Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Bob Drake - Lawn Ornaments

Bob Drake - Lawn Ornaments

Howdy all,

Didn't see a thread on Bob's newest album so I thought I'd make a little something. The short version of my opinion is that the album is INCREDIBLY FANTASTIC. The long version is much longer and involves my initial reaction of "What the HELL was he THINKING???" followed by a second-listening opinion of "Wow, this is incredible intricate and detailed," finally eclipsed by an endless series of obsessive re-listenings that have revealed layer upon layer of exquisite, hilarious, fun, catchy, obtuse, bizarre, complex, detailed sound. Bob has really outdone himself this time!

The roots of the album were in Bob's idea of creating an "over-produced" album, and he has succeeded fantastically. Every tiny segment of every song has its own "space" and "flavor." There are billions of layers of everything and the kitchen sink, yet just about everything feels essential. To my ears, this album takes the sonic production experimentation of "Medallion Animal Carpet" and applies it to the catchy song-forms of "Bob's Drive-In." The album is extremely tight AND unspeakably over-the-top.

The things that initially turned me off as being too goofy have grown on me and are now my favorite moments: a scientist running at you from a distance to describe his in-depth analysis of hyena hot springs (backed by a massive chorus, singing, perfectly imitating his breathless narrative), an aurally-stunning "skit" featuring Bob and others in the studio remarking on the unexpected explosion of an incompetent trumpet player, more scientists popping up in multiple songs every time Bob mentions SCIENCE, a radioactive meerkat armed and dangerous with a Crookes' tube (stolen from a broken man with a broken machine whose functions he has never understood), bass tone-knob-flicking, etc etc etc etc -- just go buy it and listen to it!

You can listen to samples on Bob's soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/b-d-1/agents-of-decay

I got my copy from MVD (possibly early?? I jumped for first-class shipping even though I assumed it was just a pre-order, yet lo and behold I received my copy in the mail a mere two days later): http://mvdb2b.com/s/BobDrakeLawnOrnaments/RERCTA-018

HOLY SMOKES, I didn't even know it was available yet! I'm glad it FINALLY came out! (I finished it last August...) I haven't even seen a printed version yet, so hopefully everything is correct and they didn't accidentally use some other music!

I had a look at the distributor page you mentioned Dex, and noted that they indicated the "genre" as "Progressive Rock", which I didn't know it was, but that means I guess it does belong here, hahah!

>bass tone-knob-flicking

Ah, so someone does notice! I LOVE pickup switch flicking, that's a real rock sound to my ears.

Bob
    Last edited by B D; 06-05-2014 at 01:19 AM.

Yeah, I remembered that effect especially because I can't think of another instance where I'd heard that sound in a song before! I'm sure there are in surf rock or something, but I may not have been paying attention...

I'd say your music is "progressive rock." But only if you consider Harry Partch, The Residents, Captain Beefheart, Charles Ives, Frank Zappa, Brian Eno, Stravinsky, Shostakovich, Penderecki, Roger Miller, free jazz, bluegrass, Faust, Slapp Happy, Elvis Presley, Adam Cooley, Henry Cow, Art Bears, Thinking Plague, 5uu's, U Totem, Sun Ra, R. Stevie Moore, The Beach Boys, The Beatles, Tod Dockstader, and The Mnemonists to also be "progressive rock" like I do.

But then again I grew up in the 2000's (age 14 in 2004, learned about "progressive rock" then), and became so obsessed with it after discovering Pink Floyd and Yes that pretty much *everything* I liked was determined to be "progressive rock" in my malleable teenage mind.

Maybe my favourite so far in this wonderful canon.

Quote Originally Posted by Dex_Ford View Post
    Yeah, I remembered that effect especially because I can't think of another instance where I'd heard that sound in a song before! I'm sure there are in surf rock or something, but I may not have been paying attention...
    Listen to any live rock album from the 60's - 70's and you'll hear it. Not only when the guitarist is switching pickups for different parts of the song, but using it as a musical effect too by flicking it back and forth. For me it's part of that hot, exciting, rushing along right on the edge feeling of playing.

Howdy all,

You can listen to samples on Bob's soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/b-d-1/agents-of-decay
    Another song here too: https://soundcloud.com/b-d-1/to-the-sphinx

chalkpie
    Dude!

I've been checking Bob's site and ReR USA almost every day and haven't heard "peep-boom-crash-thoink..."

