Page 100 of 316 FirstFirst ... 509096979899100101102103104110150200 ... LastLast
Results 2,476 to 2,500 of 7893

Thread: Movies - where we can talk about movies

Sorcerer
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Children of Men has two spectacular shots - the scene inside the car when everything goes to hell in an instant (they put a camera on a post in the middle of the car to turn 360 degrees) and of course the climactic battle scene near the end. Just breathless film-making.
    Good call - forgot about that one.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    With regards to one word movie titles, there's been at least two movies called Crash, with completely different plot lines. One was a David Cronenberg picture (and based on a J.G. Ballard novel) about a woman who becomes sexually fixated on car crashes, while the other was a picture about race relations.
    I always confuse those two.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    With the new Winslet film, Insurgent, I wonder how many more they are going to confuse us with. It hit home last week at work when two people thought they were discussing the same film, but no, one was talking about Oblivion (Cruise), the other about Elysium (Damon)
    Apart from those three there is also:
    Transcendence (Depp)
    Divergent
    Revenant
    Inception (da Caprio)
    Ah ha, so this is where my thread went!!!! Someone could've told me

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I'm guessing an admin merged them.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Watched The November Man, an espionage action movie that I somehow missed hearing about last year when it was new. Stars Pierce Brosnan and the stunning Olga Kurylenko. I thoroughly enjoyed it.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    I'm guessing an admin merged them.
    Yepp! I guess so.

My favorite film of the past 6 months:

Project Almanac - at first the 'found footage' irritated me, but it got more and more interesting as it went.

How come this thread doesn't stay put?
    Watched Hector And The Search For Happiness. I liked this one. IT stars Simon Pegg in a more serious tone than usual as a shrink who goes on a world trip to find what happiness is. China, Tibet, Africa , LA. Full of extended cameos, Chrisopher Plummer, Toni Collette, Jean Reno. Somewhat contrived ,but thought provoking and entertaining. Pegg does really well with the role,as does the rest of the cast with thier's. Worth a watch ,8 of 10 for me.

Great movie, enjoyed it a lot, though a bit predictable.

St_Vincent_poster.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    Great movie, enjoyed it a lot, though a bit predictable.

St_Vincent_poster.jpg
    It was okay; kind of reminiscent of "As Good as it Gets," although I think that was a much better flick. But you know, Murray and Nicholson were the same "shmuck with a hidden heart of gold" character. Saw it because my wife's a Melissa McCarthy fan.

The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1 - When, oh when, will Hollywood (and NewZealandwood) learn to stop making 2 (or 3 or 4 or 5) part epic movies of a single book, just to squeeze a few more dollars from moviegoers? By the time of the only action sequence (a half-assed one at that), I was asleep. Jennifer Lawrence phoned in her performance. Philip Seymour Hoffman died to get out of the series. Hope Mockingjay Part 2 is worth the wait, and worth sitting through a pointless Part 1. On deck I have part gazillion of the Hobbit expanded movie. Can hardly wait.
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    It was okay; kind of reminiscent of "As Good as it Gets," although I think that was a much better flick. But you know, Murray and Nicholson were the same "shmuck with a hidden heart of gold" character. Saw it because my wife's a Melissa McCarthy fan.
    Yep, saw it in the theatre because I generally enjoy Bill Murray. Funny, just saw 'As Good As It Gets' the other night too, not bad, funny moments here and there. 'Vincent' is the only film I've seen Melissa McCarthy in, she did play a likable character.

I haven't bothered with the new 'Hunger Games'. Maybe when the next one comes out I'll seem them together. I think of those type, my favorite is 'The Giver' which I actually enjoyed.

The Giver was pretty good. Recently I read where Jeff Bridges is now disappointed with it. It was an interview with Bridges on Charlie Rose that first got me interested in seeing the movie.

Watched Foxcatcher last night. No complaints about the acting or the (true) story. The pacing seemed very slow. Especially when you know going in that it ends in murder, and you know whodunnit. It was in the news a few years ago; I don't think that's a spoiler. Decent movie, but a nomination for best picture?

To be fair, I have seen a slower movie. Melancholia. That one was intentionally sluggish to let you inside the mind of the chronically clinically depressed. I wanted out.

Melancholia - well done but by then end I was ready to track down Lars Von Trier and beat him to a pulp.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Melancholia - well done but by then end I was ready to track down Lars Von Trier and beat him to a pulp.
    After streaming Melancholia a few months back, I made the mistake of taking on Antichrist.
    -=Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?=-

Yeah, I saw a preview and thought it was going to be something rapturous. Instead it was quite the opposite. Great performance by Kirsten Dunst. Very interesting movie, but I hoped for less of a downer. I would not see it again. I don't think.

The Homesman--Hillary Swank & Tommy Lee Jones in an unusual western. I thought it was pretty good.

The Homesman--Hillary Swank & Tommy Lee Jones in an unusual western. I thought it was pretty good.
    I really liked that one also.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    Saw St Vincent last night. Agreed ,reminiscent of As Good As It Gets, but Murray's character is a man run over by life, Nicholsons was a crazy man. AGAIG was a "bigger" movie, more characters ,bigger budget. Non the less St Vincent has charm a 9 of 10. Love the Russian hooker.

Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1--I enjoy the franchise, so I enjoyed the installment. Perhaps not as good as the previous two, but I didn't find it boring. If you like the franchise you'd probably enjoy it.

The Homesman - really liked this atypical western.

The Hobbit Part XXXVIII:The Battle of the 5 Armies - While I still don't believe this regular-length novel should have been divided into several 2-hour segments, I enjoyed this final episode, which had more action than the other segments combined. Only complaint: could they not have had a recap of the previous episode, since they gave me a couple years to forget where they left off in the story? Aside from that, good Tolkien fun!

Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1--I enjoy the franchise, so I enjoyed the installment. Perhaps not as good as the previous two, but I didn't find it boring. If you like the franchise you'd probably enjoy it.
    I didn't find it boring either. Actually liked it quite a bit. Sure it wasn't chock full o' action, but I was engaged the whole way through. Definitely left me looking forward to the next one.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

The Getaway (1972)

My favorite Sam Peckinpah/ Steve McQueen collaboration.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Mental Floss just posted this list of unbroken takes in movies. I hadn't heard of some of these:

http://mentalfloss.com/article/56605...n-takes-movies
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart