Thread: Synthwave / Retronewwave ~ for fans of the 80s

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Synthwave / Retronewwave ~ for fans of the 80s

Hi,

I'm a long time prog rock fan that started out in the mid 90s until I started getting into videogame soundtracks which where synth-based. Being a child of the 80s, I've always loved the 80s sound of cheesy synths, times when I would play videogames, or moments when you feel inside like smiling ear to ear. After going through different genres of music during 2003-2012, I discovered a "new" genre called synthwave or retronewwave. I was delighted and spent a good year 2017 to current digging up the best as now there is a glut of producers.

I've been posting on Facebook #DeleteFacebook and now am in FB jail for a while, so I'll post some of my favorite tribute videos that features some of the best tracks in that genre. These are usually the music with 80s movies spliced and presented in a montage.

Hope you all enjoy..

Top Gun is a 1986 American romantic military action drama film directed by Tony Scott, and produced by Don Simpson and Jerry Bruckheimer, in association with Paramount Pictures. The screenplay was written by Jim Cash and Jack Epps, Jr., and was inspired by an article titled "Top Guns" published in California magazine three years earlier. The film stars Tom Cruise, Kelly McGillis, Val Kilmer, Anthony Edwards, and Tom Skerritt. Cruise plays Lieutenant Pete "Maverick" Mitchell, a young naval aviator aboard the aircraft carrier USS Enterprise. He and his Radar Intercept Officer (RIO) Nick "Goose" Bradshaw (Edwards) are given the chance to train at the Navy's Fighter Weapons School at the former Naval Air Station (NAS) Miramar in San Diego.

Top Gun was released on May 16, 1986. Upon its release, the film received generally mixed reviews from film critics but many particularly praised the action sequences, the effects, the aerial stunts, and the acting performances with Cruise and McGillis receiving the most praise. Four weeks after release, the number of theaters showing it increased by 45%. Despite its initial mixed critical reaction, the film was a huge commercial hit grossing $356 million against a production budget of only $15 million. The film maintained its popularity over the years and earned an IMAX 3D re-release in 2013. Additionally, the film won an Academy Award for Best Original Song for "Take My Breath Away" performed by Berlin.

1) Silent Gloves feat. Patrick Baker - So Real (Miami Nights 1984 Remix)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaDQOq_ZEjs

Top Gun was released on May 16, 1986. Upon its release, the film received generally mixed reviews from film critics but many particularly praised the action sequences, the effects, the aerial stunts, and the acting performances with Cruise and McGillis receiving the most praise. Four weeks after release, the number of theaters showing it increased by 45%. Despite its initial mixed critical reaction, the film was a huge commercial hit grossing $356 million against a production budget of only $15 million. The film maintained its popularity over the years and earned an IMAX 3D re-release in 2013. Additionally, the film won an Academy Award for Best Original Song for "Take My Breath Away" performed by Berlin.

In 2015, the United States Library of Congressselected the film for preservation in the National Film Registry, finding it "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant". A sequel, titled Top Gun: Maverick, is currently in development.

2) Silent Gloves feat. Patrick Baker - So Real (Miami Nights 1984 Remix)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaDQOq_ZEjs

Bonus egg:

Isabella Khair Hadid (born October 9, 1996) is an American model, signed to IMG Models in 2014. In December 2016, the Industry voted her "Model of the Year" for Model.com's Model of the Year 2016 Awards.

3) Bella Hadid: '80s Poster Girl | Teen Vogue
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pk5KEWoWEXo

References:

Last edited by tommy_n_chucky; 04-17-2018 at 06:28 AM.