Page 108 of 316 FirstFirst ... 85898104105106107108109110111112118158208 ... LastLast
Results 2,676 to 2,700 of 7893

Thread: Movies - where we can talk about movies

The Great Escape is one of my alltime favorites. Surrounded by the acting heavyweights of the era, Steve McQueen shines in his not to large part. His star charisma shows in every scene he's part of. Easy to see how he achieved the status he did. (McQueen was the first actor to break the million dollar payday with Papillion ). My favorite scene in the movie is Mcqueens failed motorcycle jump at the Swiss border, and his reaction to being caught. He was unique.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Watched Altered States last night - hadn't seen it since the 80s. Still a pretty cool movie, definitely a cool idea.
    Yep...love it...bit of a mind blower that one...and yet another 80's movie that uses a lot of practical and optical effects, married with some truly startling imagery.
    I only clicked on it because I thought it was going to be something more interesting...

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    Yeah, I like that one , although the Miami Vice look alongside the strident Wang Chung score really dates it badly.

Not in the same league as his 70s run imo.
    I actually think it holds up pretty well...though I get what you say about a lot of 80's scores, I don't think that one has dated too badly.

This is my fave piece of music...

Which has always reminded me of this one from another gem...Heat...Brian Eno's Force Marker...

I only clicked on it because I thought it was going to be something more interesting...

Quote Originally Posted by NeonKnight View Post
    The Great Escape (1963)

For the 99th time. Up now on Netflix, so why not? McQueen, Bronson, Garner, Coburn and my favorite character actor of all time Donald Pleasance, with David McCallum to boot. I only recently realized that Richard Attenborough, (Bartlett) later went on to dream up, found and run his own dinosaur amusement park, with some tragic results.

The Hendley/Garner-Blythe/Pleasance unlikely partnership remains one of my favorite parts.

I am also always reminded how much I enjoy the soundtrack, always brings me back to that distant point in time when I first saw this fantastic movie.

10 out of 10 cameras with a focal plane shutter.

Yep...an absolute classic...a kind of holiday viewing TV staple here in the UK, normally gets shown at least twice a year.

One of those movies you can settle back and relax with when it comes on, no matter how many times you have seen it.

Beyond The Reach blu ray - cracking little drama/thriller, a kind of updating of the classic Most Dangerous Game plot, as in man hunting man. Michael Douglas stars as a rich businessman who 'buys' himself an experienced young tracker (Jeremy Irvine) and an illegal big game hunt in the Mojave desert. But Douglas' intentions are somewhat more sinister, and Irvine becomes the prey.

What follows is a sort of David and Goliath/cat and mouse scenario. Irvine is given a head start in the blazing sun with only a pair of shorts...against Douglas his hi tech weaponry (Steyr assault rifle), and his Mercedes G63 AMG 6X6 truck...an awesome machine, and a big feature of the movie. Only a few of these exist, and they are approx. half a million to buy.

I guess from the storyline description the end is never really in doubt. But it's a decent watch, entertaining, stunning scenery, well acted and with some very tense sequences. Hardly original and clichéd in places, but worth a watch.
    Last edited by Rogue Mail; 06-13-2015 at 02:18 PM.

Watched Society--sort of grade z horror film, but somewhat entertaining on some level nonetheless.

I'm rewatching and thoroughly enjoying Richard Lester's Three Musketeers/Four Musketeers. Lester filmed it all at once and the actors were paid for only one film which definitely made a crowded list of actors that weren't going to work for Lester or that studio again. Nonetheless it is such a brilliant piece of work. The first is lighter in tone, the second decidedly darker as the body count rises and stakes get higher. I put this in the DVD because of Christoper Lee's Rochefort but man, that cast just kicks ass. Probably the best acting job anyone ever got out of Raquel Welch. Oliver Reed and Richard Chamberlain are just goddamn dangerous. Michael York is stellar. Faye Dunaway is deadly without chewing scenery. Charlton Heston and Christopher Lee embody evil yet never descend into cliches. And it's just one great swordfight after another. They can remake Dumas a hundred more times but they'll never top this.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

We saw The Spy last night at the theater. Pretty funny movie, not a lot of laugh out loud moments, but some good chuckles. Overall I would recommend it.

Jurassic World - found this somewhat underwhelming. It's not terrible, it has its good points...but definitely felt to me like it did not really have much to offer that was new, despite what the trailers hinted at. Some spoilers ahead...

It definitely had potential...the idea of a Disney style theme park was well realised, the initial notion of a new breed of dinosaur was intriguing, as was the notion of training the raptors. But...it soon becomes apparent that the filmmakers are so absorbed with referencing the first three movies (most notably the first), that it simply becomes a box-ticking exercise. Cute/annoying kids? Check. T Rex? Check. Cute dinosaurs? Check. Tampering with dna/nature? Check. Raptors? Check...etc.

