Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast

Thread: Selling on Discogs and Amazon vs eBay

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    I'm almost at the point where I want to start requesting FedEx or UPS. If I'm already paying far more than I should (IMO), I might as well get superior service. We'll see if sellers/vendors start to include that option.
    I had a few cases where the buyer wanted me to check the rates of FedEx and UPS vs USPS, and it was a large enough order for me to check it out. Turned out it was almost TRIPLE the cost, so we went with USPS, registered mail. This was right before Christmas(to Mexico)and he still hasn't received it. I went to the post office, and asked a clerk that I trust, and she told me, call customs and make an insurance claim, and your package will "Miraculously" be delivered. We'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by Pr33t
    It's funny that now that everything is at our fingertips on the internet, it's actually getting harder and more expensive to ship things. It should be the other way around as the world is more and more connected globally.
    Good point!
    I wonder if you're reaching the point where shipping via a single carrier like FedEx, UPS or DHL is now a close enough price to switch to? You do get superior speed and insurance protection from these guys as well.
    Like Jim said, UPS triples (if not quadruples) the cost. I don't remember the exact prices, but I used it once for a very rare and expensive LP at buyer's request (he was willing to pay a lot to ensure fast and safe delivery). That particular case notwithstanding, I can't see many people eager to pay $50+ for shipping one record. As for DHL, I think they are only working with companies here in Russia, not private individuals. According to rumors I heard, same goes for FedEx, though I'm not 100% sure here.

If you guys want a chuckle, check out a new seller(from the US)called topsoundsrecords on Discogs. His prices start at $100, and for example he has a reissue of David Crosby's "If I could only remember..." for $1500! I became aware of him when a copy of the Sunday LP(probably a $500 record in M- condition)showed up on my watch list for $3000! BTW, this person has yet to make a sale.

^ Yeah, I saw some of his items in my wantlist feed. There seems to be more sellers showing up who think that every rare record can fund their retirement.

Quote Originally Posted by Calabasas_Trafalgar View Post
    If you guys want a chuckle, check out a new seller(from the US)called topsoundsrecords on Discogs. His prices start at $100, and for example he has a reissue of David Crosby's "If I could only remember..." for $1500! I became aware of him when a copy of the Sunday LP(probably a $500 record in M- condition)showed up on my watch list for $3000! BTW, this person has yet to make a sale.
    I saw him too. Check out his info - his justification is great.

I have this banged-up Little River Band 2LP. The jacket looks pretty good, though. Only $50.

I'm going to post this here, just because of how amazing it is. He's like the damn "Hot Stampers" guy.

I think it's important for a seller to provide an overview of how they grade and price records, because ultimately, grading on discogs and other buying platforms is the wild wild west.

Let's get the honest truth out there. Most records sold are overgraded. It took me a while to gain sufficient perspective to feel comfortable writing on this topic for the benefit of others, but here it goes. In my experience, well over half of NM vinyl listed on this platform is only VG+, and maybe 15% of NM vinyl listed is only VG. Just as bad, i'd say at least half of VG+ vinyl listed is only VG. Basically, if strict goldmine standard is used, on average records are about a grade class overgraded for both vinyl and sleeve. What that means is, properly graded NM and VG+ vinyl, especially for older records, is significantly more rare than what listings on this and other selling platforms would suggest. There just aren't many copies in that condition that still exist in the world. While that sounds depressing, it doesn't have to be, because a properly graded VG vinyl is actually a very enjoyable copy, and there is nothing to be ashamed of in properly graded VG vinyls. In fact most of what i listen to is VG (strict goldmine graded), and i enjoy them nearly as much as a perfect copy. Of course, everyone has their own opinion on this, but when it comes to rare killer records, having a VERY GOOD copy is almost as sweet as a near perfect copy, and also extremely rare. So why, then, do NM vinyls sell for so much more if the listening pleasure is only modestly lower? Well, i guess because of how much more rare they are in general, and everyone is confused about what they're getting if they buy VG or VG+ copies online, so for buyers with enough capital, I guess there's a market for that. But what you'll find here, is i grade very strictly, strict goldmine graded let's say, which means that a VG copy is exactly that..a VERY GOOD copy. meaning, you're going to enjoy the heck out of listening to it. It's not perfect, but as i said it's modestly less enjoyable, which isn't much. As i mentioned, properly graded VG records (which others would call conservatively graded) are primary what i listen to, and i enjoy the heck out of them.