Where is this available?

chalkpie
    PS - I'd rather support Kermanator if I can - any word on when ReR USA will stock this?

I'd say your music is "progressive rock." But only if you consider Harry Partch, The Residents, Captain Beefheart, Charles Ives, Frank Zappa, Brian Eno, Stravinsky, Shostakovich, Penderecki, Roger Miller, free jazz, bluegrass, Faust, Slapp Happy, Elvis Presley, Adam Cooley, Henry Cow, Art Bears, Thinking Plague, 5uu's, U Totem, Sun Ra, R. Stevie Moore, The Beach Boys, The Beatles, Tod Dockstader, and The Mnemonists to also be "progressive rock" like I do.
    You have now singlehandedly brought the seemingly endless debacle on "JUST WUT'S PROG, HUH?" to a halt. Let's hope it stays there!

Looking forward to hearing this.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Dude!

I've been checking Bob's site and ReR USA almost every day and haven't heard "peep-boom-crash-thoink..."

Where is this available?

Frank - I didn't know it was out yet either! I only found out when I saw the thread started by Dex here. I still haven't even seen the physical incarnation yet. I don't know who is distributing it yet, besides the link posted above.

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by B D View Post
    Frank - I didn't know it was out yet either! I only found out when I saw the thread started by Dex here. I still haven't even seen the physical incarnation yet. I don't know who is distributing it yet, besides the link posted above.
    That's pretty funny that you don't even have a copy yet. ReR USA doesn't seem to be online and ReR mega doesn't even mention it either. If Steve or Kerman get it soon, I would rather go that route, otherwise I am getting pretty impatient to hear this thing. Anyhoo, congrats on the release man - can't WAIT to dig into this sucker.

we'll have it soon.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Kavus, your avatar is great. I'm such a huge fan of that show, it's pathetic.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    we'll have it soon.
    Cool, thanks Steve! Hopefully it won't clutter up the shelves until doomsday! If you can let me know when you have it I'll mention it on my blog so hopefully a few people will patronise your establishment for the obtainment of the CD in question.

Howdy all,

To my ears, this album takes the sonic production experimentation of "Medallion Animal Carpet" and applies it to the catchy song-forms of "Bob's Drive-In."
    I see what you mean, but I think it's important to say (for those who might have heard the two albums you mention) that the production on Medallion Animal Carpet was deliberately messy and chaotic, even lo-fi, whereas on Lawn Ornaments it's not at all messy, not lo-fi, and very organised. It does indeed take the "catchy song form" further as my songwriting experience continues along the road to somewhere!

I'm glad you're enjoying it!

chalkpie
    OK, finally got my greedy little anthropomorphic paws on this sucker! I'll probably give it about 5 spins or so before I say something stupid, which will inevitably happen anyway.

Thanks again man for the work involved for making this beast live and congrats

OK, finally got my greedy little anthropomorphic paws on this sucker!
    Lucky! I'm still waiting to get it myself! I know ReR did finally recieve a shipment yesterday, so it shouldn't be long now. Hope you enjoy it, I think it's a pretty good one if I may be so bold.

BD
    www.bdrak.com

chalkpie
    One quick word - the artwork is truly fantastic.......

One quick word - the artwork is truly fantastic.......
    It really is! Before I met Joe (the artist) I had a completely different idea about what I imagined for the artwork. I pictured it something like a turn-of-the-century catalog of strange wrought-iron lawn ornaments. When Joe first contacted me I mentioned the idea to him, but he completely ignored it and did whatever he wanted instead, and I am so glad he did! I can't even imagine it any other way now.

PS: Some copies have finally been shipped to me, AND it's now also at Wayside music.

BD
    www.bdrak.com

chalkpie
    Finally have spun this thing enough times to get at least a bit of a grasp (possibly), but probably not. Once again, Monsieur Drake has created another work that is more than worthy to sit alongside his other masterpieces. For my money, there is not a lot of 'prog' or really any non-classical music that contains this amount of musical detail, but of course there is always a MUSICAL vision behind these ideas, not a math-centric approach. Some tracks are downright beautiful - see "The Lonely Manor" - check out the melody and harmonic approach - but of course there is always an odd chord or "wrong" note to render it Drake-a-fied. "Why Why Why Not" is another great little track - I love how that particular track keeps breaking down into another style and more great harmonic changes on that one - all accomplished in about 1 minute. I could go on and on attempting to describe each track...and I might attempt a track "analysis" or two (something I like to do from a learning standpoint on my end), but just listen to the disc 'fer Christsake! I forgot to mention great, great vocals and I appreciate the moments where the Drake "Tabernacle chorus" shows up.

