Page 213 of 316 FirstFirst ... 113163203209210211212213214215216217223263313 ... LastLast
Results 5,301 to 5,325 of 7893

Thread: Movies - where we can talk about movies

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Watched Arrival last night, a bit slowly paced but deep & engaging
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Watched A DOGS PURPOSE last night. If you are an animal lover like me, then you will enjoy this...Don't believe the bullshit from TMZ /PETA. Go and see it!!!
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

Quote Originally Posted by adap2it View Post
    Watched A DOGS PURPOSE last night. If you are an animal lover like me, then you will enjoy this...Don't believe the bullshit from TMZ /PETA. Go and see it!!!
    I understand PETAs position and purpose but at times they go overboard. Their campaign finished Barnum Baily Circus, a real shame and counterproductive to their cause in general IMO.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I've got my eyes on one of three movies this weekend:

Manchester by the Sea
    John Wick 2
    Split

I'm watching the African-America trifecta this weekend (Fences, Hidden Figures & Moonlighting).
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    I understand PETAs position and purpose but at times they go overboard. Their campaign finished Barnum Baily Circus, a real shame and counterproductive to their cause in general IMO.
    It's a very touchy subject, pro's and con's...I don't eat meat because of my love of animals, there is no way that I would contribute to animal cruelty.
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

I watched Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides last night because well, I don't know. I loved the first in the series but the next two were far too convoluted. This one was simpler but the first half seemed to be just one action set piece after another with some appalling hand-waving away of basic geography. The second half, once all the protagonists make landfall, worked far better. The feud between Barbosa and Blackbeard had some meat, particularly because though the actors are hamming it up a little Rush and McShane are still two very very good actors. Depp was Depp but this time his character was a little more tolerable, driving the plot more than just reacting to it. Plus for once Captain Jack was actually committed to doing the right thing instead of being manipulated into it. There's still a young couple at the center of it but neither were as annoying as Orlando Bloom and Keira Knightley were in Pirates III. And I liked how the movie handled the concept of mermaids. It wasn't a perfect film by any means but the last half entertained me enough to like it.

7 out of 10 monkeys trapped in a glass bottle.
    Last edited by Jerjo; 02-13-2017 at 12:42 PM.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Saw two of the most-hyped movies ever (when I was a teenager) this past weekend: The Fearless Vampire Killers and Candy. These were big when I was in high school and never saw them back then. I figured I'd give them a shot when I saw the DVDs at the Boston Public Library. Fearless was like watching a live action Japanese Anime. Same wacky professor with the outrageously huge mustache and the inept assistant who saves the day. Did get to see Sharon Tate's boobs for a fleeting second, so it wasn't a total waste. Candy, other than the spectacular color in the just-released, restored Kino Lorber edition, was rather boring at over 2 hours. As a horny teenager, I read some of the book at summer camp in 1967, so figured the movie might be interesting. Seeing Marlon Brando as a groovy guru was hard to take. Ringo as a Mexican gardener and Richard Burton as the pompous poet were cool. Wherever Burton was, the wind tossed his hair and cape around, even in a car. Did get to see Ewa Aulin's boobs for a fleeting second, so it wasn't a total waste.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Watched The Girl On The Train this weekend, it wasn't bad, a bit unbelievable at times, very talky and rather slow but enjoyable end of the movie with a moderately good twist we got about 30 minutes from the end.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Manchester by the Sea was a tour to force acting movie. Actually a straightforward plot but acted with such conviction and a sense of realism. Casey Affleck must be a lead for an academy.

Anyone seen Split (likely the next on my list)?

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    Candy, other than the spectacular color in the just-released, restored Kino Lorber edition, was rather boring at over 2 hours. As a horny teenager, I read some of the book at summer camp in 1967, so figured the movie might be interesting. Seeing Marlon Brando as a groovy guru was hard to take. Ringo as a Mexican gardener and Richard Burton as the pompous poet were cool. Wherever Burton was, the wind tossed his hair and cape around, even in a car. Did get to see Ewa Aulin's boobs for a fleeting second, so it wasn't a total waste.
    Candy ! I was hoping to never think of that one again ! Nice blonde from outer space ....does what spacey blondes do ! I'd like to hear Ringo's thoughts about that movie today. He had an interesting part. Not too many lines though. And Burton... that was the most overblown (literally) entrance of all time !! I think I read somewhere that this part is the only one he ever regretted playing.
    But, yeah, Ewa kept it from being a total waste.....

