Page 149 of 316 FirstFirst ... 4999139145146147148149150151152153159199249 ... LastLast
Results 3,701 to 3,725 of 7893

Thread: Movies - where we can talk about movies

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    Safe, cliched and cartoon ending... yes. But the science was not at all ridiculous
    I guess it was NASA duct tape that saved his one of many lives up there.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by proggosaurus View Post
    I was surprised myself to learn he chose to give the film a different title just a few months ago, specifically placing Alien in such prominence. I'm assuming ATM, the story is still taking place 10 years after the events in Prometheus. I can only agree that Blomkamp's vision of a proper sequel to Alien has probably led to many late night discussions between Ridley and company about both films. Ridley certainly has enough clout to derail Blomkamp's project but wouldn't that be unethical
    No that long ago he said there will be no alien cretures in it and he spoke with such conviction about it. Sure, every director has the right to change his mind, it's his film afterall. But all of this seems so much like milking this story. Then he said that there will be the alien creature in it and the last I read he said that all kinds of aliens creatures will be there. I have no problem with that. It just seems there's so much going on behind the scenes...I read an interview with Michael Biehn where he said that most of these films is all about money, nothing else. He said the Blomkamp's film could be fine (as he is rumored to be in it), but there could be more films that follow.

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    I guess it was NASA duct tape that saved his one of many lives up there.
    If you're questioning the power of duct tape, you clearly haven't used it much

I thought The Martian was pretty cool. Yeah the ending was cliched and safe, but so what? Me, I don't mind a simple ending once in a while where I don't have a million questions.

As far as being Oscar nominated? There's something that I couldn't give a shit about. Most of the movies nominated each year bore me to tears. Just to give you an idea of my movie watching preferences...the only one nominated this year I would consider watching multiple times is Mad Max Fury Road and I'm damn proud of it!
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Quote Originally Posted by tom unbound View Post
    Absolutely amazing film style. (Story pretty good too.)

The only way to see this film is in theaters, preferably 70 mm or IMAX .

It is true eye candy. (This is not a joke post)
    Saw this last night. Agree. An amazing movie, and Dicaprio's, and Hardy's, best IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."

Speaking of Alien, did anyone see Alien vs. Predator? I was surprised. It wasn't a bad movie. I'd give it a B-. Not a glowing recommendation, no, but it's worth watching on a weekend afternoon if you'd rather stay inside instead of shoveling the snow.

it certainly made the Portal games more entertaining. the script for Portal was top notch and the voice actress for GLaDOS was incredible. although the dialogue in Portal 2 wasn't as clever, it was still quite good. the additions of Wheatley and Cave Johnson added some depth and pretty funny moments. I've got the scripts from both. a favorite is too hard to pick but there are some good ones!
    I forgot about Cave Johnson. Yeah, a lot of his "prerecorded" messages were hilarious.

The actress who voiced GLaDOS was Ellen McLain. I saw that they used her again in Portal 2 but I thought she sounded a little different; I think they might have used her natural voice which I didn't like quite as much. She sounded more AI in the first one.

when I saw the recent trailer for The Astonishing, the first thing I thought of was Wheatley and 343 Guilty Spark.
    Well, the second time GLaDOS make a humorous comment, I thought of her as a 2nd generation Hal.
    Question: does GLaDOS predate 343GS or is it the other way around? (I'm unfamiliar with Halo)

BTW, check out my coffee mug:

That's the Curiosity Core from the end of the game. Can't remember where I got it, tho.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I had to look up GLaDOS, I guess I should get Portal at some stage.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Saw Sicario last night. Good movie.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    Speaking of Alien, did anyone see Alien vs. Predator? I was surprised. It wasn't a bad movie. I'd give it a B-. Not a glowing recommendation, no, but it's worth watching on a weekend afternoon if you'd rather stay inside instead of shoveling the snow.

I forgot about Cave Johnson. Yeah, a lot of his "prerecorded" messages were hilarious.

The actress who voiced GLaDOS was Ellen McLain. I saw that they used her again in Portal 2 but I thought she sounded a little different; I think they might have used her natural voice which I didn't like quite as much. She sounded more AI in the first one.

