Page 82 of 316 FirstFirst ... 327278798081828384858692132182 ... LastLast
Results 2,026 to 2,050 of 7893

Thread: Movies - where we can talk about movies

Re: Godzilla -- Seriously! (virtually high-fives back)

Re: misspelt 'Genesis' -- lollers.
    rcarlberg: Is there anything sadder than a song that has never been played?
    Plasmatopia: Maybe a song in D minor that has never been played?

bob_32_116: That would be a terrific triple bill: Cyan, Magenta and Yello.

trurl: The Odyssey: "He's trying to get home."

"Fury" http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2713180/?ref_=nv_sr_1
    Yet another WW2 movie comes out, different day, location. We still end up winning of course (?) Very graphic scenes throughout; like the beginning of Private Ryan every few minutes. I liked it!

(Count me in!!)
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by TheLoony View Post
    If by talking about this one person watches it I'll feel I did my job. This one, I feel, needs to be seen by everyone just to see how awful those in control really are. What they did to him is unconscionable. He was one of the good guys, which seem to be few and far between these days. Hopefully, there are people like him still out there who haven't yet been silenced.
    Yeah, I agree. I think the govt. became aware of him during the time of Snowden, so they considered them both the same thing, and also due to the prosecutor's ego. The govt. should have offered him a high paying job to work for them against hackers--but then, it's the govt.

I watched "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?" the other night; hadn't seen it since the first time, probably over 30 years ago. I wonder if there's ever been a more intense film about a love/hate relationship within a marriage. The verbal abuse is just non stop! Great acting from Richard Burton and Elizabeth Taylor (who won an Oscar for it) and one of the better film adaptations of a stage play. I normally cringe from witnessing people treating each other so horribly, but there's something very compelling about this one.

Objective, Burma!--war film where troops parachute in to blow up a Japanese base and communications depot, and get trapped on island. Erroll Flynn plays their commander, pretty good action film.

The Hurt Locker--couldn't watch this the first couple of times due to the motion camera things, and probably my mood, but it's actually a pretty good film.

"Get On Up" http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2473602/?ref_=nv_sr_3
    Pretty good tale of James Brown's rise from poverty to becoming the Godfather of Soul.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    I just learned they are making a movie of "Inherent Vice," a book I recently read. Looking forward to it. For those who haven't read it, you have about a month before the movie is released to read a very good novel.

Thanks for the heads up about the James Brown flick. Gotta see that.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants
    Objective, Burma!--war film where troops parachute in to blow up a Japanese base and communications depot, and get trapped on island. Erroll Flynn plays their commander, pretty good action film.
    The Railway Man is an excellent, more recent movie about the psychological impact of the war in Burma. Not saying the classics aren't good. Just something worth checking out.
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

I have The Railway Man at home now, so will check it out. There's a new movie called Unbroken that will be out on Dec. 25th that I'm looking forward to as well.

We were talking about ambiguous film endings for a bit. Here are a Top 10 with such endings: http://www.esquire.com/blogs/culture...rc=syn&mag=esq

Here's Rolling Stones Top 10 Films for 2014: http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/l...-2014-20141204

Stephen Colbert interviews one of the stars from the upcoming Hobbit film

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I think I've seen all the movies on the Esquire list, and only one on the Rolling Stone list, although that has more to do with the age of the movies and their availability on DVD than my desire to see them.

And now for something completely different...

Septic Man

Yes that's what I said. While scrolling through some movies to rent on cable earlier in the week I came across this. Cmon...how could I not watch? Well, I'm definitely not going to recommend it, but at least it had enough of a story for me to sit through the whole thing. Handful of gross-out moments, low budget, mediocre acting about a sewage worker that gets caught in a septic tank while trying to figure out why a town's water has become contaminated.

4 out of 10 'shitty' jobs

Tonight I'll be watching a movie called The Babadook Actually heard it was quite the excellent horror movie.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Guardians Of The Galaxy will be watched this weekend
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Guardians Of The Galaxy will be watched this weekend
    Watched it a few days ago. I liked it. 7.5 of 10 for me. Nice that theres no one wearing their underware outside of their pants.

