Page 1 of 306 123451151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Movies - where we can talk about movies

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Movies - where we can talk about movies

We had a PM on the old PE but being no one has started a group, I'll just launch a thread and see how it goes. Try to review without major spoilers please.

Rented "Get Low" with Robert Duvall and Bill Murray plus "Drive" with Ryan Gosling. Both were extraordinary but quite different.

Get Low was a tale set in the 1930s of a cantankerous hermit in the hills of Tennessee who wants to hold his funeral before he dies. It's easy to forget how good of an actor Duvall is but this will remind you. Murray, as usual, is priceless as the down-on-his-luck funeral director.

Drive is a very different animal. Sort of an art house action flick that starts slow and meditative...and then the carnage begins. Gosling plays a mechanic/stunt driver who moonlights as a getaway driver for robberies. He meets a woman in his apartment building with a young son. Then the woman's husband comes home from prison. Gosling ends up driving the ex-con on a job where everything goes very wrong and then things really get nasty. Gosling is very good as a sociopath who was just reaching for humanity when the wheels fall off. Not for everyone, but I loved it.

Last night at the small town theater, we finally saw Ben Affleck's Argo. Damn, who knew this guy would turn out to be such a great director. I don't know how accurate this movie was but the tension was almost unbearable. And they get that '79/'80 atmosphere right.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I am bumping this one to see if it gets any traction. Or maybe someone wants to start a group? Hello?

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Anyone, anyone?
    Haha, love that movie. Classic of the 80's by John Hughes!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I am bumping this one to see if it gets any traction. Or maybe someone wants to start a group? Hello?

Saw Hugo Saturday, the Martin Scorcese film from 2011. Beautiful film, with a positive message.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rapidfirerob View Post
    Saw Hugo Saturday, the Martin Scorcese film from 2011. Beautiful film, with a positive message.
    I've been wanting to see that one. So, I got that saved in my Netflix account.

Most recently saw the excellent new Bond film, Skyfall.

Many are calling this the best Bond film ever, and Craig the best Bond. I wouldn't go that far, but this definitely is top 5 for me, and easily Craig's best. I like how they keep the story current, but still find a way to harken back to the Bond tradition.

Great action, a storyline that isn't too complicated, and some surprises. Highly recommended for any Bond fan.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post

Many are calling this the best Bond film ever, and Craig the best Bond. I wouldn't go that far, but this definitely is top 5 for me, and easily Craig's best. I like how they keep the story current, but still find a way to harken back to the Bond tradition.

Great action, a storyline that isn't too complicated, and some surprises. Highly recommended for any Bond fan.

That flick had great momentum, great acting and stunts.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post

couldn't agree more though i still have problems with Craig as Bond and the overall serious and dark nature of the films these days but Skyfall is a good one.
    one other thing is the direction the next film will take - lady M is dead, there's a new Moneypenny (even though there was a totally different actress playing the same character while lady M was still around (Brosnan films)) and a new Q that's about 19 yrs old. not to mention that Craig might be getting a bit old in the tooth. gonna be different.
    "She said you are the air I breathe
    The life I love, the dream I weave."

Unevensong - Camel

Skyfall was ok, it had some great sequences and I like Daniel Craig as Bond. What spoilt it for me was the miserable music score that honestly could have fitted any action film. It just didn't have that Bond feel to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Bark View Post
    Skyfall was ok, it had some great sequences and I like Daniel Craig as Bond. What spoilt it for me was the miserable music score that honestly could have fitted any action film. It just didn't have that Bond feel to it.
    I have started liking Brosnan more than I used to although I haven't seen all his Bond films. I don't think I've seen any of the Craig ones from start to finish.
    Connery was solidly good, Lazenby was decent, Moore was charming, Dalton was very very good, also an interesting actor with some specifics in his performances. In comparison Craig seems bland. I think his partnering with Ford in "Cowboys and Aliens" was perfect, really liked him there.

recently watched: 'American Meth'. Difficult to watch this doc, but definitely worth seeing. A lot of the reviews on the Netflix board are very critical of it, but most of the complaints are irrelevant. The message is very clear: don't even try the stuff.

'Frankenstein's Daughter' would be improved if it was shorter. As is, it moves toooo slooooow. the cheese factor is good (so don't bother if you don't like cheese)

'Seeking a Friend for the End of the World' was alright but IMO Keira Knightly dragged it down. cannot recommend it.

Quote Originally Posted by davis View Post
    'Seeking a Friend for the End of the World' was alright but IMO Keira Knightly dragged it down. cannot recommend it.
    I thought it was pretty bad. It was funny for about the first fifteen minutes, then it just got stupid.

I'm stoked for seeing "The Life of Pi." Read the book about 5 years ago, loved it and thought it would make a great movie. I hope I was right!

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Rented "Get Low" with Robert Duvall and Bill Murray...
    I'm funny in that I sometimes develop an overwhelming, probably unreasonable, dislike for certain actors, and can't stand to watch any movie they're in. Bill Murray is prominent on that list.
    Regards,

Duncan

Took the kids to see Rise of the Guardians this weekend. Fell asleep during the middle of it, just like i did with Wreck-it Ralph two weeks ago.