Well, the second time GLaDOS make a humorous comment, I thought of her as a 2nd generation Hal.
    Question: does GLaDOS predate 343GS or is it the other way around? (I'm unfamiliar with Halo)

That's the Curiosity Core from the end of the game. Can't remember where I got it, tho.
    Alien Vs Predator is allright. I like it better than Alien 3 and Alien Resurrection. It's not as good as Predator 2 and is on par with Predators. It's just a shame that there was an Alien sequel in the works which would have seen Scott and Cameron work together, but the studio prefered this crossover. There is some nonsense in it like the flashbacks of predators coming to Earth to rule the world, the facehuggers slow motion jumps etc. But I like that cast better than that of Prometheus. Give me Sanaa Lathan over Noomi Rapace any day. And Lance Henriksen is a huge bonus. Not as good as Alien, Aliens or Predator, not even close, but it's fine.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    I had to look up GLaDOS, I guess I should get Portal at some stage.
    FUN game! It looks and acts like a FPS but it's not; there's no one else to shoot. It also requires a lot of problem solving and can be very challenging. And, as you can see by our comments, is often funny. One of my favorite games.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Over the top? Sure. Comedic? No, not really.
    Totally agree.
    The Martian won a golden globe for best comedy/musical.

I am not alone!
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

343 Guilty Spark appeared in all 3 of the Halo Trilogy games. 343 is the AI Forerunner Monitor of Installation 04 in Halo Combat Evolved (2001). John-117 (Master Chief) first encounters 343 in the 6th level also named 343 Guilty Spark. 343 is reunited with John-117 as an ally mid game in Halo 3 but turns against him in the last level. Seargent Johnson destroys it with a Spartan Laser. Johnson also refers to 343 as Tinker Bell and light bulb.

a little trivia....343 Guilty Spark bears the Marathon logo in Halo CE and Halo 3. remember that Macintosh game from Bungie? Microsoft named it's development studio after 343 when they dissolved their partnership with Bungie. Bungie also pays homage to 2001: A Space Odyssey with 343 Guilty Spark. it's single round eye is a direct reference to HAL 9000.

Wheatley of course was first introduced in Portal 2 (2011) as one of the personality cores of GLaDOS. also known as the Intelligence Dampening Sphere, Wheatley was "the product of the greatest minds of a generation working together with the express purpose of building the dumbest moron who ever lived" according to GLaDOS. I think there was about a dozen total. love the cup....that's awesome.
    i.ain't.dead.irock

I saw The Martian last night. Thought it was great, but I like space operas.
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Let Us Prey

Nothing groundbreaking and original here, but pretty damn cool! Great eerie atmosphere and I loved the throwback to 80's thriller score I've seen it perfectly described as "the demonic version of Carpenter's Assault on Precinct 13" My only beef was the ending kind of got away from itself, but overall this was a nice little surprise in the horror/thriller department.

7 out of 10 Liam Cunningham is awesomes
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Wheatley of course was first introduced in Portal 2 (2011) as one of the personality cores of GLaDOS
    I don't remember him being an actual core but I'll take your word for it. I liked Wheatley but I liked Stephen Merchant's performance as Wheatley more than Wheatley himself. Does that make sense? I also really liked the way they animated him; it added to his personality.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Saw The Big Short tonight. Good, interesting film. Well directed and I thought Steve Carell was excellent, although it's Christian Bale who is up for the Oscar.
    The problem with The Big Short is that nobody understands derivatives and Collateralized Debt Obligations, and to try to explain them to a general movie-going audience (even with an actress in a bubble bath) is impossible. The moral ambiguity of betting against the housing sector, and thus the whole American economy -- and then BEING BAILED OUT BY TAXPAYERS when these bets come due -- should have been more emphasized. The book, as usual, was better.

And the movie makers shied away from the one important take away they should have used the film to drive home. That being, Bernanke and Greenspan, being ex-Goldman Sachs, used the Bush economic collapse to force Lehman Brothers and Bear Stearns out of business while simultaneously engineering a taxpayer bailout for Goldman and AIG, such that Goldman actually profited from the collapse. These crimes have so far gone unpunished.