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    On CTTE for some reason on the TVs in the cabins they had a handful of "RiffTrax" movies in rotation. RiffTrax is (I learned) done by some of the guys from MST3K, but IMO they are even funnier because they can be more off color. The movies they had were Star Wars, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Jurassic Park, and an early Doctor Who episode. Maybe something more. Anymore, I'm looking into these more as I really enjoyed them. Laugh out loud funny, IMO.

Watched one today that I missed back in 2005: Proof, with Anthony Hopkins, Gwyneth Paltrow and Jake Gyllenhaall. Decent drama that held my interest.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Watched The Girl On The Train this weekend, it wasn't bad, a bit unbelievable at times, very talky and rather slow but enjoyable end of the movie with a moderately good twist we got about 30 minutes from the end.
    The wife and I watched this one last weekend. I had pretty much the same opinion. Didn't love it or hate it.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    I watched a film called Criminal last night. Pretty decent action flick with Kevin Costner in an unusual role for him. The female lead is Gal Gadot, who will soon play Wonder Woman on a movie screen near you. Filmed in and around London. I liked it.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    I watched a film called Criminal last night. Pretty decent action flick with Kevin Costner in an unusual role for him. The female lead is Gal Gadot, who will soon play Wonder Woman on a movie screen near you. Filmed in and around London. I liked it.
    Yeah, I liked that one.
    Ian

Re-watched Royal Tennenbaums a couple of days ago. First time I've seen it since I saw it in the theater almost exactly 15 years ago. I can understand why some people hate it, but I thought that it had enough funny stuff (especially in the first half) for it to be overall enjoyable. I like that it was in a "fake" NYC, as it allowed them to use the locale as the basis for humor, to those who are familiar with the area. Gene Hackman was (and I use "was" because he has retired) one of the really underrated actors. I just wish the film's great set-up produced more of a story.

After watching Moonlight yesterday, if Mahershala Ali doesn't win best supporting actor, then the Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences is even more racist and elitist than is already acknowledged by many.

IMHO
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    After watching Moonlight yesterday, if Mahershala Ali doesn't win best supporting actor, then the Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences is even more racist and elitist than is already acknowledged by many.

IMHO
    He's apparently the front-runner.

Don't let your meatloaf! Paulie's Avatar
    Watched The Nice Guys the other day. What a fun flick. We laughed our asses off. I haven't had this much unexpected fun with over the top un-PC brutality since Kickass. Fun characters, great one liners, and some decent 70s grit.

8.5 out of 10 laughs watching Ryan Gossling channel Lou Costello in the gully scene.
    Last edited by Paulie; 02-14-2017 at 06:29 PM.
    "That gum you like is going to come back in style."

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Manchester by the Sea was a tour to force acting movie. Actually a straightforward plot but acted with such conviction and a sense of realism. Casey Affleck must be a lead for an academy.
    Loved this. I gotta say, Affleck was great but the actor that played his kid stole the show for us.

Oh, while I'm at it, check out the HBO doc The Eagles of Death Metal directed by Colin Hanks. Fkn powerful stuff that actually had me choking back some tears on several occasions.

9 out of 10...ehh, I got nuthin. Just check it out.
    Last edited by Paulie; 02-14-2017 at 06:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulie View Post
    Oh, while I'm at it, check out the HBO doc The Eagles of Death Metal directed by Colin Hanks. Fkn powerful stuff that actually had me choking back some tears quite on several occasions.

9 out of 10...ehh, I got nuthin. Check it out tho.
    I saw Colin Hanks interviewed on Conan where he discussed the movie. Will have to check it out.

The kid was stellar on Manchester by the Sea (was the scenery familiar to you?).

Quote Originally Posted by Paulie View Post
    Watched The Nice Guys the other day. What a fun flick. We laughed our asses off. I haven't had this much fun with over the top un-PC brutality since Kickass. Fun characters, great one liners, and some decent 70s grit.

8.5 out of 10 laughs watching Ryan Gossling channel Lou Costello in the gully scene.
    Yup . x2

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    The kid was stellar on Manchester by the Sea (was the scenery familiar to you?).
    The Quincy scenes were (lived there for 9 years).