Thread: FEATURED CD - Ani DiFranco : Up Up Up Up Up

FEATURED CD - Ani DiFranco : Up Up Up Up Up

Not prog, but it's off-beat and a bit intriguing, and perhaps worth a brief discussion here on PE.

Seems AllMusic wasn't too impressed:
    The self-appointed CEO of intrepid indie grrrl rock sparks one more with Up Up Up Up Up Up, an ebullient addition to an already prolific and deeply admirable career. The playful synthetics and occasional stabs at atypical Ani DiFranco stylings belie the general humorlessness of her lyrics: "'Tis of Thee" is as annoyed with American TV-news culture as one can get (as might be expected of street-cynical Ani). "Come Away" is just plain corny, wistfully scrapbooking a lover away with tinkly punches on an electric piano. "Virtue" is wackier, with shades of old songs by young Edie Brickell, and "Jukebox" sounds relentlessly synthesized, funky with baffling lyrics and weird abrupt high notes like the ones you either adore or abhor from contempo sister Alanis Morissette. Some fans may continue to dream of an album wherein Ani shows off some real chops, as she'll do for lucky people in concert: she's actually a wonderful 12-string guitarist, but you can't really get a feel for that here.
    http://www.allmusic.com/album/up-up-...p-mw0000601897

You need to hear the whole album to gather a full impression - but here are some samples:

Regards,

Duncan

Actually, this is the only album by Difranco that I own. The single edit of Angry Anymore is my favorite song of hers:

Can't say it is some epic work of complexity or sophistication but I rather like the groove of it
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Ani's been doing great work for years. Good to see her mentioned here.

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

Progstreaming-webmaster Sunhillow's Avatar
    It needs one more Up.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunhillow View Post
    It needs one more Up.
    No need to get uppity!

Regards,

Duncan

Progstreaming-webmaster Sunhillow's Avatar
    ^^ hihi.

A former girlfriend of mine was a big fan. I think the live album Living In A Clip is the best introduction. Great artist!