Page 1 of 36 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: YES - Heaven and Earth 2014

YES - Heaven and Earth 2014

Now that the "real" CD is released....let's try again

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

Keep it clean folks and be respectful of each other even if you don't like this CD. The last thread went to shit. Make one that is worthy of PE's proper motivations (to teach and enlighten others about music). NOT one that adds to our online music forum "cesspool" rep. MMM, K?
    Last edited by Sean; 07-24-2014 at 10:16 AM.

Me thinks now that it's in the commoner's hands, we don't need no stinking reviews by so-called professional reviewers. I know what I think, may post later in more detail-I like it, slower, simpler but happy, positive and a bit of a new direction. Folks have been waiting over forty years for another YES product like the early 70's, why on Earth would they have thought to get that on H & E?

CD arrived yesterday and I enjoyed spinning it on my system. No complaints from this guy!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I have the blue vinyl (Ordered from Amazon.de, and took two days to get to the UK!) which sounded fantastic last night when I listened to it.

It's never going to be my favourite YES album, but I do enjoy it. My CD is currently my commuting music.

For those who feel the H&E is too light, combine it with Fly From Here. Here's my playlist: Fly from Here (whole suite), Light of the Ages, Life on a Film Set, Believe Again, To Ascend, Hour of Need, In a World of Our Own, The Game, Solitaire, Step Beyond, Into the Storm, It Was All We Knew, Subway Walls. (I didn’t include “The Man You Always Wanted Me to Be”). It makes a great collection of modern non-JA Yes tracks. Another observation I had was that H&E sounds a bit like the Paris Sessions, while Fly From Here obviously has ties to Drama. It would've been interesting if the Roy Thomas Baker-produced H&E came out before the Trevor Horn-produced Fly from Here. Like history repeating itself.

Any help in locating a copy from a brick and mortar establishment in the NYC area?? I've been searching to no avail. Best Buys, Barnes & Nobles, KMart, Target etc. Nada, and their sales staff have no clue. The closest I found, and that sales professionals have also located is the new Jason Mraz album, "Yes".
    Thanks for input.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Serendipity View Post
    For those who feel the H&E is too light, combine it with Fly From Here. Here's my playlist: Fly from Here (whole suite), Light of the Ages, Life on a Film Set, Believe Again, To Ascend, Hour of Need, In a World of Our Own, The Game, Solitaire, Step Beyond, Into the Storm, It Was All We Knew, Subway Walls. (I didn’t include “The Man You Always Wanted Me to Be”). It makes a great collection of modern non-JA Yes tracks. Another observation I had was that H&E sounds a bit like the Paris Sessions, while Fly From Here obviously has ties to Drama. It would've been interesting if the Roy Thomas Baker-produced H&E came out before the Trevor Horn-produced Fly from Here. Like history repeating itself.
    Is there a good way to leave off Bumpy Ride, AKA TV Game Show Theme?

Quote Originally Posted by Obscured View Post
    Any help in locating a copy from a brick and mortar establishment in the NYC area?? I've been searching to no avail. Best Buys, Barnes & Nobles, KMart, Target etc. Nada, and their sales staff have no clue. The closest I found, and that sales professionals have also located is the new Jason Mraz album, "Yes".
    Thanks for input.
    Wow, that's weird. "What's a CD?"

Maybe try to speak to someone who does the ordering?

Maybe they put it in the Foreign/Italian section.

Thanks for input.
    I went to BestBuy.com the day it was released ( wasn't sure if I would be in town if I ordered it through Amazon). There were only two copies available only in several store within a thirty mile radius. I drove the eight miles or so after I bought/reserved it and actually saved a $1 if it had been put on the shelf. FYE may have it but those guys tend to be pricey. Good ruck! I had the same issue with FFH. I didn't go on-line to look, it was available at FYE and it took another two weeks before I found a local B.B. that had two copies.

Thanks for input.

I bought my copy at Vintage Vinyl on route 1 and Fords ave in New Jersey. I think its Woodbridge. They had plenty of copies. And a huge Prog section in general.

