Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Want more music like Crosby, Stills, Nash

Progstreaming-webmaster Sunhillow's Avatar

Want more music like Crosby, Stills, Nash

Lately I've been enjoying the solo-albums by David Crosby, Graham Nash and Stephen Stills quite a lot. Some of them are real masterpieces, others deserve a couple of spins, and then there are some that are best forgotten about. But it kept me wondering: these are all pretty famous, established works. Aren't within this pretty nameless subgenre more maybe a bit more 'forgotten' or overlooked masterpieces, or just good albums out there, that I'm unaware of.

And how is this genre called anyway. I used to call this 'country-rock', but that seems to be a term only used by the ignorant Dutch. Folk-rock doesn't seem to cover it by a long shot, as is americana.

So I'm looking for singer-songwriter-stuff with elements of country, yet not too much 'Nashville', with sprinkles of folk, blues and jazz thrown in for good measure

I quite like both Rodriguez-albums and I'm a big fan of Ray LaMontagne, and I also like pretty much all albums by Eels. I like Eagles first five albums, but I'm unfamilair with their solo-albums. I don't really like Bruce Cockburn or Jackson Browne, and I dislike Poco. I think America's debut-album is alright, but if dispise A Horse With No Name. Is this all making sense?

two quick mentions, gotta go:
    gordon lightfoot
    shannon mcnally

Don McLean

Progstreaming-webmaster Sunhillow's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Yaman Aksu View Post
    two quick mentions, gotta go:
    gordon lightfoot
    shannon mcnally
    Noted, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by klothos View Post
    Don McLean
    Seriously? Thought he was a bit like Neal Diamond. Thought I like '12 Songs' a bit.

Oh, for the record, I absolutely hate Johnny Cash.

Suspended
    I can't think of anyone else who sounds quite like CS&N. If you like that sort of tuneful pop with a slight country feel, you might enjoy Bob Lind, who for want of a better label was considered folk-rock, but only some of his songs have that folky sound.

I would also go for The Eagles' "Desperado". At this point the Eagles were a much more interesting band than what they later became.

All these artists are connected; Bob Lind was friends with Steven Stills, and Bernie Leadon worked on Lind's album "Since There Were Circles" before he was ever part of The Eagles.

America.

Can't believe they haven't been mentioned.

Marvin, Welch and Farrar.

This was a band made up of ex-members of The Shadows (and Australian musician John Farrar) but it sounds *nothing* like them as they were mainly known for instrumentals. It seems MWF were definitely an attempt at a CSN-style project as the title implies, the harmonies are quite gorgeous. Try songs like 'A Thousand Conversations', 'Faithful' and 'Wish You Were Here', see if you like them, for me this is some of the most unfairly underrated music of its era.

Poco
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by klothos View Post
    Don McLean
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunhillow View Post
    Seriously? Thought he was a bit like Neal Diamond.

by the way, you may like some select songs by Lyle Lovett as well

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    America.

Can't believe they haven't been mentioned.
    +1

Mid 70s period Barclay James Harvest.

Oh, for the record, I absolutely hate Johnny Cash.
    Ouch! Don't take your vitriol to town son.

back on topic - try out some early Wilco for size, oh hell, try all Wilco.

Cosby & Nash duo albums
    Jefferson Starship - Blows Against The Empire
    Jack Hardy - The Passing or Coin in the Realm or Collected Works among others
    Vince Bell
    Darrell Scott
    John Prine
    Brewer & Shipley
    Indigo Girls
    Buffalo Springfield
    there's some maybes

[QUOTE=Sunhillow;279109]

I like Eagles first five albums, but I'm unfamilair with their solo-albums. [QUOTE]

I am guessing I may not get many who agree with this, but I think some of Don Henley's solo efforts are excellent, especially "Building The Perfect Beast" and "The End Of The Innocence". "Can't Stand Still" is a good one too.

These guys should have been much bigger than they were IMO. Very very CSN influenced:

How about The Jayhawks:

I would also throw Jimmy Buffett in the mix. Most people only know his novelty hits, but if you dig deeper into some of his albums he has a lot of good stuff not all that different from CSN-ish material. These days "Southern Cross" is a constant in his live set and considering that Steven Still's voice is pretty much shot, Buffett's live version is better than CSN's these days. (I was actually at the show in the youtube clip below):

If you are one of the few people who haven't heard Fleetwood Mac's Rumours album, I would suggest it. I think it qualifies in that same vein.

Kinda of has a little bit of that sound, plus some proggy-like Santana.

Suspended
    [QUOTE=SteveSly;279303][QUOTE=Sunhillow;279109]

I like Eagles first five albums, but I'm unfamilair with their solo-albums.

I am guessing I may not get many who agree with this, but I think some of Don Henley's solo efforts are excellent, especially "Building The Perfect Beast" and "The End Of The Innocence". "Can't Stand Still" is a good one too.
    I agree - Henley has some excellent songs, but don't expect anything sounding much like The Eagles.

Another vote here for Indigo Girls.

[QUOTE=bob_32_116;279367][QUOTE=SteveSly;279303]

I like Eagles first five albums, but I'm unfamilair with their solo-albums.
    I agree - Henley has some excellent songs, but don't expect anything sounding much like The Eagles.

Another vote here for Indigo Girls.
    Yea Indigo Girls are excellent. I have seen them live quite a few times and have most of their albums. Great Stuff.

Believe it or not, the first Acqua Fragile album. There's even a total "Suite: Judy Blue Eyes" knockoff!
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

I reckon Dan Fogelberg would be a shout. He gets a few positive mentions in most of the books I've read about CSN. All his albums are worth a listen & everything between Netherlands (1977) & The Wild Places (1990) is pretty much essential. His song Tuscon Arizona (Gazette) from Windows and Walls, is simply extraordinary. My favourite piece of recored music by quite some distance.

Timothy B. Schmit's most recent solo album Expando is rather nice. A joyfully autobiographical set, full of great tunes & interesting lyrics.

Happy listening!

Jackson Browne
    Dawes

Gram Parsons
    Doug Sahm (and/or the Sir Douglas Quintet)
    The Flying Burrito Brothers (first and second album with Gram Parsons; though the first is about as close to country music as it gets)
    Hearts & Flowers (exquisite stuff!)
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.