Thread: Monsters Of Rock 1988 - L.A.

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Monsters Of Rock 1988 - L.A.

No none cares, I get that, but I was there and I just came across this four minutes of video when the crowd goes into a near riot.

I was right behind them and only made it up to the front when Dokken was playing. Seemed to take forever because it was extremely wild. I'm kinda short and don't have a lot of girth to fight my way through thousands of people, but I did get my hands on that barrier, momentarily.

They had to turn the power off for Metallica, that's why they are sitting on the drum riser. They pulled up the gates, as you can see, and that's the only reason I got down there as they could not keep us all out. I remember getting to the bottom of the arena and it looked like a herd of buffaloes, like in Dances With Wolves, all I could see was dust and shadows of people rushing the stage.

As a young fool, I went into that melee. I just had to be there.

Seeing it from a different perspective, after all these years, is so bizarre. I do remember the passing of the chairs up to the front, I don't remember the throwing of them. The passing happened right when the Scorps took the stage, I guess the people down there were tired of stepping on them. It had already started long before that, I see now.

By the time the Scorps came on I was long gone from that disaster happening on the floor. I just remember seeing that flood of broken chairs towards the front, as I looked from up above, where I was safe, along with the food fight that the wind currents turned into a shit storm of food flying around.

Never seen a show like that and will never forget it, even if my memory is a bit faulty. But I remember how big Metallica was becoming at the time, I remember how messed up this day was. The craziest show I've ever seen, and a doozy it was. Van Halen really killed it that night, opening with Summer Nights, very fitting.

ETA: OK, looks like I found the whole show. I'll throw embed it in but I have only seen the first few seconds, so see if it's the real deal. Looks like it.

Though it's just a memory, some memories last forever. Even if Neil hates Lakeside park that lyric stays with me. It's all I have, are memories.

Last edited by TheLoony; 04-17-2016 at 07:12 AM.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000