Page 308 of 316 FirstFirst ... 208258298304305306307308309310311312 ... LastLast
Results 7,676 to 7,700 of 7893

Thread: Movies - where we can talk about movies

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Here is a list of films shot in the Lone Pine/Alabama Hills/Whitney Portal area of eastern California. Not all of them are Westerns, e.g. Tremors.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...t_in_Lone_Pine
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    These are people I am not interested in. I've heard of them, but don't follow their day to day lives, nor those of any other "celebrities."
    Me neither, I was just using them as examples to explain the meaning of that term to you. But Martha Stewart's recipe for buttermilk pancakes is the best!

You can't fool me. The president doesn't listen to advice. Why would he hire an advisor?
    In this case, because he has the hots for her. But he didn't so much "hire" her as have sex with one of his wives. I don't know which one of his families she's from.
    Last edited by JKL2000; 06-18-2018 at 07:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    Hostiles (2017). RT: 73% (critics), 72% (audience).
    Sorry, if I sound like I've just come back from the ice age, but from which site come theses ratings, please?
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

^ RT = Rotten Tomatoes

wall.gif

I knew that!!

thx
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Sorry, if I sound like I've just come back from the ice age, but from which site come theses ratings, please?
    Incidentally, RottenTomatoes' scores are not really ratings in the traditional sense. They are just the percentage of the people who saw a particular movie and liked it. Unlike IMDB or Metacritic, whose scores are an average of ratings. Given how quality is such a subjective thing, anyway, it seems to me that RT's scores are more appropriate since they're not value judgements.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Recently watched two movies.

1. Flatliners (2017 remake) - If you saw the original 1990 picture, there is no good reason to see this. If you never saw the 1990 film, there is still no good reason to see this.

2. Thelma (Norway 2017) - A shy girl raised on religion has epileptic seizures and awakens dangerous supernatural powers when she goes off to college. This is not a remake of Carrie, if my description makes it seem so. Some might bemoan the slow pace of the film, but it would not be improved by speeding it up. The pacing is intentional, as is the way events of her childhood are revealed. It is not too long at 2 hours. Filmed in Norway. The DVD I saw had speech in Norwegian and subtitles in English with no other options for either. It's not Hollywood escapist fluff. I liked it.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Recently watched two movies.

1. Flatliners (2017 remake) - If you saw the original 1990 picture, there is no good reason to see this. If you never saw the 1990 film, there is still no good reason to see this.
    I saw the original, it was okay at the time. The remake is horrible. Badly acted and useless plot.
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 06-23-2018 at 07:33 AM.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Saw Deadpool 2 last night, I laughed a lot, loads of action, rude humor and asides to camera. Loved Cable, Juggernaut & Domino.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

2. Thelma (Norway 2017) - A shy girl raised on religion has epileptic seizures and awakens dangerous supernatural powers when she goes off to college. This is not a remake of Carrie, if my description makes it seem so. Some might bemoan the slow pace of the film, but it would not be improved by speeding it up. The pacing is intentional, as is the way events of her childhood are revealed. It is not too long at 2 hours. Filmed in Norway. The DVD I saw had speech in Norwegian and subtitles in English with no other options for either. It's not Hollywood escapist fluff. I liked it.
    I saw this one last winter and liked it very much (I gave it a 7.5/10)... I did think of the Carrie comparison, but dropped it very quickly

here is what I had to say (in French) about it:

Thriller fantastique norvégien de Joachim Trier, pourtant plus habitué ŕ Cannes que le FFF de Bxl.. Une fille devenue unique parvient ŕ s'éloigner de ses parents bigots et étouffant qui l'ont élevé en rase campagne en arrivant ŕ Oslo pour étudier la biologie ŕ l'unif. Une nouvelle vie commence avec les contacts estudiantins et les soirées (alcool et taffe) et surtout une belle nana qui lui fait des avances et elles finissent par tomber amoureuses l'une de l'autre. Tout irait pour le mieux, si Thelma ne subissait de trčs inquiétantes crises qui ressemblent ŕ deux gouttes d'eau ŕ l’épilepsie. Il se trouve que c'est qqe chose de bien plus inquiétant, et a des origines surnaturelles, qui a pris racine dčs son plus jeune âge. La tension est en augmentation constante, mais heureusement le gore n'arrive jamais. Les parents (+/- au courant de la maladie) veillent au grain de loin, mais on devine qqes heures de train ou voiture pour venir surveiller sa progéniture. Le film dérape donc dans le surnaturel ou tout n'est pas expliqué, mais on reste dans un softcore, surtout au vu des récentes productions scandinaves de ces derničres années. Les acteurs sont bons, les paysages un peu surprenants (n'attendez pas de fjords et d'églises Stavkirke), et donc dépaysement inattendu.

