Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: West Coast Pop Art Experimental Band

West Coast Pop Art Experimental Band

Great psych band from the 60s. Totally unknown in their time. They recorded for the Reprise label, which was also Hendrix's label. They were as obscure as Hendrix was successful. But the music, especially on "Volume 2 (Breaking Through)" and "Volume 3 (A Child's Guide To Good And Evil)" is great.

Any fans (and, anyone who actually heard of them or even bought their records back in the day)?

I was a fan in the 60s, and even was able to catch them live in NYC back then. I'd like to offer an opinion on how they were live, but since I was "experimenting" at just about every concert back then, I can only say, "wow man!".
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Holy mackerel!!! I don't think I know anyone who has ever seen them (they're almost mythical, that band). A professor of mine, from when I went to NIU in DeKalb and still a good friend all these years later, is a known published dude in many of the high falutin' journals (he edits two, Popular Music & Society and a new one called Rock Music Studies). He turned me onto WCPAEB about twenty years ago. He has the vinyl from the sixties, which he bought at that time. But, man, in all the interviews he's done of people I don't think he's ever come across someone who actually saw them (except, of course, for Kim Fowley... who was kinda nuts when my professor hung out with him; KF was involved with the band back in the day). I don't imagine you would remember anything about it (!!!) but do you at least remember *where* you saw them in NYC?

Since you were around back then, did you ever see Steppenwolf (my other fave 60s band; I've asked this before... are you the one who saw Steppenwolf with... I can't remember who [Iron Butterfly maybe] and thought they were only okay?).

WCPAEB played two gigs at the Electric Circus in Greenwich Village in 1967. I don't know if they ever played live elsewhere.

I'm not the Steppenwolf guy you're referring to, but I did see them at Fillmore East once. I always thought they were somewhat underrated, but they weren't one of my faves.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    WCPAEB played two gigs at the Electric Circus in Greenwich Village in 1967. I don't know if they ever played live elsewhere.

I'm not the Steppenwolf guy you're referring to, but I did see them at Fillmore East once. I always thought they were somewhat underrated, but they weren't one of my faves.
    WCPAEB did play in L.A. quite a bit apparently.

You probably won't remember (understandably) but just in case... three times Steppenwolf played the Fillmore East, it was 1968 (w/Electric Flag & Quicksilver), 1969 (w/Julie Driscoll/Brian Auger/Trinity & John Hammond), and 1971 (w/Ten Wheel Drive & Luther Allison). The '69 show would have been the best; on the second night, Nick St Nicholas appeared on stage in nothing but a sequined jock strap and bunny rabbit ears (because it was Easter weekend) and really pissed John Kay off.

I would have remembered that! I was at the '68 show, primarily there for QMS

I had two best buddies in high school; we'd all buy albums, get together and listen to what each other bought. One of them had the first two WCPAEB albums. But I can't remember a thing about them except "Lola ooola!"

I might be the guy who mentioned seeing Steppenwolf and being underwhelmed. I loved the first album and hearing them live was my first rock concert ever. I think the reason I was not so impressed was because the opener kicked so much ass. I'd never heard of them at the time, but they made a name for themselves after playing Woodstock about a year later. They were called Ten Years After.

BTW, I heard Quicksilver Messenger Service live too and vaguely remember liking them. There was a club in Chicago called "The Kinetic Playground" and because they didn't sell liquor, all ages were welcome. I heard some amazing triple bills there for about $7; one of them was Led Zeppelin, Jethro Tull and Vanilla Fudge. Another was B.B. King, Albert King and Santana. This was circa 1968 to '71.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucka001 View Post
    But the music, especially on "Volume 2 (Breaking Through)" and "Volume 3 (A Child's Guide To Good And Evil)" is great.
    Add "Part One" as well.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    BTW, I heard Quicksilver Messenger Service live too
    I caught them in '70, a tad past their prime.

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    I had two best buddies in high school; we'd all buy albums, get together and listen to what each other bought. One of them had the first two WCPAEB albums. But I can't remember a thing about them except "Lola ooola!"

I might be the guy who mentioned seeing Steppenwolf and being underwhelmed. I loved the first album and hearing them live was my first rock concert ever. I think the reason I was not so impressed was because the opener kicked so much ass. I'd never heard of them at the time, but they made a name for themselves after playing Woodstock about a year later. They were called Ten Years After.