The other thing all of the above means, is my prices may seem high for VG copies i am selling, relative to other copies for sale. One reason is what i have been discussing above, which is that a lot of vinyl for sale is overgraded, frequently meaningfully so, and so the pricing difference isn't as stark as it might seem. But the other reason is, for grail-class killer rare records, a properly graded VERY GOOD copy is a true gem, which provides a very unique and enjoyable experience for a lifetime of listening, and is becoming more rare with each passing year. I encourage you to source other copies, more cheaply, if they are available and you feel confident in the grading. What i'm selling are kick-ass, rare albums, at a price that in my opinion is appropriate over time, and if the main purpose my store serves is to help you track down cheaper copies of kick-ass rare albums that you buy elsewhere, i have absolutely no problem with that. In other words, check what else is available before you buy from me, and check carefully, and i encourage you to buy elsewhere if you feel the value proposition is better. I am not playing games with my pricing, and i'm also not selling very rare but average records.

I only sell what i believe to be awesome stuff, and i'm pricing them based on a combination of their relative scarcity and degree of awesomeness. If you look at my listings on the desktop site rather than mobile, and look more closely at the absolute number of haves, wants, the have-to-want ratio, and the listener rating (adjusting for ratings sandbaggers), you'll see there's an internal logic to my pricing that is informed meaningfully by that information, along with a few other adjustments. i am ignoring past sale prices, because past sale prices have been an absolutely horrendous indicator of fair future pricing. What stands for great, rare music is of course entirely subjective, but what i'm certain of is the market currently has it wrong, as it almost always does. If you look at the history of rare record pricing over the last decade, it's laughable just how wrong the market has been. Ask yourself, what were most of these records selling for five to ten years ago? So was the market pricing right five to ten years ago? No, it was totally wrong! I'd argue the price of killer grail-class records has been and still is very low, rather than my prices being very high. I view the majority of albums i'm selling as national treasures, and part of our global cultural history, and there is a huge under-awareness of them by the majority of turntable owners and music lovers around the world.

Moving on to sleeve grading, let's just say that i'm extremely conservative about this, and also don't care nearly as much about this. Let me explain. What is the primary reason of buying a kick-ass, rare record? To listen to it of course! And how much does the sleeve have to do with that? Basically nothing! So i have my own thoughts on how much sleeve quality matters relative to vinyl quality. As long as a sleeve is in a relatively respectable condition, quite frankly it doesn't change how much i enjoy the record--in other words, it's nearly all about how it sounds. Because, it is to be played! Why buy a record you're afraid to touch or play? i just don't get it. Quite honestly, some of the records i enjoy least, relative to what i paid for them, are the ones with legitimately superb condition sleeves which basically just add stress to my life because they cost a lot more and add minimal additional enjoyment, in fact mostly just add stress because i'm terrified of damaging them.

If we're being honest with ourselves, most sleeves of rare vintage records, if a little beat up but still respectable, tend to have a certain charm to them. They have a history to them, and they tell a story. So in short, you'll find that i'm very conservative in sleeve grading, but also think a properly graded VG sleeve provides nearly the same enjoyment as a NM sleeve, because of the charm and the reduced stress. In other words, if i sell you a VG/VG record, i expect that you will enjoy the heck out of playing it, and the sleeve condition will be very reasonable. Keep in mind, it's just the sleeve, and it's almost entirely the condition of the record that matters, as long as the sleeve is legible and isn't growing legs and about to infect your household with some weird record guy fungus.

Ok, shipping. I'm going to comment on this the least, but i really mean what i'm about to say. Nothing causes me to lose respect for a seller more than lack of care in the shipping of rare records. I have seen everything that works, and doesn't work. I know what needs to be done. I only pack bullet proof. I will take back any record that gets damaged in shipping. But it probably won't, unless it gets run over by a truck, because i pack bullet proof.

And now, it's time to let the music play!

^^^Mike, you should post this on Cesar's page on FB.

Quote Originally Posted by Pr33t View Post
    I'm going to post this here, just because of how amazing it is. He's like the damn "Hot Stampers" guy.
    At least he came to the essence of "it's time to let the music play" after a 1,300 words essay...
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

It's really funny to hear him talk about "bullet-proof". Makes me think that he and his records are located in South Central or Bedford-Stuyvesant. If I were him, I wouldn't be planning my move to Beverly Hills or the Hamptons anytime soon. And forget about that fleet of Lamborghinis

I had a few cases where the buyer wanted me to check the rates of FedEx and UPS vs USPS, and it was a large enough order for me to check it out. Turned out it was almost TRIPLE the cost, so we went with USPS, registered mail. This was right before Christmas(to Mexico)and he still hasn't received it. I went to the post office, and asked a clerk that I trust, and she told me, call customs and make an insurance claim, and your package will "Miraculously" be delivered. We'll see.
    I called USPS to file a lost package claim on Tuesday, and it was delivered on Friday, so this trick apparently does work.

Just sold 90 LPs for $100. I hope the young fellow can make a few bucks reselling.

Witnessed a new personal record for shipping delays today. A customer on Discogs emailed me today to say he just received an order I sent him last April and refunded in June!

