
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    I would have a very difficult time explaining that to the mortgage company

Quote Originally Posted by klothos View Post
    I would have a very difficult time explaining that to the mortgage company
    you can live in somebody else's car if it comes down to that!!!

jk
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

One of the guys in Bongripper told me they do everything in-house. no middle man. They sell CDs for $5.

fwiiw:

If the artist has to take care of getting gigs, copyright, royalties, producing, marketing, press, distribution, paying a band, etc. it definetely leaves less time for creative things.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    If the artist has to take care of getting gigs, copyright, royalties, producing, marketing, press, distribution, paying a band, etc. it definetely leaves less time for creative things.
    Welcome to the real world.

Every other kind of artist does it, as well as every working stiff who works for a company. We don't have anyone to do our paperwork.

There's always been starving artists.

Quote Originally Posted by firth5th View Post

Very true...brother, can you spare a dime?
    "The Bill of Rights says nothing about the freedom of hearing. This, of course, takes a lot of the fun out of the freedom of speech." - Pat Paulsen

My Art- http://www.facebook.com/williamallenrenfro -My Life

And yet they persist. Go figure.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

They used to have those "starving artist" sales at airport Marriott (I think it was the airport Marriott) here in Cleveland like once every six months. You could buy paintings from all kinds of local artists (I assume they were local artists, I never went to one). I dunno if they still do those, it's been a long, long time since I've seen the TV adverts (this was back in the 80's and early 90's I remember it happening regularly).

I was gonna suggest that it would be cool if someone did that with music, but that's kind of what your average music festival is, isn't it?

[QUOTE=GuitarGeek;273916]They used to have those "starving artist" sales at airport Marriott (I think it was the airport Marriott) here in Cleveland like once every six months. You could buy paintings from all kinds of local artists (I assume they were local artists, I never went to one). I dunno if they still do those, it's been a long, long time since I've seen the TV adverts (this was back in the 80's and early 90's I remember it happening regularly). QUOTE]
    I built a fireplace for the people who ran the 'starving artist' shows in Fla. They bought bales of those cheap paintings on black velvet, framed them, and then hired the 'hippiest' looking dudes to sell them. Complete "frelling drell" as some say.
    If it actually was local artists featured, I would support that 100%. I like that idea.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    This is CLASSIC - "Because the internets destroyed everything -- recorded music, cable TV, newspapers, magazines, encyclopedias..."

What the salesman REALLY meant was that the internets destroyed the existing sales & distribution model for these things... the things themselves have never been healthier.
    However, there is no longer much income from those sources, and I believe the quality is suffering. You can add "movies" to it as well; downloading movies is coming of age as the bandwidth grows.
    Gnish-gnosh borble wiff, shlauuffin oople tirk.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post

good point (though healthier remaibns to be confirmed), but....

Quote Originally Posted by Mikhael View Post
    However, there is no longer much income from those sources, and I believe the quality is suffering. You can add "movies" to it as well; downloading movies is coming of age as the bandwidth grows.
    Yup.... just for how long is good creation going to last under this "internet rules" regime??

investors (be they creator/artist or producers/hollywood) need a financial return to propose new artistic project ...

see Trent Reznor, Ani DiFranco

Probably shouldn't post this but it reminds me of a joke I heard for first time during some RUSH documentary or article.

A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'd like to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Suspended
    If (a) making and recording music is so easy these days you can do it from your bedroom, and (b) making a living from it is hard because of the Internet, then maybe the right paradigm is: have a day job, and make music in your spare time as a hobby because you love doing it. Now THAT'S a paradigm shift for you.