Page 116 of 316 FirstFirst ... 1666106112113114115116117118119120126166216 ... LastLast
Results 2,876 to 2,900 of 7893

Thread: Movies - where we can talk about movies

Quote Originally Posted by Brad to the Bone View Post
    Yep, and the next Spider-man movie is apparently going to be another reboot too. Ridiculous. Change the cast and director all you want but that doesn't necessitate another pointless origin story. Hell, the character is so well known they never really needed one in the first place; the movies could have just started with him as an already established superhero in "mid-career".
    Spiderman I can get behind, but only the original, first reboot with that Tobey guy. I did collect Spiderman as a kid so maybe that explains my affinity toward him. Never did see the last one with the new guy, who I guess is now the second old guy?
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    As a child in the '60s I loved watching the "Man From UNCLE" TV series. I associate it with Robert Vaughn, David McCallum and Leo G. Carroll. I even had a "Man From UNCLE" toy rifle (No one worried about toy guns then). Each time I see the ad for the new "Man From UNCLE" movie, I can't figure out what it is for, and can't remember seeing the ad before, even though I did. Instantly forgettable. There is nothing in the movie ad that I can associate with the Man From UNCLE story, and no actors that I can even recognize. Why bother, if it baffles fans of the original show?
    I was a huge fan when I was a kid too; in fact I idolized McCallum's character; I would dress like him and wished I had blond hair and blue eyes. But I don't think us baby boomers are the intended demographic this movie is being marketed to; I just think Hollywood is taking few chances at really fresh and new ideas, instead, they're mining tv shows and movies from the more distant past, thinking that if those storylines were once successful, they could be again. I could be wrong, but that's my guess.

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    If a comic book movie is done well, it can be quite entertaining. Done poorly, there are few things worse.
    Agreed. I'm not a big advocate for these comic book superhero movies, nor against the idea; the bottom line is that a good movie is a good movie, regardless of genre. I thought the first Iron Man movie was great; it was reasonably intelligent, funny, had good characters and an interesting storyline. The two sequels, not so great. Ditto for the first Spiderman movie and it's sequels.

A really interesting superhero movie for me was "Watchmen." Being based on a graphic novel (which I guess is a comic book geared for adults), it was about characters that most weren't familiar with beforehand and though a superhero being a dark, flawed character was hardly a new concept, that film took that premise to a whole 'nother level! It was a fairly deep and complex film... and definitely not for the kiddies!

Regarding DC and Marvel, two very different sensibilities at work here.

DC vs Marvel.jpg
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by No Pride
    A really interesting superhero movie for me was "Watchmen." Being based on a graphic novel (which I guess is a comic book geared for adults), it was about characters that most weren't familiar with beforehand and though a superhero being a dark, flawed character was hardly a new concept, that film took that premise to a whole 'nother level! It was a fairly deep and complex film... and definitely not for the kiddies!
    I liked Watchmen. Knew nothing about it, going in. Excellent movie.

I was a huge fan when I was a kid too; in fact I idolized McCallum's character; I would dress like him and wished I had blond hair and blue eyes. But I don't think us baby boomers are the intended demographic this movie is being marketed to; I just think Hollywood is taking few chances at really fresh and new ideas, instead, they're mining tv shows and movies from the more distant past, thinking that if those storylines were once successful, they could be again. I could be wrong, but that's my guess.
    You're probably right. The average theater patron is much younger than me, and couldn't possibly remember the original "Man From UNCLE" show.

Movie trivia: Robert Vaughn had a part in the 1989 funny zombie movie C.H.U.D. II (people were laughing at zombies well before Shaun Of The Dead.)

We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Regarding DC and Marvel, two very different sensibilities at work here.

DC vs Marvel.jpg
    DC first introduced John Stewart, a black Green Lantern, in the '70s.

Batwoman was reinvented a few years back as a lesbian.

DC heroes dominated cinema from 1978-1997. Marvel had what? Howard the Duck?

DC-Warner has all of their properties and can do whatever they want with them. Due to Marvel's 1996 bankruptcy and subsequent sale of IPs to Sony and Fox (while Universal still holds the distribution rights for Hulk, which is why you won't see another solo film about him), they'll have to retool certain stories they adapt since their characters aren't all in one house.

Joss Whedon made the same movie twice and got away with it: Avengers and Avengers: Age of Ultron.

Christopher Nolan's The Dark Knight is still currently regarded as the single best CBM ever.

And so on.

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    I love that movie. He used Moore's & Gibbons' graphic novel as the film's storyboards, and the result is a faithful adaptation. The cast was awesome, particularly Jeffrey Dean Morgan's Comedian. What a bastard. The film's color palette is uniquely ethereal, and should be regarded by anyone who thinks Zack always soaks his films with grey filters.

