Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: At what age did start listening to cool music...

What constitutes "cool" music for me changes all the time

Quote Originally Posted by WytchCrypt View Post
    ^ I love FZ but have little interest in his mid 70's radio friendly things like Yellow Snow.
    Yup, but that's how I got to know about Zappa's better stuff (Hot Rats & stuff), through the bobby Brown Dancing Fool stuff...

Quote Originally Posted by davis View Post
    and like with Jeff Beck, I dig just about everything in his catalog, but not so much 'Wired' or 'Blow By Blow'.
    Yup, those two are highly flawed, but still very worthy... Until T&B included, Beck's stuff is OK at worse, terrific at best...

I'm thinking of seeing him in concert next Monday

Quote Originally Posted by klothos View Post
    What constitutes "cool" music for me changes all the time
    Cool music is what I listened to back then and made me feel superior to the HS football team stars (though I was a LB myself) and that I stilll love today
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I guess when I was REAL young, Tom Jones & Engelbert Humperdink..Now there were 2 cool dudes...!! Prog? When I was browsing around Sam Goody at the mall, saw Nektar's Remember The Future in one of the displays..The rest is musical listening history.

Suspended
    Oh no! Before you throw in the FZ towel I'll make one final desperate recommendation. Studio Tan. )
    Yeah, they played RDNZL.

I'm not sure why people have such a problem accepting that people have different tastes, and attempt to explain it by saying I just haven't heard the right examples of this person's work yet. Two hours of Zappa, with examples from all periods of his career - I think that's enough for me to judge whether or not I am a Zappa fan or am ever likely to become one. Another 50 hours MIGHT convince me otherwise, but the chances of that happening are incredibly minuscule. Meanwhile there is a universe of other music out there for me to discover.

Thanks anyway for trying.

^ yes, thank you. This is exactly how I feel about people who try to convert me into a Beatles fan.

Well the last way to convert someone is to try to force them to like something they don't.
    <sig out of order>

I tried and tried with Zappa - never worked for me. You are not alone.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Depends what you call cool, by my wifes estimations I've never liked cool music.

When I was 14 in 1978 I started getting in "Heavy Metal" with bands like Iron Maiden, Motorhead, Rainbow, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, I also started getting into bands like Supertramp, Jean Michel Jarre, Mike Oldfield & Hawkwind.
    When I was 18 at college a friend introduced me to King Crimson, Gong, Caravan & the like.
    In the last ten years through my 40's my tastes have turned to more Avant, Kraut, Fusion & Electronic with bands like Univers Zero, Henry Cow, CAN, Amon Duul II, Tangerine Dream, etc.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    ^ yes, thank you. This is exactly how I feel about people who try to convert me into a Beatles fan.
    The difference with the Beatles is that it's pretty difficult NOT to have heard nearly all their songs at one time or another. If you say you're not impressed with the Beatles, it's pretty hard for your friend to say "Ah but have you heard this album?" or "Oh, you're not listening to Rubber Soul in the right way and appreciating the nuances." or "Check out this track, I bet you'll like this." Most people should by now have an opinion formed of the Beatles, one way or the other.

The Beach Boys & The Beatles in 1964 (age 10).

Quote Originally Posted by davis View Post
    I consider FZ a musical genius, but his work is hit and miss for me. I prefer it w/o vocals, yet I think 'Freak-Out' is a brilliant debut, and I can't get excited about 'Hot Rats'; and like with Jeff Beck, I dig just about everything in his catalog, but not so much 'Wired' or 'Blow By Blow'.
    I don't know about "genius," but his work is hit-or-miss. But, then again, that's what CD "burners" are for.

Re: Beck, for me it's the Yardbirds, Truth, Beck-Ola, and Rough & Ready.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    The difference with the Beatles is that it's pretty difficult NOT to have heard nearly all their songs at one time or another. If you say you're not impressed with the Beatles, it's pretty hard for your friend to say "Ah but have you heard this album?" or "Oh, you're not listening to Rubber Soul in the right way and appreciating the nuances." or "Check out this track, I bet you'll like this." Most people should by now have an opinion formed of the Beatles, one way or the other.
    Not for me. Just like Zappa, I had to actively seek out Beatles music to hear it. I liked Zappa instantly, but I struggle with the Beatles. The point is, I find it frustrating when everyone tries to convert me (which is probably part of the reason why you struggle with Zappa).

