Page 81 of 316 FirstFirst ... 317177787980818283848591131181 ... LastLast
Results 2,001 to 2,025 of 7893

Thread: Movies - where we can talk about movies

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Re: Sorceror, I went to school with Roy Scheider's daughter. She was very cute, with a little nose just like her dad's!
    Molly or Maxi?
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Pretty incredible documentary on Aaron Swartz a internet/techie prodigy, who was charged by the govt for hacking, although was never proven. The movie made me mad that our govt can be so stupid and inept at times, but I guess that's nothing new...

Watched The Lookout. 2007 flic with J Gordon-Levitt and Jeff Daniels. Good flic, good gimmick . Involves a bank robbery but has a unique POV. The lead male in the rom-com Leap Year in a role totally opposite that film. He's a great villain, amongst a plethora of villainy. Easy 8 of 10.

Couple of screenings this week-

"Boyhood" http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1065073/?ref_=nv_sr_1
    They filmed this for two or three weeks a year over 12 years. Eller Coltrane, Patricia Arquette, Ethan Hawke and director Richard Linklater bring a brilliant perspective of growing up to the screen as they actually grow-up before your eyes. Especially Eller, who plays Mason from ages 5-18. Patricia and Ethan are his parents who have been separated yet find a way to keep it friendly over all these years. Amazing watching actors actually age as opposed to have others play different ages or by the use of make-up. Well done.

"Wild" http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2305051/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1
    Based on a true story, Reese Witherspoon portrays a woman, who in 1995 determines to cleanse herself/mind by hiking the 1000+ mile Pacific Crest Trail through the Mojave Desert north through Oregon and Washington alone.
    Wonderful scenery. Most of the time I thought I was watching a Discovery channel show. I thought it was just ok, especially when comparing it to "Into The Wild" from a few years ago, although that one had the lead character trying to live in the wilderness while this one just had her trying to cross it.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

watched About Time

very good English film about "time travel" but really about living every day to the fullest potential

8 out of 10 'did I just say that? wait a sec'
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Edge of Tomorrow (yes, only just finally getting around to seeing it for the first time) -- loved it! Favourite big movie of the year (so far). Except for one thing. But that didn't take away from the rest of the movie. Loved the touches of black comedy especially, the rode the line of being overly humourous. Hard. Like a mechanical bull set on "advanced" hard. But never over. And they were smart to stick those bits in the trailer.
    rcarlberg: Is there anything sadder than a song that has never been played?
    Plasmatopia: Maybe a song in D minor that has never been played?

bob_32_116: That would be a terrific triple bill: Cyan, Magenta and Yello.

trurl: The Odyssey: "He's trying to get home."

Finally watched the oldie Laura all the way through the other night. I have seen bits and pieces over the years but never from start to finish. It was fun to see it on TCM . Saw footage I never saw and plot points I never new about. One of the very few "classics" I haven't seen. Its a 1944 chock full of stars in their prime. Dana Andrews , Gene Tierney, Vincent Price, Clifton Webb, directed by Otto Preminger. Not really noir, but a murder mystery. Cool gimmick, and a polished Hollywood presentation. Some weird pot holes but on the whole an 8 of 10 for any classic movie fan. The only other film I can think of I havnt seen all of with equal cache is Gilda with G Ford and Rita Hayworth. Think I'll track down a copy and microwave some popcorn soon.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Finally got to see Snowpiercer last night. Great movie.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Insidious--horror supernatural flick, spooky hokum, haunted houses, spirits, it was okay.

"Birdman" http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2562232/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1
    Michael Keaton plays an actor (bit of a stretch) who was a big screen superhero (bit of a stretch) who now wants to be a real or Broadway actor. Ed Norton was great as another actor (bit of a stretch).
    Lots of bizarre moments; Scott Pilgrim, Truman Show, Firestarter type of bizarre moments. Solo jazz drummer provided for a wonderful soundtrack/musical interludes throughout.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

I loved that movie so much, might be my indie movie of the year. Just fantastic concept, presentation, and execution. That scene where his daughter tells him off, then looks horrified at herself, just about brought me to tears.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    Molly or Maxi?
    Max (as we called her). But sadly after posting that I read that she's passed away. Sad indeed, far, far too young.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    Finally watched the oldie Laura all the way through the other night. I have seen bits and pieces over the years but never from start to finish. It was fun to see it on TCM . Saw footage I never saw and plot points I never new about. One of the very few "classics" I haven't seen. Its a 1944 chock full of stars in their prime. Dana Andrews , Gene Tierney, Vincent Price, Clifton Webb, directed by Otto Preminger. Not really noir, but a murder mystery. Cool gimmick, and a polished Hollywood presentation. Some weird pot holes but on the whole an 8 of 10 for any classic movie fan. The only other film I can think of I havnt seen all of with equal cache is Gilda with G Ford and Rita Hayworth. Think I'll track down a copy and microwave some popcorn soon.
    I need to see Gilda again. If you can find The Big Street with Lucille Ball and Henry Fonda, see it if you haven't already.

