Thread: Your Radio Station or show thread - Blow your own horn.

Your Radio Station or show thread - Blow your own horn.

In response to a somewhat recent thread on how bad commercial radio can be, this is your chance to tell the world what they are missing and what you or your station terrestrial or virtual are all about.

Revel in the coolness that radio can be. The calls from listeners when you're playing Sweet Smoke - Up in Smoke talking about seeing the band in a tiny bar and going on for 30 minutes about the scene back then and then calling back 20 minutes later to thank me again. People calling and asking OMG what are you playing? or "I've been driving around the block for 20 minutes so I wouldn't miss the announcement." Radio can be very personal despite it being broadcast from a small, not so sterile in our case, room with no windows and the lights turned down low. Witnessing bands bands playing live over the air as you sit back as an audience of one. Interviews, having bands hear their music over the air for the first time. It's all good.

Who else is there?

Me I've been doing this for just over 10 years now each thurs evening playing the "rehearsal intensive rock". *

CKCU Ottawa Ontario 93.1 FM www.ckcufm.com

With 2 new additions to the CKCU family, Sean Wed. at Midnight and a brand new weekly show directly before me on Thursdays the station is certainly looking more
    avant/prog-like every day. along with the usual fine quality programming the shows listed below might peak your interest. All shows listed have an On-demand streaming option that
    you can listen to them at your leisure. All times eastern.

Monday

Electroacoustic - Acoustic Frontiers - 12:30-14:00

Wednesday

Proggy-like - What's the Frequency Kevin? - 00:00-2:00
    Zappa/industrial - Pure Radio Kaos - 15:30-16:30
    Jazz - In A Mellow tone -21:00-23:00
    Avant jazz - Rabble Without A Cause - 23:00-24:00

Thurs

Not just prog - Electronic Meditation - 00:00-2:00 (bi-weekly)
    Avant Rock - Bizarre Bazaar - 19:00-20:30
    Not just Avant Rock - Infinite Ceiling 20:30-22:00

Friday

Rawk/jazz/stoner/acid - Friday Morning Cartunes - 9:30-13:00
    "ambitous experiments" - Crimes Against Music - 19:00-20:00

Saturday

not just Rawk/jazz/stoner/acid - Heavy Friends - 20:00-22:00

Sunday
    Rawk/jazz/stoner/acid/punk/prog - Night Watch - 23:00-02:00 (bi-weekly)
    Rawk/jazz/stoner/acid/drone/prog - Sunday Night Mind Melt - 23:00-02:00 (bi-weekly)

* stolen phrase

Hi Markinottawa,

Thanks for the opportunity for the shameless plug. I have my own radio show (as my signature suggests), but I'll take the opportunity to tell you a little more about it.

Specializing in rare cuts by classic and modern bands, Prog Rock Deep Cuts promises to match the obscure with the new and fresh. Intelligent, emotional, and visceral classic to modern progressive rock broadcasted live every Thursday from 7-10 pm EST on progrock.com.

While all forward-thinking music is fair game, the music featured on Prog Rock Deep Cuts is admittedly inclined towards the obscure, less traveled, and Strange Avenues of progressive music. A typical episode of Deep Cuts intends to fuse diverse elements such as jazz, electronic, world music, avant garde, psych, space, and classical with rock music in a fresh, and hopefully, exciting journey that presents the classics alongside their modern counterparts.

You can listen to archived shows (for a limited time), here: www.mixcloud.com/progrockdeepcuts

Like me on Facebook: www.facebook.com/progrockdeepcuts

You can join the mailing list by e-mailing me here:
    progrockdeepcuts@gmail.com

Stream live: http://www.streamlicensing.com/play/...stream_id=3143

Join me in Chat:
    http://www.progrock.com/chat.htm

Thanks!

PS - I just noticed that our shows are on at the same time and we play a lot of the same kinds of music! I hope I'm not stepping on your toes by posting this.
    Last edited by zombywoof; 05-27-2014 at 03:12 PM.

Not mine (but they're kind enough to feature my music from time to time) but KOSW (91.3 FM) in Ocean Shores, WA has a show on Friday nights from 6 pm to 8 pm called 'The Secret World of Progressive Rock'.

Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    Not mine (but they're kind enough to feature my music from time to time) but KOSW (91.3 FM) in Ocean Shores, WA has a show on Friday nights from 6 pm to 8 pm called 'The Secret World of Progressive Rock'.
    Can you listen to it online?

My show is called Journey Of The Sorcerer's Apprentice. More of a podcast, I guess, but it serves the same function. Webpage is www.spreaker.com/thesorcerersapprentice Most recent show at any given time is available by clicking the play button in the lower left hand button. If you click the "Tracks" link, you can get past shows that are also archived on the site. I generally do the show live at 10:00pm Eastern Sunday nights, barring other obligations.