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    Yeah, they played RDNZL.

I'm not sure why people have such a problem accepting that people have different tastes, and attempt to explain it by saying I just haven't heard the right examples of this person's work yet. Two hours of Zappa, with examples from all periods of his career - I think that's enough for me to judge whether or not I am a Zappa fan or am ever likely to become one. Another 50 hours MIGHT convince me otherwise, but the chances of that happening are incredibly minuscule. Meanwhile there is a universe of other music out there for me to discover.

Thanks anyway for trying.
    You're welcome, but don't misunderstand my intentions. I don't have "a problem accepting that people have different tastes" in this case specifically whether you like FZ or not, I was just trying to be helpful and suggest something I thought you might like
    Check out my solo project prog band, Mutiny in Jonestown at https://mutinyinjonestown.bandcamp.com/

Check out my solo project progressive doom metal band, WytchCrypt at https://wytchcrypt.bandcamp.com/

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Depends what you call cool, by my wifes estimations I've never liked cool music.
    I'd answer that "I probably don't like cool women (or women with cool cultural tastes) either, that's why I'm with you"

make or break...
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    That probably wouldn't go so well.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

When I was 7, I received a little red transistor radio for Christmas. Since I consider, to one degree or another, all music to be cool, I'll go with 7.
    "The Bill of Rights says nothing about the freedom of hearing. This, of course, takes a lot of the fun out of the freedom of speech." - Pat Paulsen

My Art- http://www.facebook.com/williamallenrenfro -My Life

I've never been cool. Not even close to it. Therefore, anything I listened to automatically becomes uncool, even if it's cool.

I've tried to get into Zappa but it just doesn't work for me. I mean, I've only owned two Zappa records and don't have any recollection of hearing anything besides those two albums. I haven't heard enough to make up my mind but what I have heard leaves me rolling my eyes and thinking....."all this fuss over a jazz album? There's plenty of other jazz groups I'd rather listen to." And mixed in with all this jazz is all this comedy, doo wop stuff. I'm sure if I heard every single album by Zappa there's a lot I'd probably like but I just don't feel like investing that kind of money just to see "if" I'm gonna like something.

Suspended
    You're welcome, but don't misunderstand my intentions. I don't have "a problem accepting that people have different tastes" in this case specifically whether you like FZ or not, I was just trying to be helpful and suggest something I thought you might like
    I know you were.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Good question. It kind of took me a long ass time. Here's a timeline:

Lots of Beatles from about 8 years on, but that's a gateway drug and I don't really count it.

Bought Zep's ZOSO about age 14. Probably into Tommy around then too.

Summer 1981 - introduced to Duke and DSOTM. I'd say DSOTM clinched it. Audio bliss.

Fall 1981 - first semester of college, starting with The Lamb and 2112. Pretty much a prog snob from here on... LOL

Raised on cool music (uhhum!), there's a story about me shaking the crib, crying "the B's the B's!" (Beatles). Remember songs on the radio all growing up, first AM in the car, then FM on a big old console. Bought my first album at age 10, Yes Fragile. By the 7th grade, music was regular playground discussion.
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

When I left home at 23 & didn't have to listen to the jazz shite my parents played!!!

I had two older brothers that got into hard Rock/Progressive back in about 71. Probably the first really cool music I heard was Led Zeppelin II. They liked to crank up Whole Lotta Love and lay on the floor with their head between the speakers.This was about the same time WRAS (GA State University station) came on the air. I belive I received my first portable radio in 72. It was on WRAS most of the time I owned it for about 10 years.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    I'll let you know as soon as I start

Quote Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
    I had two older brothers that got into hard Rock/Progressive back in about 71.
    That's the amazing thing about my own precocity...
    Didn't have an older brother to introduce me to "cool muze"...
    But one of my best buddy (also no older sibbling) and I had an amazing emulating relationship.
    Not that we had really close musical tastes (we did, but not that much), but we explored musical avenues often together without consulting each other...
    We'd always end up amazed that we' had explored Savoy Brown or Robin Trower simultaneously the previous week or so.

That is , until he turned "pop" to get the chicks (I must say he scored fairly frequently) around grade 11... He also went from collecting C grades to A- at the same time