In terms of styles, it seems to take the "pop" aspect of Bob's Drive-In and infuse it with a smattering of some aesthetics found on The Skull Mailbox, Shunned, maybe even Little Black Train but also looking forward into new territory. Now that's prog! A note on the production and sonics: to my ears this has a different sonic presentation than what I am used to in the past from BD, and I'm hoping Bob can chime in and give some insight. This production doesn't have the immediacy of Shunned or 13 Songs for instance. I hear a lot of air around each instrument, and I get the impression of viewing the entire proceedings from a slight distance. Honestly this is more akin to a renaissance consort playing in a small church or something rather than a more close studio type of approach (If you are familiar with Dorian/sono luminus Recordings you know what I am trying to get at). Bob, I recall you saying that the reverb is completely natural - is this the same space that Bob's Drive-In was recorded in?

I will keep spending more time with this beast but I have enjoyed the hell out of it so far. Go get this sucker and support this guy - he is basically a national treasure at this point.

PS - if this pressed on vinyl, the artwork could be in contention for some of the best visual experiences out there. Move over Roger Dean and take your Zebra logo and Sycamore with you
    Last edited by chalkpie; 07-06-2014 at 10:56 AM.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Ordered
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

All that stuff he said. ^^
    I was lucky enough to hear a few of these songs in dribs and drabs just after they were recorded and also the whole album a couple of months before it came out but nonetheless I am still very much digesting this wonderful release.
    I keep saying it's my favourite and that's because I keep thinking it is. I may be a little more objective after the dust settles but right now it is settling nowhere.

Hi Frank,
    Thanks for listening and commenting!

This production doesn't have the immediacy of Shunned or 13 Songs for instance. I hear a lot of air around each instrument, and I get the impression of viewing the entire proceedings from a slight distance.
    It is deliberate and due to a couple of reasons: mainly to the fact that there is so much stuff going on most of the time. Remember this started life as "The Overproduced Album" and that's the approach I took from the start. I was quite happy to double or triple instruments (or in one instance overdub the guitar riff 100 times) and/or keep adding more and more instruments, knowing that individual instruments would be a bit (or completely) lost, and it would just be "music". The last track "Don't Worry" is a good example, on that piece I wanted to overdub so many organs, guitars, trumpets, violins, pianos, drums, percussion, voices etc etc etc that it would almost turn into white noise but still be music. Overall I also used a lot more room ambience, even more than I usually do, throughout the album. So even the more minimal moments have a lot of natural ambience. And, there are a few songs where I recorded many of the parts outdoors, and/or with the mic VERY far away from the source, like 10 meters away. (much of "Perpetual Lamps" and "Let's Go To The Marvellous Land" would be good examples.)

Lawn Ornaments was all recorded in my "personal" studio which I built a few years ago, there are some photos here, taken during the recording of one of the first Lawn Ornaments tunes:
    http://bdblog.bdrak.com/june-july-august/

is this the same space that Bob's Drive-In was recorded in?
    No, the solo part of Drive-In was recorded in my attic, which is a wide, long room with a low ceiling, particle board floor, very little natural reverb. I hadn't intended to record it there, but here is a brief excerpt of a blogpost I wrote about it a few years ago:
    " I had been practicing my drum parts (for the Drive-In songs) up there in the attic for a few weeks and it was sounding and feeling real good, because when you play a drum kit in the same room for a while you end up (hopefully!) with the drums tuned to sound good in that space, and I thought well what the hell, this sounds real good, it would be silly to move the drums to another room at this point, so I got started recording the new songs right there in the attic." I moved my amps, a few mic preamps and my very minimal recording gear up there and that's where did the whole thing, apart from one drum part on "Explorers of the Arctic" which I did in the garage. I wanted Drive-In to have a generally closer, dry sound and minimal production.

The live part of Drive-In was recorded in what we call the "living room", the same room I have recorded every group who have ever come here to record. It's a very big room, high ceiling (7 meters high, 7 wide, 11 long, stone walls, tile floor. )

Hope you're enjoying it!
    BD
    www.bdrak.com
    Last edited by B D; 07-06-2014 at 05:49 PM. Reason: I keep thinking of things I should have said!