What do I play? Anything I damn well please. Mostly progressive rock, hard rock, and electronic music, but I play just about anything and everything I like. My goal is for you to never know what the next thing is gonna be. Is it gonna be Tangerine Dream, Magma, Kiss, Joy Division, Elvis Presley or Tanya Tucker? No, I'm not joking. I've literally played all of those. I've also played Inger Lise Rypdal (Terje Rypdal's ex-wife), Funkadelic, Anthony Phillips, Rush...I've done entire shows devoted to Frank Zappa, the Grateful Dead (three of 'em, actually), King Crimson, and back in April, I did an entire month of Sun Ra. You're just as likely to hear Black Sabbath on my show as you are Dave Edmunds, Shadow Circus, Farpoint, Present, Richard Pinhas, Thompson Twins or some forgotten Eurovision castoff from the 70's. Sound like something you might like? Well, give a listen and let me know what you think.

Deep Cuts #37 is now available for streaming!

Hello everyone! On this week's Deep Cuts, I've got a wide variety of progressive rock picked for you!

First off, I've got some folky progressive rock in the form of Comus. Comus are the freak / acid answer to folk, and are one of the creepiest bands I've ever heard. Imagine flutes, dual acoustic guitars, and guttural, animal-like vocals.

Additionally, I'll also have some excellent symphonic prog with the Spanish group, Kotebel, who will be appearing at this year's ProgDay festival in Chapel Hill, North Carolina. To mix things up, I'll also be throwing in some music from classic Krautrockers Amon Duul II as well as some Van der Graaf Generator, Knifeworld, Mike Keneally, and so much more!

http://www.mixcloud.com/progrockdeep...-deep-cuts-37/

I'm putting a playlist together for a station I want to do at Live365. Is there another place (in North America) that I could stream a station for a comparable price? $348 a year if paid in full up front.

My show is called The Culture Café, and it isn't a progressive rock show, but I play international folk and ethnic music. This can include all of the new crossovers such as the Nuevo flamenco of Gypsy Kings and Tomatito, the crazy quilt of Scandanavian folk influenced rock like Hedningarna, Garmarna, Varttina and the Nigerian afro-funk of Seun Kuti and King Sunny Ade. There is Malaysian symphonic gamelan, and Middle Eastern and North African ethnic music like the desert blues of Tinariwen, Arabic and Iranian ambient like Niyaz/Azam Ali, or the pop jazz of Mali's Oumou Singare. It also includes all the European crossovers from Eastern Europe like Czech jazz-folk, Bulgarian wedding music and Gypsy jazz.

I would say I have more types of music to choose from than any show on our station. It becomes a matter of "curating" the show, since most people do not listen to the whole show, to play music that flows together, even though it doesn't sound anywhere near the same.

Listen in to www.wwuh.org Sunday mornings, 6-9AM EST, or listen online anytime at wwuh.streamrewind.com. Also available on your mobile device through TuneIn radio.
    Last edited by BrianG; 06-06-2014 at 03:35 PM. Reason: Additional information.
    The Culture Cafe, Sundays 6-9am on WWUH-FM
    Broadcasting from the University of Hartford, CT at 91.3FM, streaming at www.wwuh.streamrewind.com and at www.wwuh.org

Dark Side Radio – Good mix of old and new stuff for anyone who enjoys the songs they grew up with but still wants to keep up with the best of today's rock music. Rock and Prog Rock + Hard Rock, Alternative Rock, Blues Rock and also Classic Rock but not too commercial. Not much singles here but Rock songs that will eventually sound like a hit in your head. I like it dark, hard and sometimes heavy.
    http://www.live365.com/stations/237955

Tribute_to_Pink_Floyd_by_cuto.jpg
    “One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain.”

Dark Side Radio – Good mix of old and new stuff for anyone who enjoys the songs they grew up with but still wants to keep up with the best of today's rock music. Rock and Prog Rock + Hard Rock, Alternative Rock, Blues Rock and also Classic Rock but not too commercial. Not much singles here but Rock songs that will eventually sound like a hit in your head. I like it dark, hard and sometimes heavy.

www.live365.com/stations/237955

Tribute_to_Pink_Floyd_by_cuto.jpg
    “One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain.”

Deep Cuts #38 is now available for streaming!

If you've got ears, you've gotta listen ...

On this week's Deep Cuts, I've got some music from Renaissance and the classic "Scheherazade and Other Stories" album. Renaissance are considered to be one of the best symphonic progressive rock bands, combining English folk with romantic classical music.

I'll also have some music from Captain Beefheart, namely cuts from "Doc at the Radar Station". Released in August 1980, to many Doc at the Radar Station was a continuation of 1978's comeback album, Shiny Beast (Bat Chain Puller). An uncompromising slice of avant-garde experimental rock, "Doc at the Radar Station" is full of unconventional rhythms, angular guitar work, and of course, Beefheart's trademark poetry.

Additionally, I'll also be throwing in some music from Swedish masters Gösta Berlings Saga (a band best described as a fusion of organic and electronic elements), some rare live Jethro Tull, Led Bib, Hatfield and the North and so much more!

http://www.mixcloud.com/progrockdeep...-deep-cuts-38/

Quote Originally Posted by davis View Post
    I'm putting a playlist together for a station I want to do at Live365. Is there another place (in North America) that I could stream a station for a comparable price? $348 a year if paid in full up front.
    You want to be able to have your own station running 24/7, correct?

or

Are you talking about doing a weekly show?