We really need a sequel to The Incredibles.

Screened the Zombieland Blu-ray for the youngest daughter (12) that same evening. She loved it. Aside from the opening sequence (i.e., stripper zombies ), it was no more objectionable or inappropriate than the garbage they show on the Nick channels).

Can't wait for The Hobbit...
    -=Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?=-

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by -=RTFR666=- View Post
    Took the kids to see Rise of the Guardians this weekend. Fell asleep during the middle of it, just like i did with Wreck-it Ralph two weeks ago.

We really need a sequel to The Incredibles.

Screened the Zombieland Blu-ray for the youngest daughter (12) that same evening. She loved it. Aside from the opening sequence (i.e., stripper zombies ), it was no more objectionable or inappropriate than the garbage they show on the Nick channels).

Can't wait for The Hobbit...
    I saw Wreck-It Ralph a few weeks ago with my brother. We both liked it. Sarah Silverman was very funny as the little girl. Me, my brother, and some of his friends saw Texas Chainsaw 3D tonight. It picks up where the original 1974 film leaves off. I enjoyed it, but the other people I was with didn't. It has a surprise twist at the end that you just won't believe. I am looking to the new Die Hard and G.I Joe movies coming out.

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    I am looking to the new Die Hard...coming out.
    Really? Isn't Willis too old for that franchise, now? He's no Stallone (but, Stallone isn't really Stallone any more without chemical assistance).

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Really? Isn't Willis too old for that franchise, now? He's no Stallone (but, Stallone isn't really Stallone any more without chemical assistance).
    Hey, I think that Bruce looked better in the last Die Hard(Live Free Or Die Hard) than in the first three. Has he given up smoking? Just asking, because the first three Die Hard movies had him making a comment that he was out of shape, and should quit smoking. He looked more buff in Live Free Or Die Hard, and not as "plain". What I mean that the first three Die Hard movies had him looking like those NY everyday Joe beat cops compared to his more slimmer frame in the last Die Hard movie. According to IMDB, Patrick Stewart has a rumored role as a Russian general. It would be cool to see him as a bad guy in that movie. I liked his villain role in Conspiracy Theory. I would like to see the new Die Hard movie first, and then make the judgement if Bruce still has what it takes.

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    Hey, I think that Bruce looked better in the last Die Hard(Live Free Or Die Hard) than in the first three. Has he given up smoking?
    He might have been on a health kick for a bit, I have no idea. But, did you see him Expendables 2? For that matter, did you see any of them in that film? Even Statham looked a bit under the weather. But, I guess they all were in top shape compared to Schwarzenegger.

The first one was kinda' fun, the second was about as tired as the actors looked.

I highly recommend the indie foreign flick "Monsieur Lazhar." It is funny, heart-rending and quite moving, with great child acting.

I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

I recently saw ‘Jagten’ of the Danish director Vinterberg. It’s about a teacher in a small village in Danemark who is falsely accused of sexual harassment of one of his pupils. The whole community turns against him and gradually makes his life into hell while he has no chance at all to defend himself.
    What is quite disturbing is that you can really understand the reaction of the villagers and it immediately makes you wonder: “how would I react in such a situation?”

One of the best movies I’ve seen in a while (although I haven’t seen the new Haneke Movie ‘Amour’ yet). Go see it when you have the chance.

I saw the Rolling Stones concert, bio film, Crossfire Hurricane. I somewhat became less a Stones fan in their later years, so I didn't know if I'd like this film, but did enjoy it well enough.

Inventing David Geffen--bio on the music producer and started the Asylum record label back in the day, discovering many musicians I enjoy: Jackson Browne, C,S, & N, Joni Mitchell, etc. I enjoyed it quite a bit.

The Dust Bowl--Ken Burns doc on the subject matter, I enjoyed it as I used to live in West Texas and we had a lot of that type weather so I could relate.

I saw Skyfall over the weekend. A serviceable Bond film, though Craig is thoroghly unremarkable as James Bond - he plays the character with all the wit and charisma of Vin Diesel. Very good action sequences. It's more like a Jason Bourne movie, but with British accents.

I am pissed. Raiders of the Lost Ark is only available on Blu-ray in the big Indiana Jones box that has all four of the movies. Like I want to actually buy the fourth film? They should be paying me to have that in my house!

I recently watched a post-apocalyptic flick called 'The Day' the other day. Interesting enough, but nothing you haven't seen before in much better movies like 'The Road.'
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Saw the Hobbit this past Saturday, and while that was really good, I was pleased to see all the previews of great movies coming out next year, most of them sci-fi. Oblivion, After Earth, new Star Trek, etc. I'm also looking forward to the next Hobbit, which I assume will come out NEXT holiay season, along with the second Hunger Games movie. I'm waiting for the DVD of the first Hunger Games to be released.

As a Johnny Depp devotee, I'm also looking forward to the Lone Ranger next summer. It's going to be a hoot.

Tomorrow, I'm going to watch The Knowing in preparation for Doomsday on Friday, LOL.
    "The mountains are calling and I must go" - John Muir

"To breathe the same air as the angels, you must go to Tahoe" - Mark Twain