Thanks for input.
    None of the Barnes and Noble locations have it? I find that very surprising - especially the one near Union Square and the one on 54th and 3rd. You checked those locations specifically?

Not at all sure why you wouldn't just want to order it online, but if you absolutely must visit a store to get it, I have confirmed for you that Vintage Vinyl in Fords, NJ, (right near Woodbridge and Edison; right off the Turnpike Exit 11) has it in stock. It's one of the best remaining CD/LP stores in the NY/NJ/CT area, IMO. They actually have a dedicated "prog" section, though I can't say if that's where Heaven and Earth would be - Yes might be located under "Classic Rock."

So if you feel like driving to NJ, you can definitely get it there.

My vinyl copy is on the way but hasn't made it to the US. So I'll be at least a week behind you guys.

Bill
    She'll be standing on the bar soon
    With a fish head and a harpoon
    and a fake beard plastered on her brow.

I'm thinking of passing on it. I was kind of ambivalent as it is, but after being personally attacked by Geoff Downes I can't see putting a cent in his pocket.

Wealthy rock stars attacking ordinary fans. WTF.
    High Vibration Go On - R.I.P. Chris Squire

Only $9.99 from Amazon now.

Quote Originally Posted by ItalProgRules View Post
    Wealthy rock stars...
    How would this pertain to Geoff Downes?

Heaven and Earth 2014 (not 1972)

My previous comment on 'Believe' being a nice start to the album still stands. This (album) has a definite Yes vibe, uplifting and spiritual at times. (Thank you Jon ! Sounds a little like Glass Hammer, but that's not a bad thing !!) Steve and Geoff have all kinds of tasty tidbits all over this recording, I'm still finding gems here and there ! The songs are quite different to each other, it's great to see the guys stretching the style limits a bit. It's not the same-old-same-old-thing....unfortunate for those expecting such. Every new Yes album breaks new ground one way or another. And this one has so much more 'music' on it, so-what's wrong with the new revolution ?? The guys are in a world of their own, AND I LIKE IT !

Quote Originally Posted by ItalProgRules View Post
    I'm thinking of passing on it. I was kind of ambivalent as it is, but after being personally attacked by Geoff Downes I can't see putting a cent in his pocket.

Wealthy rock stars attacking ordinary fans. WTF.
    Yuppet!

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    How would this pertain to Geoff Downes?
    Well, he WAS in Asia (or maybe still be with Asia)...

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    Does Darren Lock post here at all?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lNPdkmkyXQU

I largely agree with his review, but mainly I found this vid to be thoroughly entertaining. I'm going to have to check out his reviews of some other titles.

Quote Originally Posted by cavgator View Post
    Well, he WAS in Asia (or maybe still be with Asia)...
    Yes, he's still in Asia.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Harbottle View Post
    I have the blue vinyl (Ordered from Amazon.de, and took two days to get to the UK!) which sounded fantastic last night when I listened to it.

It's never going to be my favourite YES album, but I do enjoy it. My CD is currently my commuting music.
    It is great car or gym music--sometimes as much as I love it --Gates demands too much listening attention lol---like the idea by Serendipity about a playlist of both albums---and I found the album at an upstate (not in the city for a lot of the summer) Barnes and Noble for 18.99 (!!!!) on Tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by 2steves View Post
    It is great car or gym music
    I can't imagine listening to this at the gym.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I can't imagine listening to this at the gym.
    Is IS great in the car however

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    None of the Barnes and Noble locations have it? I find that very surprising - especially the one near Union Square and the one on 54th and 3rd. You checked those locations specifically?
    Uhmmm....yep (yes? ahem.) Was in Union Square store, also the Best Buy a few blocks away. Did purchase some goodies at the farmers market set up in the park though. The Best Buy had a card placement for the cd but no items in the row. Listed on sale for $9.99. Checked online and Best Buy states there are copies in stores on Lex & 86, near Trump Plaza on 5th and in Queens Center; will hit those today. Didn't want to order online and wait for shipping because I just figured it would be available in a store for immediate satisfaction.
    Thanx for input e1.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973