Page 101 of 316 FirstFirst ... 5191979899100101102103104105111151201 ... LastLast
Results 2,501 to 2,525 of 7893

Thread: Movies - where we can talk about movies

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Elysium - Really creative science fiction with class conflict and a dystopian future.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Elysium - Really creative science fiction with class conflict and a dystopian future.
    Sorry, but I did not like that film. Not only did I find it fairly cliché, but what was up with that surgically implanted suit that was supposed give Matt Damen super powers?! Hell, he was twice as much of a badass in the Bourne movies without the suit! And though I'm sure Jodi Foster is perfectly capable of playing a bad guy, it didn't work in this one; possibly her worst performance I've seen. I saw it because it was the same director who did "District 9," but IMO, it wasn't in the same class as that one. The best part about it was Sharlto Copely, who was the hero in District 9 and the villain in this one; that guy's a great actor! I didn't hate this film, but it wasn't one of the better sci-fis I've seen in recent memory.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Ender's Game - a decent sci-fi movie about a gifted kid tasked with defeating a planet full of aliens who had once tried to colonize Earth. I did not read the book by Orson Scott Card. I have read one or two of his novels, but did not want to get involved in the series of Ender books.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Watched Hector and the Search for Happiness. Great movie. Not what I was expecting, because it's not like most movies I have seen. It's better.
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Birdman--fairly creative and arty film with Michael Keaton among others. It was unusual, but I think once was enough for me.

I saw Furious 7 last night in the theater. Very good and action packed. It had some of the most amazing and unbelievable scenes and stunts I've ever seen in a movie. I doubt they will do another sequel but apparently they aren't ruling it out.

Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    My favorite film of the past 6 months:

Project Almanac - at first the 'found footage' irritated me, but it got more and more interesting as it went.
    I saw that in the theater in a couple of months ago I guess it was. I really didn't care for it for the most part. It was rather amateurish and way too convoluted. I don't think it was horrible but it seems like it was deliberately made for a 15 year old.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    I saw Furious 7 last night in the theater. Very good and action packed. It had some of the most amazing and unbelievable scenes and stunts I've ever seen in a movie.
    LOL. I saw that in the theater on Saturday. Films 5/6/7 rebranded what (IMO) had been a thoroughly mediocre franchise about cars into "bad-in-a-good-way" Michael Bay-styled action ridiculousness, in which cars don't have to be just cars: they can also be missiles, airplanes, tanks, flotation devices, etc., and mundane concerns such as gravity, inertia and other basic laws of physics can largely be dispensed with. There's not much upstairs, but it does have heart (and flying cars).

Why not keep making more?

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    Sorry, but I did not like that film. Not only did I find it fairly cliché, but what was up with that surgically implanted suit that was supposed give Matt Damen super powers?! Hell, he was twice as much of a badass in the Bourne movies without the suit! And though I'm sure Jodi Foster is perfectly capable of playing a bad guy, it didn't work in this one; possibly her worst performance I've seen. I saw it because it was the same director who did "District 9," but IMO, it wasn't in the same class as that one. The best part about it was Sharlto Copely, who was the hero in District 9 and the villain in this one; that guy's a great actor! I didn't hate this film, but it wasn't one of the better sci-fis I've seen in recent memory.
    I'd agree it didn't stand up to D9, though it was by no means a bad film..but he's back on form with Chappie, I think and is now thinking about a new Alien film that picks up where Cameron's left off...So more tangential than sequential...Sigourney Weaver is apparently interested, so we'll see; but his involvement at the very least has caught my attention....

PE Member Since 4/9/2002 NeonKnight's Avatar
    Watched The Godfather Part II for the 99th time, and it seems like I learn something new every time.

This time I finally realized that Johnny Ola = Uncle Junior!
    “Where words fail, music speaks.” - Hans Christian Anderson

BULLITT (1968)

For the 100th time.

Bullitt is my 3am movie!
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Furious 7 - There was nothing else a the theater. Still, it was a decent action flick - hard to believe I said it.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    How is the remake of 12 Monkeys? Heard someone raving about it yesterday, saying it's better than Gilliam's movie. I actually don't remember the original all that well.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    How is the remake of 12 Monkeys? Heard someone raving about it yesterday, saying it's better than Gilliam's movie. I actually don't remember the original all that well.
    I do, it's great! I'd be very surprised if a remake could outdo it.

BTW, it's now a television series too, but I've never seen it.

Gilliam's 12 Monkeys should not be redone
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Agreed
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Apparently they are remaking Rocky Horror, I anticipate a disaster.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Can't be any worse than Shock Treatment...
    -=Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?=-

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post

Isn't the TV show the "remake"?

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Yeah, I too am shivering with antici-
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

We saw "True Story" tonight at the theater. Overall I thought it was good. Dragged a bit in spots, but a 4 out of 5 stars for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe F. View Post
    Isn't the TV show the "remake"?
    Could very well be, but you should pose that question to the evolved orangutan.

For those who enjoy a good future Oscar nominee, the trailer for "The Human Centipede 3" is now available.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Watching Caroline Munro's cleavage in The Golden Voyage of Sinbad. Spectacular.

Recent viewings:

Interstellar - A bit long, but I love space operas. Watched it twice.

Imitation Game - excellent.