I fucking loath the Marvel Universe. It even made me hate Joss Whedon, and I say this as a Buffy lover. Avengers was stupid, and Avengers AOU even worse. They are tying in their tie-ins already.
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Watchmen is probably a top 10 all time movie for me, the only comicbook film to make that list. I love its accurate reproduction of the graphic novels look and feel.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I'll have to check out Watchman.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Just be sure to search for Watchmen.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Just be sure to search for Watchmen.
    There is more than one?

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Better go set one.

Watched Home last night. An enjoyable animated flick you can watch with your kids, about cute, bumbling aliens visiting Earth. One of them befriends a human girl. Features voices of Jim Parsons (Big Bang Theory) and Steve Martin, plus those of a couple of pop singers you may be familiar with.

Afterwards, I re-watched the vampire movie Let Me In, because who wants to go to bed with pleasant thoughts?

Other viewings this past week included Ex Machina, already lauded above, and The Forger, about an art forger who must steal a Monet to settle a debt to a criminal. John Travolta quite decently plays the forger, and Christopher Plummer is excellent as his father. Good story.
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Though I doubt anyone is surprised by this (the signs were there), the new Fantastic Four movie is a total dud...

Well its no secret that the film was only made so that Fox could hold onto the rights for another 7 years. (Not a new concept...they did it in 1994 and that film never even got released).

I saw it a few days ago, and it is pretty terrible. The first two thirds are a lengthy introduction to the characters, and the build up to how the team get their powers. But you never really get the sense that they gel as a team, and the characters are very poorly written. It's not necessarily the actors fault, they are given very little to work with.

It's also dark and fairly humourless. The tone is very uneven...its clear huge chunks have been cut out and the remainder has been badly stitched together. It becomes obvious there is something missing when there is a 'A year later' caption on screen...so what happened during that year?

But the biggest problem is that you don't really get to see the characters use their powers effectively. You see a montage of the Thing on various missions on video screens, and the only time all four use their powers together are during the fight with Doom in the other dimension (which reminded me of the phantom zone in Supergirl...not a compliment), and a very poor sequence this is.

And the fact that this sequence is the main climax of the movie is woeful. The whole movie lacks a sense of spectacle, and apart from the main cast you never see anyone else in jeopardy, even during the sequence where a huge hole is being torn out of the earth through a black hole...therefore there is never any real sense of threat, and therefore zero excitement.

Abysmal/
    Last edited by Rogue Mail; 08-08-2015 at 03:52 PM.
    I only clicked on it because I thought it was going to be something more interesting...

spellbound- see the original, "Let the Right One In." As good as "Let Me In" is, LTROI is 50x better, no joke! Do NOT mess with Eli!
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

Quote Originally Posted by Dana5140 View Post
    spellbound- see the original, "Let the Right One In." As good as "Let Me In" is, LTROI is 50x better, no joke! Do NOT mess with Eli!
    Absolutely, what Dana said, while the American remake is a good effort, but by all means see the original. Eli's rescue of Oskar had me leaping out of my easy chair and yelling FUCK YEAH at the TV.

Took my daughter to see Mad Max today. Just and enjoyable the 2nd time around, and now Gill is wanting to see the first 3 Maxes. She couldn't believe George Miller was the same guy who directed Happy Feet...
    -=Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?=-

I read the book first, then saw Let The Right One In, then saw Let Me In. Go back a couple pages and you will see where I already stated this. Thanks for the recommendation, though. I agree, the Swedish movie is better. I re-watched Let Me In only because I could do it for free. I hope to catch the new Mad Max before it leaves the local budget theater. Got to be best on the big screen.

Watching Chinatown (1974) again.

Neo noir at its best!
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Great movie
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Mail View Post
    Though I doubt anyone is surprised by this (the signs were there), the new Fantastic Four movie is a total dud...
    http://www.motherjones.com/contribut...nate-your-kids

Out Of The Past

Noir about a detective sucked into the world of a mobster and then sucked in by his flighty woman. Many twists and points that keep you guessing.

9 out of 10 wise deaf kids
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Godfather II

Watched this countless time but still very satisfying.

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    Watching Chinatown (1974) again.

Neo noir at its best!
    One of my favorites, Faye is hot!
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    Out Of The Past

Noir about a detective sucked into the world of a mobster and then sucked in by his flighty woman. Many twists and points that keep you guessing.

9 out of 10 wise deaf kids

One of the best noirs IMO. Its got it all, femme fatal, the protagonist makes one morally questionable mistake, the effects of which inescapably spiral into his undoing. Top notch cast . Standout ,early Kirk Douglas ,wonderfully slimy .

A Few Best Men - Australian comedy about a wedding. Olivia Newton-John is hilarious as the mother of the bride, but the whole movie is very funny.