Thread: Prog Box?

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)

Prog Box?

Saw this at Newbury Comics tonight for under 20 bucks.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Prog-Box-V.../dp/B00K03YWHY

Looked like a dubious proposition to me, given the (in)frequency which I play the Prog Collective (and Fusion Syndicate) albums.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    First name I think of when I think "Prog"... Shatner.

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    I don't have time to puzzle this one out...are these tracks from the two Prog Collective CDs (the second of which I passed on after reading some less-than-positive reviews), various other Cleopatra releases (including the Fusion Syndicate snoozer, recent Nektar releases, etc)? Is there anything new and worthwhile here? The price is certainly appealing...

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Looks relatively lame.
    Chad

Maybe dodgy overall, but there's an unreleased track with Chris Squire and other potential goodies. You can get it ion Amazon for under 15 so if Rick doesn't grab it I may.

It does look like mostly Prog Collective & Fusion Syndicate tracks, doesn't it? But you gotta admit Sherwood gets some great people together on some of these tracks!* At $15 this might be worth it.

* Even if they have likely never met!

Quote Originally Posted by Nearfest2 View Post
    Looks relatively lame.
    Buncha "off" or live tracks by bands (Chrome? Queenryche? William Shatner [seriously?]) and what's with all the collaboration tracks between unrelated artists?

Your better bet is "Supernatural Fairy Tales" which, while not including everything you'd want (due to licensing difficulties), at least hits the highlights with the real bands.
    Last edited by rcarlberg; 07-04-2014 at 12:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Buncha "off" or live tracks by bands (Chrome? Queenryche? William Shatner [seriously?]) and what's with all the collaboration tracks between unrelated artists?
    The latter are likely all from Sherwood's Prog Collective and Fusion Syndicate CDs. The first PC I think is pretty good, but Fusion Syndicate sucks despite some big names

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Your better bet is "Supernatural Fairy Tales" which, while not including everything you'd want (due to licensing difficulties), at least hits the highlights with the real bands.
    This box brings back memories! This was my first exposure to bands such as Ash Ra, Samla, Orme, and Atomic Rooster. I guess there is now Youtube for the curious but these discs hold up quite well.