I sold a $3 Classical CD on Amazon; shipped 1st class with delivery confirmation. Customer contacts me to say he didn't receive it, even though DC shows delivery. So I ask him to check with his neighbors and/or he could also print out the tracking information and take to his local Post Office for them to look into it. This was his reply back to me:

"I believe that the deal is that you arrange delivery to me, not that I go around town hunting for my package. It was your choice to use the USPS, not mine. They are your delivery agent, not mine. Maybe you should take a copy of this message to the post office of your choice and find out what happened to the item you claim to have sent, because it sure has not been delivered to me."

Attitudes like that do not inspire me to be helpful. [And yes, on multiple occasions in the past a few simple inquiries by the receiver to family members and neighbors have turned up missing packages.]

Peter

If anyone needs to ship expensive CD's internationally, then please contact me. I get a special 'flat rate' discount on FedEx letters - UK, Japan, Canada, Western Europe are typically less than $30 and covers whatever fits in their standard or legal-sized envelopes. Won't work with LP's though...but I'm still happy to quote on those as well if needed. --Peter <prognerd@mindspring.com>

EDIT: This isn't USA outbound only - it's a little trickier, but I can create FedEx labels from other countries to the US. The labels I create would be in PDF format and include all customs paperwork - just print and attach to the FedEx envelope and give to a driver or drop in a FedEx dropbox.
    Last edited by Proglodite; 02-20-2016 at 09:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Levgan View Post
    Good point!

Like Jim said, UPS triples (if not quadruples) the cost. I don't remember the exact prices, but I used it once for a very rare and expensive LP at buyer's request (he was willing to pay a lot to ensure fast and safe delivery). That particular case notwithstanding, I can't see many people eager to pay $50+ for shipping one record. As for DHL, I think they are only working with companies here in Russia, not private individuals. According to rumors I heard, same goes for FedEx, though I'm not 100% sure here.
    Yes - shipments to Russia have to be from company to company...so if something can be shipped to where you work, it's not a problem (except cost, customs, etc). --Peter (who makes a living in the packaging/shipping industry)

Quote Originally Posted by Proglodite View Post
    I sold a $3 Classical CD on Amazon; shipped 1st class with delivery confirmation. Customer contacts me to say he didn't receive it, even though DC shows delivery. So I ask him to check with his neighbors and/or he could also print out the tracking information and take to his local Post Office for them to look into it. This was his reply back to me:

"I believe that the deal is that you arrange delivery to me, not that I go around town hunting for my package. It was your choice to use the USPS, not mine. They are your delivery agent, not mine. Maybe you should take a copy of this message to the post office of your choice and find out what happened to the item you claim to have sent, because it sure has not been delivered to me."

Attitudes like that do not inspire me to be helpful. [And yes, on multiple occasions in the past a few simple inquiries by the receiver to family members and neighbors have turned up missing packages.]

Peter
    What a dick. My reply would have been: "I did my part. The package was delivered and I have proof. Time for you to pick up the ball!"

I just noticed that when ebay notifies you of winning an auction, they now include your auction winning percentage. Mine is 63.5%. I didn't know they were keeping stats like that.

I got a big surprise on eBay today. All my LPs are "Buy it now or Best Offer" and I got an offer 25% more than my asking price, which I immediately accepted. Let's see where this goes.

I got a big surprise on eBay today. All my LPs are "Buy it now or Best Offer" and I got an offer 25% more than my asking price, which I immediately accepted. Let's see where this goes.
    That's great, but I can't exactly fathom why someone would offer more than the BIN price that's actually there. I bet that was a mistake. Were your items all without offer before?

Quote Originally Posted by Pr33t View Post
    That's great, but I can't exactly fathom why someone would offer more than the BIN price that's actually there. I bet that was a mistake. Were your items all without offer before?
    No. I get quite a few offers and I probably accept about half. In this case, I was asking $1200, he offered $1500 and I accepted. He paid the following day, and his record is on it's way
    I guess he wanted to make absolutely sure no-one else got it. Works for me!

^ I learned years ago that -- 'If you don't buy it now, you may never see it again'.

Quote Originally Posted by tom unbound View Post
    ^ I learned years ago that -- 'If you don't buy it now, you may never see it again'.
    very true.

I've also learned that Discogs buyers can be very picky about all sorts of things. I had a guy recently who wanted 2 $20 records, but he wanted me to find an international air service that would provide tracking at domestic rates AND to send him detailed pictures of the records. News flash buddy - you're not worth the effort!

Anyone know how to block a buyer on Discogs? I had this guy buy a $6 record and he gave me so much trouble before during and after that I never want to hear from this guy again. I know it can be done, I just don't like going thru 20 pages of FAQs just to eliminate this mosquito.

Anyone know how to block a buyer on Discogs? I had this guy buy a $6 record and he gave me so much trouble before during and after that I never want to hear from this guy again. I know it can be done, I just don't like going thru 20 pages of FAQs just to eliminate this mosquito.
    If you go into your seller profile you will see an area where you can block a buyer by entering their email address.