FUN game! It looks and acts like a FPS but it's not; there's no one else to shoot. It also requires a lot of problem solving and can be very challenging. And, as you can see by our comments, is often funny. One of my favorite games.
    heh... I haven't played video games since I used to go to arcades in the early 80s
    but this thing sounds interesting since it's not a mindless shoot-em-up/US military training console like every single video game I've seen or heard of these days

what exactly does one do to win Portal?
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    heh... I haven't played video games since I used to go to arcades in the early 80s
    but this thing sounds interesting since it's not a mindless shoot-em-up/US military training console like every single video game I've seen or heard of these days

what exactly does one do to win Portal?
    sorry guys, I know this a movie thread. I'll answer MT and leave it there.

MT, Portal is a unique take on solving puzzles. it's design and game play is simple enough that anyone can at least get started right out of the box. the beginning is basically a tutorial on using portals to advance from one test chamber to the next. you get a portal gun early in the game that creates orange portals on most surfaces. the portal can either be an exit or entrance. a little later you add a blue one to the gun as well. the importance of two distinct colors becomes apparent very quickly. solving the puzzles/test chambers using the portals and some objects you're able to pick up and place elsewhere is the core of the game. it's never too overwhelming unless you overthink it. sometimes, the answer is so obvious that you might slap yourself in disbelief. other times, you have no fuckin' idea whatsoever on how to proceed. plenty of mind bending wtf moments. GLaDOS is a super computer which leads you (the test subject) through the testing facility via audio messages. the puzzles alone are good enough by themselves. the dark and witty dialogue of GLaDOS is what really makes the game stand out though. "she" isn't your friend and the intention is clear that you're not supposed to make it through alive. there's a few other obstacles to get around like the turrets which have unlimited ammo or lasers, deadly accuracy and fire on sight but have a weakness of tipping over easily. quite a few are voiced over by the same woman who does GLaDOS. they're pretty hilarious at times. combined with the unique game play, it's very entertaining but kinda short. that would be my only complaint. Portal 2 makes up for that. Portal was originally only available as part of The Orange Box but you can get it as a stand alone now for about ten bucks from Steam.

cheers
    Last edited by proggosaurus; 01-19-2016 at 09:52 PM.
    i.ain't.dead.irock

I just saw the movie "Creed." It was good but it was basically a re-write of the first Rocky film.

movie related...Dan Trachtenberg, the director for JJ Abrams upcoming 10 Cloverfield Lane first got everyone's attention with a live action short film based on the Attachment 6651 game Portal. it's actually pretty awesome!

Portal: No Escape (Live Action Short Film by Dan Trachtenberg)

on an interesting note, JJ was tapped in 2013 in joining Valve co-founder Gabe Newell with the possibility of turning Portal into a full fledged movie. that might be where this is heading after 2 years of silence
    Last edited by proggosaurus; 01-19-2016 at 11:40 PM.
    i.ain't.dead.irock

movie related...Dan Trachtenberg, the director for JJ Abrams upcoming 10 Cloverfield Lane first got everyone's attention with a live action short film based on the Attachment 6651 game Portal. it's actually pretty awesome!

Portal: No Escape (Live Action Short Film by Dan Trachtenberg)

on an interesting note, JJ was tapped in 2013 in joining Valve co-founder Gabe Newell with the possibility of turning Portal into a full fledged movie. that might be where this is heading after 2 years of silence
    that was a cool short

I'm gonna hafta investigate this game further, thanx for the detailed description gosaur
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Sleeping With Other People, an R rated rom-com of sorts. Stars Jason Sudeikis ,who does well as the central character, and Alison Brie as serial relationship cheaters who become supportive platonic friends. Nothing new here, you know where its going , but an acceptable way to spend some time in front of the TV. A not bad 6.5 of 10.

I've never played Portal, but that was pretty damn cool.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

We need a gaming thread.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Watched the Bob Weir documentary "The Other One" on Netflix. I am not a big Dead fan, but I enjoyed the film a lot.