BTW, I heard Quicksilver Messenger Service live too and vaguely remember liking them. There was a club in Chicago called "The Kinetic Playground" and because they didn't sell liquor, all ages were welcome. I heard some amazing triple bills there for about $7; one of them was Led Zeppelin, Jethro Tull and Vanilla Fudge. Another was B.B. King, Albert King and Santana. This was circa 1968 to '71.
    Oh yeah, Leiyla! Not one of my fave tunes of theirs (in fact, that album is just okay to me... it's the next two albums that knock my socks off) but wacky enough:

Yeah, I think it was your memory of Steppenwolf with TYA that I recalled. Where was that, by the way? I've lived in the Chicago area all my life (just moved to the burbs with my wife and kids). Wasn't the Kinetic Playground on Clark across the street from the cemetery? I think it was Rainbow Roller Rink or something at one time (I'm "only" 49 so I was obviously too young to see bands there in the 60s).

Also of interest is the 1970 curiosity that was promoted as a Bob Markley solo album under the title Markley, A Group. A record with emphasis on melodic songs, delicate arrangements and eccentric psych pop, that had the involvement of the whole band and can be considered as West Coast Pop Art Experimental Band's sixth album.

Three of their five members are not with us anymore. Ron Morgan was the first to go in 1989, Bob Markley in 2003 and Danny Harris in 2012.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    Also of interest is the 1970 curiosity that was promoted as a Bob Markley solo album under the title Markley, A Group. A record with emphasis on melodic songs, delicate arrangements and eccentric psych pop, that had the involvement of the whole band and can be considered as West Coast Pop Art Experimental Band's sixth album.

Three of their five members are not with us anymore. Ron Morgan was the first to go in 1989, Bob Markley in 2003 and Danny Harris in 2012.
    Interesting because when I just now checked up on this thread I had Sarah The Sad Spirit going through my head (no kid). I get miffed when I read about the former members of the band denigrating the talents of Màrkley. His off-the-wall take on stuff made the band. My fave tunes are stuff like A Child of a Few Hours is Burning to Death (covered by Jack White's band Dead Weather) and In The Arena... Both Màrkley tracks. I just wonder if they would have been really bland without him.

Wasn't the Kinetic Playground on Clark across the street from the cemetery? I think it was Rainbow Roller Rink or something at one time (I'm "only" 49 so I was obviously too young to see bands there in the 60s).
    You are correct, sir! When I drive past there now, I can hardly believe there was a concert venue with the day's big name acts in that neighborhood.

His off-the-wall take on stuff made the band.
    Yes, he was completely off-the-wall. I've heard rumors that he had spent some time in a mental asylum. Extremely talented individual when it came to songwriting...
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Solid act, I especially enjoy the one with the black cover - Volume Three, is it? The one with "Smell of Incense" and "Suppose They Give a War and No One Comes"?
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Solid act, I especially enjoy the one with the black cover - Volume Three, is it? The one with "Smell of Incense" and "Suppose They Give a War and No One Comes"?
    Absolutely phenomenal tracks, both of them. They're from Vol 2. Suppose They Give A War And No One Comes was a Markley concoction. Brilliant, and the kind of stuff that years later the other members slagged off. Idiots.

Smell of Incense is simply one of the great tracks of the 60s. Period. Even as unknown as it is.

I used to see their records in stores around LA when they came out but I never got to hear them on the radio or through friends. It's wasn't that they were unavailable or unknown, just not popular. Too bad.

"Suppose They Give a War and No One Comes" is great song indeed.

I remember being in a sort of 'hipster' cafe once and they were playing 'I Won't Hurt You'! So someone else out there knows this stuff.

I've heard of this band. They are in a book I own called "the psychedelic rock files" but I've heard of them before that. Same thing with the band H.P. Lovecraft.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    I've heard of this band. They are in a book I own called "the psychedelic rock files" but I've heard of them before that. Same thing with the band H.P. Lovecraft.
    H.P. Lovecraft's second album is an absolute acid rock masterpiece, sporting a realtime level of creativity fully on par with what the "progressive" bands would achieve during the ensuing decade. Highly recommended!
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Another thumbs way up for HP Lovecraft II. Played this one almost as much as the early Airplane. Just hearing Ken Nordine's voice on the one track makes me feel like I'm tripping! One of many attempts at High Flying Bird was among mostly original material. Even though their first LP has The White Ship it was this one that nailed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Blah_Blah_Woof_Woof View Post
    ... "The White Ship"...
    Textbook proto-Prog, and a great track.
    The "live" LP, recorded at the Fillmore West, is also essential.

I had bought the live lp on your recommendation but was not hooked. I keep going back to HP Lovecraft II....

Quote Originally Posted by Blah_Blah_Woof_Woof View Post
    I had bought the live lp on your recommendation but was not hooked. I keep going back to HP Lovecraft II....
    There's a lot love to HP Lovecraft and i hope some more.