Next Stop Greenwich Village - 1976. Director, Paul Mazursky. A slight tale set in 1950's Brooklyn NY, about a young struggling Jewish actor trying to make his way in the world. It's a kind of meandering, comic/tragic slice of nostalgia for Greenwich Village but it's notable for some interesting casting - Shelley Winters is hilarious as a typical Jewish mother, constantly worrying if her son is eating properly and making unannounced visits to his apartment...Lenny Baker in the lead role, a very good performance but he only did a few TV movies and guest spots after this, and died very young of AIDS...Ellen Greene, unrecognisable as his girlfriend but a great performance...and early roles for Jeff Goldblum as a precocious actor...Antonio 'Huggy Bear' Fargas as flamboyant gay actor...an early role for Christopher Walken, and a very early blink-and-you'll-miss-it role for Bill Murray.

Black Panther - decided to pick this up cheap and give it another watch. I was utterly bored by it when I saw it at the cinema. This time round, I got half way through and the boredom got the better of me. Gave up. Just cannot deal with this movie, it does absolutely nothing for me.
    I only clicked on it because I thought it was going to be something more interesting...

Jurassic World - Fallen Kingdom

Just what you want from a lazy summer afternoon movie. Heroes, nefarious characters, a TON of action, CGI O'plenty.
    No new ground here as far as the Jurassic franchise goes. Chris Pratt and Bryce Dallas Howard return as the good guys
    trying to save the dinosaurs from the island that is about to be decimated by an active volcano.Espionage by greedy evil types.
    Come uppance. Room for sequel.

It was a fun entertaining movie. I enjoyed it a great deal.
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom

"Jurassic World" was every bit as ridiculous as the trailer made it seem. Is it possible to be too "over the top" in a movie about re-created dinosaurs?

But all six heroes made it home safe, so it was a success.

I could have gone for a touch of irony here and there, or some humor, or a little self-awareness... but as Lou points out above, it's just a summer popcorn movie. Special FX have gotten frighteningly good. There's one scene which (probably intentionally?) more-or-less duplicates the pioneering stop-action dinosaur fight in 1925's The Lost World. Willis O'Brien would be astonished.

Isn't Goldblum in this one? Surely there was a little humor/irony in his presence. Damn, I love Goldblum. He just killed it in that last Thor movie.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Isn't Goldblum in this one? Surely there was a little humor/irony in his presence. Damn, I love Goldblum. He just killed it in that last Thor movie.
    Goldblum has a cameo testifying in court at the very beginning, and very end of the film. Maybe 4 minutes screen time total.
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

And no humor. His testimony is dead serious.

Loving Vincent (2017). This film was shot first with live actors, then 125 painters from all over the world spent two years duplicating every single frame of it in oil paints, most of it in the style of Vincent Van Gogh. The result is not only technically astonishing, but acting is great, and the story intriguing. It’s unknown if Van Gogh killed himself (as he claimed when he was shot in the stomach) or was murdered by somebody he wanted to protect. Suicide by a painful slow-acting stomach shot would be unusual, especially in a man who was not depressed. It’s a murder mystery, wrapped up in an enigma.

I loved it in the theater. The Blu-ray Disc is equally fabulous, because you can freeze individual frames and admire the artwork. Also, many many “making of” featurettes on how/why it was done.

I just wasted 2 hours watching a movie with 4 great actors that are having a contest seeing who can give the worst performance. The Mexican, with Pitt, Julia Roberts, Gandolfini & JK Simmons is close to the top of the list for me of movies that should never have been made.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

I once saw this movie where a kid solved a crime and murderer in their dreams... Can anyone remember this movie please!! ?

Summer of Fear (1978)

Made for TV horror flick starring Linda Blair & Fran Drescher directed by Wes Craven.

Cheezy goodness with Blair donning a tumbleweed perm!

no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

"Cheezy Goodness" is Wes Craven's middle name.

Quote Originally Posted by noni View Post
    I once saw this movie where a kid solved a crime and murderer in their dreams... Can anyone remember this movie please!! ?
    Nightmare On Elm Street.

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    Nightmare On Elm Street.
    Johnny Depp's debut.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I watched "My Favorite Year" today. It's of course based on Sid Caesar's Your Show Of Shows (here called King Kaiser's Comedy Cavalcade) from the mid-50s and stars Peter O'Toole as Alan Swann (who's supposed to be Errol Flynn) and Mark Linn-Baker as the apprentice writer who's charged with babysitting him for the week running up to showtime. O'Toole is tremendous, as is Joe Bologna as King Kaiser. They just don't make em like that anymore.