Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112

Thread: YES - "Talk" their most overlooked album? Anderson and Rabin think so.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    One of their most underrated albums imo.
    Lots of people say it's an underrated album. This demonstrates that it is not underrated. Plenty of people rate it.
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

I rate it. Some very good material. Shame that production is way too sterile.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    Lots of people say it's an underrated album. This demonstrates that it is not underrated. Plenty of people rate it.
    The album sold poorly. The tour was not well attended. The editors of Yes Magazine published an editorial calling for Trevor Rabin’s ouster and the return of Steve Howe and Rick Wakeman. Then Rabin did leave and didn’t put out a non-soundtrack album for 17 years and didn’t put out a record where he sang for 29 years. Would that have been his career path if Talk had been a success?

I know I was seriously bummed when I found out Rabin was gone from Yes, even more bummed when I found out that the new music from the Classic Lineup was going to be, essentially, an EP attached to a live album and more bummed still when I actually heard “Be The One” and “That That Is” for the first time. I still think Talk crushes both of those tracks.

So yeah I think “underrated” is a fair label for Talk. Of course I think Big Generator is underrated too, but it was a platinum seller. All of the YesWest music feels underrated to me now given that Steve Howe has been the primary guitarist since 1996 in his second stint with the band and he is not a fan. That music doesn’t get played live except for occasional grudging performances of “Owner…” and “Rhythm…”.

Even ARW played less YesWest than I would have preferred. Will Anderson/Geeks play any YesWest beyond the two tracks I mentioned above? I doubt it.
    "It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters

Quote Originally Posted by Frumious B View Post
    The album sold poorly. The tour was not well attended. The editors of Yes Magazine published an editorial calling for Trevor Rabin’s ouster and the return of Steve Howe and Rick Wakeman. Then Rabin did leave and didn’t put out a non-soundtrack album for 17 years and didn’t put out a record where he sang for 29 years. Would that have been his career path if Talk had been a success?

I know I was seriously bummed when I found out Rabin was gone from Yes, even more bummed when I found out that the new music from the Classic Lineup was going to be, essentially, an EP attached to a live album and more bummed still when I actually heard “Be The One” and “That That Is” for the first time. I still think Talk crushes both of those tracks.

So yeah I think “underrated” is a fair label for Talk. Of course I think Big Generator is underrated too, but it was a platinum seller. All of the YesWest music feels underrated to me now given that Steve Howe has been the primary guitarist since 1996 in his second stint with the band and he is not a fan. That music doesn’t get played live except for occasional grudging performances of “Owner…” and “Rhythm…”.

Even ARW played less YesWest than I would have preferred. Will Anderson/Geeks play any YesWest beyond the two tracks I mentioned above? I doubt it.
    Opinions on albums change over time. Talk may have been underrated at the time, but it clearly has plenty of fans these days, whereas Big Generator today is definitely underrated.
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

I'm afraid I'll never be convinced that Talk is any kind of lost classic. Of their 90s albums, it's obviously better than Open Your Eyes...but that's as far as I'll go. That middle part of the album- 'State Of Play'/'Walls'/'Where Will You Be' is awful IMHO. And I don't love 'Endless Dream' either.

I do like the first few songs. But even then, I think its style was probably some years out of date by the time it was released. So its commercial performance doesn't seem unjust to me.

All that said, it's good that it's being made available again I guess.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I agree with Progaton's original assessment. Talk is my favourite Rabin era release. It's definitely not at the bottom of Yes' catalog. I've always been a fan of Endless Dream. I think I'll put this out today for a fresh listen.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Anyone who says they like Talk is clearly a liar whose opinions on music simply cannot be trusted.

I like Talk
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Debates, discussions
    These are words with a D this time
    Dialog, duologue, diatribe
    Dissention, declamation
    Double talk, double talk

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    I'm afraid I'll never be convinced that Talk is any kind of lost classic. Of their 90s albums, it's obviously better than Open Your Eyes...but that's as far as I'll go. That middle part of the album- 'State Of Play'/'Walls'/'Where Will You Be' is awful IMHO. And I don't love 'Endless Dream' either.

I do like the first few songs. But even then, I think its style was probably some years out of date by the time it was released. So its commercial performance doesn't seem unjust to me.

All that said, it's good that it's being made available again I guess.
    I have to agree, I'd much rather listen to Open Your Eyes, Union or Heaven & Earth than Talk, even 90125 or BG are not quite as bad, it is without doubt the bottom of the barrel for me. Just MY opinion of course.

Love Talk, for me the last great YES album. Still regularly spin the Rabin albums but anything post that are not good albums, period!

This box is an absolute rip-off considering it's mostly offering things that we've already had for years. The 2 additional things are novelties at the very best only worth hearing once. Buyer beware.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    This box is an absolute rip-off considering it's mostly offering things that we've already had for years. The 2 additional things are novelties at the very best only worth hearing once. Buyer beware.
    Without going even going into a ton of detail can you listen to the first minute of “The Calling” from the new reissue and then again from whatever previous CD of Talk you happen to have. Is the new one louder sounding, softer sounding or about the same? I’m just wondering about compression or lack thereof and whether or not they had access to the masters for Talk.

To my ears Talk is a very solid 1980s AOR album that came out about 7-8 years too late. Had Talk come out in 1985 or 86 I think it would have proven to be a much more commercially successful follow-up to 90125 than BG was.

Production by Trevor Horn would have been a further plus. As it stands when I occasionally want my fill of Talk I listen to the Canandaigua ROIO that will come out as a part of the box.

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    To my ears Talk is a very solid 1980s AOR album that came out about 7-8 years too late. Had Talk come out in 1985 or 86 I think it would have proven to be a much more commercially successful follow-up to 90125 than BG was.

Production by Trevor Horn would have been a further plus. As it stands when I occasionally want my fill of Talk I listen to the Canandaigua ROIO that will come out as a part of the box.

I adore the three Rabin-era albums. The Big Generator is my favorite. That said, I agree that Talk would have benefitted from riding the coattails of 90125.

Quote Originally Posted by Frumious B View Post
    Without going even going into a ton of detail can you listen to the first minute of “The Calling” from the new reissue and then again from whatever previous CD of Talk you happen to have. Is the new one louder sounding, softer sounding or about the same? I’m just wondering about compression or lack thereof and whether or not they had access to the masters for Talk.
    I couldn't really tell a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    I couldn't really tell a difference.
    Ok. Good to know. So it seems like any audio differences for the main album are subtle, not revelatory and we still can’t rule out that they used a CD as their source.

Wasn't this a digital recording anyway? As such it's not an album which I think would benefit from a 'remaster'.

I dunno—Andy Pearce has done some great and very dynamic remasters in the past. I wouldn’t be surprised if this turns out to sound a lot better than original releases. I’m pretty excited to hear it!