And as for the potentially interesting new ideas? Wasted.

The 'Raptor training' turned out to be as stupid as it sounds. Not sure why the filmmakers made the decision to turn the raptors into household pets in the beginning, and then think that the audience would still accept them as the ferocious killing machines they once were during the climax/face off with the Big, Bad Hybrid Super-Dino. And the big Pterodactyl attack sequence just seemed to go on far too long, and never seemed that threatening.

And talking of stupid ideas...the big sea dinosaur jumping out at just the right moment to pull the hybrid dino down under the water? I mean...just...why? Plus...how on earth were they not able to track the hybrid dinosaur when they thought it had escaped from the pen? A simple scan using its tracker would have shown it was still there, surely? Yes...I get that it had the ability to avoid thermal and visual tracking...but not the tracker. And if anyone thinks it had the ability to mask the tracker...then why did it claw it out soon after escaping?

And that also made nonsense of the other potentially interesting part of the movie, the dodgy dealings of Ingen corporation regarding breeding and training raptors for combat. An ultimately wasted concept. And...you know you are in trouble with a movie when as soon as a character appears on screen, you know their fate is sealed. There are many such instances in this film.

The good parts? The realisation of the 'World' itself, Chris Pratt's laid-back, knowing performance, some decent chase/action sequences, a few new types of dinosaur. But one thing that struck me was that at no point did the CGI impress me...there seemed to be nothing that we had not seen before.
    Last edited by Rogue Mail; 06-14-2015 at 05:10 PM.

The Fisher King - One of those movies that just gets better with time. Terry Gilliam had just come off Baron Munchausen, and his problems with the studio on that one were well documented.

Fisher King was, at that time, something approaching almost conventional for him. A thinly veiled take on the Arthurian/Holy Grail legend, it stars Jeff Bridges as a shock-jock radio DJ, who's controversial on-air comments prompt a suicidal man to shoot a number of innocent civilians. Devastated with guilt, Bridges character also tries to commit suicide but is 'rescued' by Robin Williams charismatic though somewhat unhinged homeless man.

It's a story about flawed, damaged people and their need for redemption and meaning to their lives...Bridges helps Williams to meet the girl of his affections (Amanda Plummer), which in turn gives some purpose to Bridges life, essentially finding a new 'family' amongst the camaraderie of New York's homeless.

Of course being a Gilliam film, it does not follow convention. William's character is haunted by the demons of his past, which manifest itself in the form of a terrifying vision of a fire breathing red Knight on horseback, chasing him through the street. He also believes he is on a quest for the holy grail, and considers himself an Arthurian knight charged with this quest. Of course all of this is a manifestation of his pain due to the killing of his wife...by the same man that Bridges comments had apparently provoked.

It's possibly Gilliam's most intimate movie, concentrating primarily on the characters and their relationships, with occasional hints of fantasy. The most famous of which is a stunning sequence where NY's Grand Central station is transformed into a massive ballroom, with all of the commuters suddenly taking partners for a waltz.

A great movie...sad, funny, heartbreaking and yet also uplifting. Mention must also be made of Mercedes Reuhl's sassy performance as Bridges love interest, and the late Michael Jeter, who gets a standout, showstopping scene as a singing telegram

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Mail View Post
    The Fisher King - One of those movies that just gets better with time.
    One of my all time favorite films; I've watched it about a half dozen times (something very few movies compel me to do). Your synopsis of it was really good.

The Fisher King - One of those movies that just gets better with time. Terry Gilliam had just come off Baron Munchausen, and his problems with the studio on that one were well documented.

Fisher King was, at that time, something approaching almost conventional for him. A thinly veiled take on the Arthurian/Holy Grail legend, it stars Jeff Bridges as a shock-jock radio DJ, who's controversial on-air comments prompt a suicidal man to shoot a number of innocent civilians. Devastated with guilt, Bridges character also tries to commit suicide but is 'rescued' by Robin Williams charismatic though somewhat unhinged homeless man.

It's a story about flawed, damaged people and their need for redemption and meaning to their lives...Bridges helps Williams to meet the girl of his affections (Amanda Plummer), which in turn gives some purpose to Bridges life, essentially finding a new 'family' amongst the camaraderie of New York's homeless.

Of course being a Gilliam film, it does not follow convention. William's character is haunted by the demons of his past, which manifest itself in the form of a terrifying vision of a fire breathing red Knight on horseback, chasing him through the street. He also believes he is on a quest for the holy grail, and considers himself an Arthurian knight charged with this quest. Of course all of this is a manifestation of his pain due to the killing of his wife...by the same man that Bridges comments had apparently provoked.