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    Pretty incredible documentary on Aaron Swartz a internet/techie prodigy, who was charged by the govt for hacking, although was never proven. The movie made me mad that our govt can be so stupid and inept at times, but I guess that's nothing new...
    If by talking about this one person watches it I'll feel I did my job. This one, I feel, needs to be seen by everyone just to see how awful those in control really are. What they did to him is unconscionable. He was one of the good guys, which seem to be few and far between these days. Hopefully, there are people like him still out there who haven't yet been silenced.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

Max (as we called her). But sadly after posting that I read that she's passed away. Sad indeed, far, far too young.
    She predeceased her father, Roy, by two years.

Terminator: Genisys trailer. I still don't understand why they are rebooting instead of finishing it off but that's Hollyweird for ya.

You're about to watch Arnold Schwarzenegger launch himself out of one helicopter and into another helicopter as though he were a missile. The first trailer for Terminator: Genisys has just been released, and it's clear that this fifth movie is a very different kind of Terminator film than what you're used to. It's a reboot of the series, and it's definitely kicking things up a notch (or more) when it comes to action and scale. The film takes place in an alternate universe where Sarah Connor is a total badass even back in 1984 and, for some reason, has a Terminator for a father. It sounds totally insane, and it probably is.

Even for how crazy everything looks, it's hard for any fan of the original two movies not to be intrigued by what's going on here. The trailer makes Genisys look, in part, like a mashup of the first two films, recreating iconic scenes, lines, and villains, but positioning them all in different ways. That nostalgia trip is pretty intentional: the filmmakers know that the last couple of Terminator films have left a bad taste with people, so they're trying to throw out the bad parts of the series and spin up a compelling new story. Genisys features the same general plot about robots trying to destroy humanity, but it brings a lot more time travel into the mix. It'll also set the stage for a trilogy. The film is scheduled for a release next year on July 1st.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

Right, because the premise behind the entire series is changing history. I'm only disappointed that they don't make a reference to rebooting the franchise in the trailer, I hope they say something to the effect of, "can we just pretend that never happened?" during the movie.

I need to see Gilda again. If you can find The Big Street with Lucille Ball and Henry Fonda, see it if you haven't already.
    I have seen The Big Street and its very good. Lucille Ball was also in a favorite of mine, The Dark Corner, a 1946 noir. IThis was one of the first movies I saw as a kid on commercial broadcast TV that made me aware there was a whole different class of movies out there. Ball is a PI's secretary figuring in the solving of the plot dilemma. William Bendix plays a sadistic heavy . The scee that stuck with me for years, even after I forgot the title was that of Bendix trying to throw the hero out a skyscraper window. Years later I "rediscovered" this movie , it was way harder in pre-video and cable to see all but the most popular commercial successful flics. Lucille Ball had quite a successful serious acting run pre I Love Lucy. She was quite the hottie.
    Another film Im really jonesing for is Kiss Me Deadly, a Mickey Spillane Mike Hammer film. Its a '55 noir, very violent for its time, with lots of immorale values, sexual blackmail ,and a killer McGuffen. It starts off with Hammer picking up a naked Cloris Leachman another hottie in her younger years, and ramps up from there. Killer unique gimmick and ending.

Don't let your meatloaf! Paulie's Avatar
    Saw a little low budget indy "horror" last night on Netflix Streaming called "Come Back to Me." With the right budget and some tighter direction, this story could have really stood out. As it stands, it's still pretty good, albeit a tad confusing until the pieces fall together quite nicely towards the ending. The very non-hollywood climax was an excellent payoff here as well.

My guess is most of you here will poo-poo this, but I think my pal Klonkers would at least get a kick out of it like I did.

7.5 out of 10 Rainbridge Farms Chocolate Chip Cookies.
    "That gum you like is going to come back in style."

Okay. Rebooting a film that's all about re-writing history can work, I suppose, but why the need to misspell "Genesis?" Is that one of the things they re-write?
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Paulie View Post
    Saw a little low budget indy "horror" last night on Netflix Streaming called "Come Back to Me." With the right budget and some tighter direction, this story could have really stood out. As it stands, it's still pretty good, albeit a tad confusing until the pieces fall together quite nicely towards the ending. The very non-hollywood climax was an excellent payoff here as well.

My guess is most of you here will poo-poo this, but I think my pal Klonkers would at least get a kick out of it like I did.

7.5 out of 10 Rainbridge Farms Chocolate Chip Cookies.

I saw it and yes, I poo- poo it!

Don't let your meatloaf! Paulie's Avatar
    See? Do I know this board, or do I know this board?
    "That gum you like is going to come back in style."

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Okay. Rebooting a film that's all about re-writing history can work, I suppose, but why the need to misspell "Genesis?" Is that one of the things they re-write?
    That's pretty much the same conceit behind the Cris Pine Star Trek reboot. Not a bad way to keep a franchise series going after the original actors age out , if done well.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulie View Post
    See? Do I know this board, or do I know this board?
    It's now on my list
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

I caved in and watched the Terminator: Genisys trailer the other day.

WHAT A PIECE OF SHIT. Looks positively awful.

In much better news, how rad is it that Toho has decided to start making Godzilla movies again?! So now we're going to get Godzilla from studios on both sides of the Pacific! *Virtually High-Fives Everybody*