Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: BLT (The sandwich, not the band)

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ears View Post
    I prefer CLT (cheese, lettuce and tomato), but my favourite is beetroot sandwich.
    And then there's the ever popular CUNT ... cut up, not toasted.

Quote Originally Posted by tom unbound View Post
    And then there's the ever popular CUNT ...
    Make that a double

( I used to live in North Tonawanda and whenever we were leaving town, we would yell " See you N. T. ! )

And before the thread dies, I'd like to post this...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beef_on_weck_sandwich

A savory sandwich that's slowly spreading across America. Lunchtime memories of last summer : MMMmmmm !

Looks pretty damn good, tom.

I love this thread.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Surprised Scott (or anyone else from Philly) hasn't mentioned the Philadelphia Cheese Steak. I've had many but I never really know if I'm eating a real Philly Cheese Steak, or if it's some bad immitation.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Surprised Scott (or anyone else from Philly) hasn't mentioned the Philadelphia Cheese Steak.
    I just assumed that its status in the sandwich world was a foregone conclusion.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Okay, being that I'm from Florida, never been to Philly (I drove through it and didn't stop ), so I don't know if I've ever had an authentic, Philly Cheese Steak. What are all the authentic ingredients in a Philly Cheese Steak?

Vic, all I can tell you is that you can use the same ingredients, but somehow, it's not the same.

For a true Philly cheesesteak, you need ribeye steak, sliced thin, and grilled on a griddle. You need the right roll, and either American, Provolone, or cheese whiz. Onions are an acceptable option.

Peppers, which anyone not from Philly seems to think are part of a "Philly cheesesteak," are usually not. I mean, most places offer them, but they're not "standard."

Honestly, I'm not an expert at preparing them. But I can tell an imposter from the "real thing."

But, I'll give you an example.

I live in the Philly suburbs. Every sandwich/pizza shop around here offers an "Italian Hoagie" - a sub/hero/whatever with Italian meats, oil & vinegar, etc. They're pretty standard. I've eaten them all my life. I had a meeting in the city, and the host asked us if we wanted to go to South Philly to get hoagies. Of course we all agreed. It was like eating a different sandwich. It was heaven on a roll. I have no idea what was different, but it was amazing.

What's worse, I could never find that little corner deli again!

I'd imagine any region's specialty foods are the same.

All this talk of mayo makes me wonder how many here have actually tasted "real" mayo - i.e. not from a jar - considering how easy it is to make I'm surprised it is not more widely offered in restaurants. First time I had it was in the South of France near the Spanish border - it was slathered on roasted asparagus - unbelievably delicious.

I've always wanted to try to make my own, but have never gotten around to it.

New Year's Resolution time.

Tuscan Pane ( I like Trader Joe's), Russian Black Krim tomatoes and Escarole. don't get me started on grilled cheese.

"He thought in other heads, and in his own others besides himself thought."

~Bertolt Brecht

Quote Originally Posted by solarpup View Post
    Tuscan Pane ( I like Trader Joe's), Russian Black Krim tomatoes and Escarole. don't get me started on grilled cheese.
    Yep - that is great bread and makes awesome grilled cheese sandwiches too. Just sprinkle a couple of buds of fresh thyme in there and you are golden.

Quote Originally Posted by jake View Post
    All this talk of mayo makes me wonder how many here have actually tasted "real" mayo - i.e. not from a jar - considering how easy it is to make I'm surprised it is not more widely offered in restaurants. First time I had it was in the South of France near the Spanish border - it was slathered on roasted asparagus - unbelievably delicious.
    I was a professional chef for twenty years, and I have made mayonnaise "from scratch" countless times. Yes, the taste is better than the jarred garbage...

...EXCEPT for this variety, which is vegan...and is absolutely delicious; no weird taste, as in regular eggy jarred mayo, and no odd texture. Not only does it kick the ass of non-vegan jarred mayo, it is---IMHO---far better than homemade mayonnaise re: taste, mouthfeel, and versatility

I used to work for FYH (who makes Vegenaise), but I'm still not allowed to give away the recipe.

Cargo of diamonds as you are: nothing more valuable, nothing more tough. - A. M. Beal

Now dat be sum gud shit to know, ENY . Thanks! Is it available readily or is a quest required?
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

I could eat Mayo straight outta the jar. Ya know, sometimes ya juss gotta keep it simple and stupid. Sometimes ya just want a couple slices of Wonder Bread, 2-3 slices of bologna, couple slices of cheddar, and just slather it all in Mayo. Delish, especially after a few hours of and .

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    I could eat Mayo straight outta the jar. .
    http://www.wimp.com/mayoprank/

meimjustalawnmower
    Quote Originally Posted by East New York View Post
    ...EXCEPT for this variety, which is vegan...and is absolutely delicious; no weird taste, as in regular eggy jarred mayo, and no odd texture. Not only does it kick the ass of non-vegan jarred mayo, it is---IMHO---far better than homemade mayonnaise re: taste, mouthfeel, and versatility
    It's all subjective. I might find Vegenaise to have a "weird taste" or an "odd texture".

I'm still waiting for an answer from dollface.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

I can't help you, progeezer. I've never tried it.

Oh...you weren't talking to me?

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I can't help you, progeezer. I've never tried it.

Oh...you weren't talking to me?
    Contact me only after your surgery please.

Quote Originally Posted by jake View Post
    My wife will make if we run out of the store bought. It just doesn't last as long.

I used to use "light" mayo for a bunch of years before I discovered the real thing has lower sodium. Plus it tastes SOOOO much better. I love mayo, one of life's simple joys. BLT's, please don't mess with them. You CAN'T lose any of the 3 main ingredients, otherwise its just not a BLT. You want to experiment with different types of bread, fine. Add cheese if you want, ok, no problem. But for me the same three ingredients on good bread? Why mess with perfection? Home grown Jersey tomatoes are best of course, but really, any tomato from a quality farmer's market will do -which I have close to home. Crisp lettuce of course -just love the crunch of it on any meat sandwich. And finally, REAL bacon from a pig. NO TURKEY BACON EVER! Can you tell I don't like that chewy substitute all that much? I love turkey, at least when its not pretending to be something else. Oh, and no pre-cooked bacon either. Crisp, just off the frying pan, though please drain some of the grease first, I do have my limits when it comes to unhealthy eating. Triple-decker sandwich of course, though I'd eat it any way you slice or stack it. I only eat BLT's a few times a year, and usually the summer months. But it's quite a treat.

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Now dat be sum gud shit to know, ENY . Thanks! Is it available readily or is a quest required?
    I'm still waiting for an answer from dollface.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I can't help you, progeezer. I've never tried it.Oh...you weren't talking to me?
    Contact me only after your surgery please.

Yes, sweetie...you may order it online or even ask your local grocer! It's extremely popular among the vegans and vegetarians. Here's a link:

http://store.followyourheart.com

Quote Originally Posted by meimjustalawnmower View Post
    It's all subjective. I might find Vegenaise to have a "weird taste" or an "odd texture".
    Only if you have intransigent tastebuds.
    Cargo of diamonds as you are: nothing more valuable, nothing more tough. - A. M. Beal

meimjustalawnmower
    Quote Originally Posted by East New York View Post
    Only if you have intransigent tastebuds.
    Ah. Good one, but I know what soy tastes like, and it tastes like nothing.
    I ate four different animals today, and my tastebuds were doing a little dance!

meimjustalawnmower
    Is it available readily or is a quest required?
    Try Whole Foods. I'm sure there's one near you. Right next to Starbucks.