It's possibly Gilliam's most intimate movie, concentrating primarily on the characters and their relationships, with occasional hints of fantasy. The most famous of which is a stunning sequence where NY's Grand Central station is transformed into a massive ballroom, with all of the commuters suddenly taking partners for a waltz.

A great movie...sad, funny, heartbreaking and yet also uplifting. Mention must also be made of Mercedes Reuhl's sassy performance as Bridges love interest, and the late Michael Jeter, who gets a standout, showstopping scene as a singing telegram
    Agreed. And Criterion Collection will be doing one of their beautifully remastered editions this summer. I love Criterion as the transfers are, if still alive, usually done with involvement or at least approval of the director,;come with great bonus features; and usually one or more well written essays.

Just got the America Lost and Found - The BBS Story box, with seven movies on Blu Ray for $100 and, after watching Head (weird, but of its time, glad I saw finally but will likely not rewatch) and Easy Rider (still terrific and rewatchable) on Sunday, am getting ready to dive into Five Easy Pieces today. The booklet, which has essays on all seven movies plus another about BBS in general, is great too.

So, I've preordered Fisher King on Blu Ray as I expect it to smoke my previous version. They're a little pricey but worth it. And since most of their remasters are 4k, when 4k media begins to roll out, they'll already be ready with quite a few titles.

I do wish they'd get a few more Cronenberg titles out though...M Butterfly, Crash and, on Blu Ray since they have already released on DVD, Dead Ringers. Would also be great if they did a box for his early years, from Stereo through The Brood....

Sorry...I digressed...but yes, Fisher King is wonderful and joins Terry Gilliam's Time Bandits, Brazil & Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas to get the Criterion upgrade. Would love to see them do more Gilliam also. Woop! Woop!

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jkelman
    And since most of their remasters are 4k, when 4k media begins to roll out, they'll already be ready with quite a few titles.
    I have not heard of 4k media. What is it?

DVDs I have watched recently:

Justified: The Complete Final Season

Kingsman: The Secret Service

Little Accidents - the sole survivor of a West Virginia coal mine accident faces pressures from his mining town. Some miners want him to absolve the mine of blame so that their mining jobs will remain. Others want him to tell the investigators that the mine owners/management are responsible for the deaths. At the same time, a teen witnesses the death of another teen and hides what he knows. A dark but interesting tale.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Bounty Killer

This one is on Netflix. I almost passed it up because it looked a little too cheesy, even for me. Glad I didn't.

Set in the future, government has been overthrown by corporations. There has subsequently been a black market payout for
    higher level white collar kills. Hence, the bounty killers. Lots of mindless violence, action, and some pretty good humor as well.

From what I've read here before, I think Klonk and No Pride would definitely like!
    Last edited by Lou; 06-17-2015 at 09:01 PM.
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Love and Mercy

Enjoyed this. Well acted, and pretty accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    Bounty Killer

This one is on Netflix. I almost passed it up because it looked a little too cheesy, even for me. Glad I didn't.

Set in the future, government has been overthrown by corporations. There has subsequently been a black market payout for
    higher level white collar kills. Hence, the bounty killers. Lots of mindless violence, action, and some pretty good humor as well.

From what I've read here before, I think Klonk and Nosebone would definitely like!
    Thanks Lou! I haven't had the chance to watch many movies lately, but this will go on the list.

One movie I have seen recently though is St. Vincent. Pretty cool grumpy guy has a heart type of flick. Bill Murray is awesome.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

[QUOTE=jkelman;421709]Agreed. And Criterion Collection will be doing one of their beautifully remastered editions this summer. I love Criterion as the transfers are, if still alive, usually done with involvement or at least approval of the director,;come with great bonus features; and usually one or more well written essays.

Just got the America Lost and Found[I]

Should have mentioned that it was the Criterion blu ray I was reviewing, got an early copy of it here in UK on import.

Very good set of (largely new extras) as well, new interviews with all of the cast and crew, a feature on the creation of the Red Knight, one on Bridges training to be a radio shock-jock, and also on his famous on-set photos. Plus deleted scenes.

Pic and sound for a movie of its age are very good, maybe not reference quality compared to today, but its certainly the best it has ever looked and sounded.

The Lords of Salem--best Zombie film so far imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post

One movie I have seen recently though is St. Vincent. Pretty cool grumpy guy has a heart type of flick. Bill Murray is awesome.
    watched this last night.

Sap central, but Bill saved it for me.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    watched this last night.

