Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast

Thread: ALLAN HOLDSWORTH NEWS (!!)

^^LOL
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    This CD/DVD was supposed to be delivered by Amazon today. Not sure what to make of the fact that Amazon mistakenly sent me some pillow covers instead!
    Are they Holdsworth pillow covers?

Great timing: yesterday I received both Leverkusen 2010 and Allan's Legacy: The Nineteen Men Of Tain- A Tribute To Allan Holdsworth.

I just got the Manifesto Flat Tire CD. The only Holdsworth studio release I hadn't heard before. It sounds amazing and these pieces by Allan are beautiful!

Haven't heard this one before.

Allan appears on 2 discs of this box set.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Boceephus View Post

Allan appears on 2 discs of this box set.

Thanks for that information.
    Too bad it's not possible to buy individual cds... A 13 disc set is a pretty big commitment for really only wanting the Holdsworth tunes!
    Have you had a chance to listen to it? What are your thoughts? If I were to get this one, I'd need to like more than 6 tracks or so!
    Thanks!

Honestly, I haven’t had the time to listen to it. Allan’s only on 6 tracks. I’m a bit of an AH completist.

I listened to the whole thing. I like it a lot, but I'm a Nucleus near-completist. (Haven't gotten my hands on some OOP vinyl-only releases.)

Quote Originally Posted by Boceephus View Post
    Honestly, I haven’t had the time to listen to it. Allan’s only on 6 tracks. I’m a bit of an AH completist.

Thanks.
    I'm a completist as well, but this is a lot of music for 6 tracks. I guess I was hoping to like/be interested in some of the rest of it.
    (I do have Belladonna - I hardly ever play it.)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    I listened to the whole thing. I like it a lot, but I'm a Nucleus near-completist. (Haven't gotten my hands on some OOP vinyl-only releases.)
    Thanks!

If you don't already have and like all or most of Nucleus' albums, I would not recommend the box.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    If you don't already have and like all or most of Nucleus' albums, I would not recommend the box.
    Thank you for the advice.

A friend gave me the link to this nice video on Allan's early live including the making of I.O.U.:

And Manifesto will release another DVD/CD in July: Allan Holdsworth/Jarasum Jazz Festival 2014 ....CD + DVD $19.99
    http://www.artist-shop.com/comingsoon/index.htm

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    A friend gave me the link to this nice video on Allan's early live including the making of I.O.U.:

And Manifesto will release another DVD/CD in July: Allan Holdsworth/Jarasum Jazz Festival 2014 ....CD + DVD $19.99
    Thanks for posting the video and the heads-up on the July release!

Recent interview about the work of Holdsworth:

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    This is now on Spotify (released early?).

It’s on Apple Music too. [emoji3]

I am listening to the new Jarasum 2014 disc. I don't think the performance was quite as good as the shows from the other five Manifesto archival live shows, but I am still enjoying it quite a bit.

This series has increased my appreciation of Holdsworth's entire discography. I find myself reaching for them often.

Finally hearing these releases properly mixed and mastered have been a treasure. I can’t wait to hear what’s next.

Quote Originally Posted by Wah3 View Post
    Anyone know of a live DVD that has The Un-Merry-Go-Round? The one time I saw it the power at the venue cut out in the middle, spoiled it!
    Just noticed the new CD/DVD has part 5 of The Un-Merry-Go-Round: https://manifesto.com/2022/04/14/jar...ing-out-may-6/
    Although the set is out already, shipping to Europe seems to hold it back: releasedate here 24-6-2022

More AH-news: Eclectic Recordings is releasing another version of Soft Machine's Bundles, this time with an extra disk containing a live-recording. But.... this concert is from October 1975 and at that time Holdsworth played in the Tony Williams New Lifetime.
    So I guess John Etheridge is on this one.
    https://burningshed.com/genres/Cante...ne_bundles_2cd

A remastered and expanded double CD edition of Soft Machine's 1975 album Bundles.

The band’s first for EMI’s Harvest, it featured Mike Ratledge, Karl Jenkins, John Marshall, Roy Babbington and guitar virtuoso Allan Holdsworth.

An accessible collection showcasing Holdsworth’s phenomenal talents, Bundles opened a new chapter for the band and attracted great praise (especially for the five-part Hazard Profile).

The second disc features a concert at Nottingham University from 11th October 1975 and features much of the material featured on the album, along with early renditions of some pieces soon ro be recorded for the band’s 1976 release Softs.

The show mentioned above ^^ was released on CD in 2005 by Major League Productions as British Tour '75.

The show mentioned above ^^ was released on CD in 2005 by Major League Productions as British Tour '75.
    The MLP release may or may not be in print:
    http://mlplive.com/mlplivemay2017_031.htm
    Their "Shop" is just a static image of their catalog from 5 years ago, with no way to actually do anything on the site.

It's a great live album, even for Holdsworth fans.

Yeah, though I must say I'm not a fan of the mastering on the MLP CDs I've got (three - Gong, Nucleus '76 and the Soft Machine). But not sure if bad enough to encourage me to cough up for this new double-disc set. Esoteric's existing Bundles remaster is certainly fine enough to my ears, and while I'll bet the second disc sounds better than the MLP master, I'm just not sure I'm that pushed. But if you don't have the MLP release, I'd recommend this as it's a great show and Etheridge is absolutely on fire...far better than on Alive and Well in Paris, IMHO.
    John Kelman
    Senior Contributor, All About Jazz since 2004
    Freelance writer/photographer