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    Watched it a few days ago. I liked it. 7.5 of 10 for me. Nice that theres no one wearing their underware outside of their pants.
    Surprisingly good movie ! Characters (esp Rocket), writing, effects are great ! I couldn't stand the music, but that's my problem. Maybe I can make a prog version.......

Caught this on AMC yesterday - "Pursuit Of Happyness." That is the title, I didn't misspell "happiness." I know it's a "true" story but you really have to suspend your disbelief to sit through it. God, and all Will Smith does through the entire film is run, run, run through the streets of San Francisco. I mean Christ, the guy is in a perpetual state of panic running around with his kid in tow through busy streets, carrying luggage and all his posessions and shit. In one scene he's in the middle of a busy street, anxious and figity, then gets distracted because "he saw someone he recognized." So now he starts his usual, panicked running in between traffic and whatnot, and gets hit by a car. Of course he's okay, but he loses one shoe. So now he goes back to work at Dean Whitter missing a shoe..... . Terrible film. Sorry, I know it's supposed to be "inspiring" and all that, and I'm happy that Chris Gardner succeeded against all the odds stacked against him, but they really took creative license with it. Really a bad film.

The Babadook

If any of you scary movie fans are looking for a nice change of pace from all the flash of the latest batch of horror, check it out. No shakey found footage camera, no cheap jump scares, just a good (not all original) and very creepy story to get under your skin for a couple hours. This one is downbeat, slow burn and for the tiny budget, very well done! Not sure how I feel about the ending yet lol. Definitely recommended if you like a slow build up type of movie with a creepy, unsettling atmosphere throughout.

8 out of 10 freaky-ass children's books

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    None of the current/forthcoming cinema superheroes do. I'm all for a superheroine fighting crime in her underwear, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    The Babadook

If any of you scary movie fans are looking for a nice change of pace from all the flash of the latest batch of horror, check it out. No shakey found footage camera, no cheap jump scares, just a good (not all original) and very creepy story to get under your skin for a couple hours. This one is downbeat, slow burn and for the tiny budget, very well done! Not sure how I feel about the ending yet lol. Definitely recommended if you like a slow build up type of movie with a creepy, unsettling atmosphere throughout.

I hope more horror films in this vein continue to be made. Enough of the CGI-fuelled, chicks-and-dudes-in-the-worst-place-at-the-worst-time bullshit.

The Babadook

I'll check this out.

I enjoy the dread!
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Just don't go into it expecting something completely new, Chris. It's been done before with the whole 'monster in the closet' thing. It was mostly just a refreshing change of pace for me with what's been put out lately in the horror field. I thought the acting was very well done too as I genuinely cared for the mother and son.

Very curious to hear what you think. Especially with the ending.

The Babadook

Interesting you just posted this. Last night while I was at work my wife texted me saying "I want to go see The Babadook". Having absolutely no clue what she was talking about I texted back, "WTF is a Babadook?". Now I know,........I had never heard of this flick before. Anyway it seems to be getting good reviews. We may try to catch it next weekend.

I just watched Gaspar Noé's "Enter The Void", a bizarre, jumbled, overly long monstrosity that is part Noé's own "Irreversible" and part "The Tree Of Life". I'm not sure what to make of it... anyone else seen this one?
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    I just watched Gaspar Noé's "Enter The Void", a bizarre, jumbled, overly long monstrosity that is part Noé's own "Irreversible" and part "The Tree Of Life". I'm not sure what to make of it... anyone else seen this one?
    Haven't seen that but I did see Irreversible a few years back and that was, er, something else.

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    Haven't seen that but I did see Irreversible a few years back and that was, er, something else.
    I loved Irreversible, although I of course found it disturbing. Stuck with me for days after seeing it. But the ending with the selection from Beethoven's 7th was just so beautiful I'm sure I was left with a dropped jaw.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***