Sap central, but Bill saved it for me.
    Agreed. I saw it because my wife is a Melissa McCarthy fan. Personally, I don't get what the big appeal is. Hmmm, maybe "big" wasn't the right choice. But Bill was great, as usual. I thought the film borrowed much from the premise of "As Good as it Gets," though I think that's a far superior movie.

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    Agreed. I saw it because my wife is a Melissa McCarthy fan. Personally, I don't get what the big appeal is. Hmmm, maybe "big" wasn't the right choice. But Bill was great, as usual. I thought the film borrowed much from the premise of "As Good as it Gets," though I think that's a far superior movie.

I thought McCarthy was a lot more restrained in this than the normal crude, broad comedy roles she is known for (which personally I don't mind...loved her in The Heat and the recent Spy). Give it time and she could surprise us with more dramatic, serious roles.

And I thought Murray was channelling some of his classic characters/roles from his earlier movies...either way, a good, fun and very watchable movie

I thought McCarthy was a lot more restrained in this than the normal crude, broad comedy roles she is known for (which personally I don't mind...loved her in The Heat and the recent Spy). Give it time and she could surprise us with more dramatic, serious roles.
    Well, you're right. She's a pretty decent actress who gets pigeon-holed from too much of a certain kind of role. I'm all for seeing her get a dramatic role to sink her teeth into, as I think she's proved herself to be a fine comedic actress. My wife watches her tv show, "Mike and Molly." I think the writing is atrocious, but at times, she's hilarious despite that.

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    Well, you're right. She's a pretty decent actress who gets pigeon-holed from too much of a certain kind of role. I'm all for seeing her get a dramatic role to sink her teeth into, as I think she's proved herself to be a fine comedic actress. My wife watches her tv show, "Mike and Molly." I think the writing is atrocious, but at times, she's hilarious despite that.
    I'd never seen Melissa McCarthy before seeing her in 'Vincent', but funny enough I just saw 'Mike and Molly' for the first time and didn't realize til your post, that the main girl was McCarthy, but boy was she funny (she was seeing a therapist), and was just hilarious.

Jurassic World - found this somewhat underwhelming. It's not terrible, it has its good points...but definitely felt to me like it did not really have much to offer that was new, despite what the trailers hinted at. Some spoilers ahead...

It definitely had potential...the idea of a Disney style theme park was well realised, the initial notion of a new breed of dinosaur was intriguing, as was the notion of training the raptors. But...it soon becomes apparent that the filmmakers are so absorbed with referencing the first three movies (most notably the first), that it simply becomes a box-ticking exercise. Cute/annoying kids? Check. T Rex? Check. Cute dinosaurs? Check. Tampering with dna/nature? Check. Raptors? Check...etc.

The 'Raptor training' turned out to be as stupid as it sounds. Not sure why the filmmakers made the decision to turn the raptors into household pets in the beginning, and then think that the audience would still accept them as the ferocious killing machines they once were during the climax/face off with the Big, Bad Hybrid Super-Dino. And the big Pterodactyl attack sequence just seemed to go on far too long, and never seemed that threatening.

And talking of stupid ideas...the big sea dinosaur jumping out at just the right moment to pull the hybrid dino down under the water? I mean...just...why? Plus...how on earth were they not able to track the hybrid dinosaur when they thought it had escaped from the pen? A simple scan using its tracker would have shown it was still there, surely? Yes...I get that it had the ability to avoid thermal and visual tracking...but not the tracker. And if anyone thinks it had the ability to mask the tracker...then why did it claw it out soon after escaping?

And that also made nonsense of the other potentially interesting part of the movie, the dodgy dealings of Ingen corporation regarding breeding and training raptors for combat. An ultimately wasted concept. And...you know you are in trouble with a movie when as soon as a character appears on screen, you know their fate is sealed. There are many such instances in this film.

The good parts? The realisation of the 'World' itself, Chris Pratt's laid-back, knowing performance, some decent chase/action sequences, a few new types of dinosaur. But one thing that struck me was that at no point did the CGI impress me...there seemed to be nothing that we had not seen before.
    Saw this one yesterday. Very well written, thought out summation ^. All of which comprises exactly the movie I hoped to see. Bigger, more dangerous dinosaurs. More violence, bloodshed & death than the previous 3. Emotion generating storyline with the nephews on their own and being saved in part by Auntie Opie's Kid. Only disappointment being that more people were not killed, maimed or eaten by the birds. All in all, a very entertaining couple of hours for my $$.

(I chose to post in this thread because the "JW" thread seemed to contain very little about the movie posted by very few who actually saw the movie.)
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

The film is also getting a thrashing because Opie's kid has a part that is so poorly written many consider it sexist. I don't expect a lot of nuance out of a dinosaur movie but jebus, is it too much to write a female character as something other than just a stereotype.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart