Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: When <blank> comes on the radio, I change the channel

To clarify my previous post....when I/we aren't listening to cds in the car, we're listening to either Deep Tracks or Real Jazz on Sirius XM. Deep Tracks on occasion will play something that falls into what I mentioned in post #7.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Rap/hip hop/most stuff that passes for pop these days; Bieber, Maria Carey, etc.
    I used to (in 1968-1970) turn off the radio whenever a bubble gum song started (1-2-3 Red Light, Simon Says, Quick Joey Small, etc.). Now that I like the stuff, no one is playing it.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

The antenna isn't even connected to my aftermarket car stereo. There's a jack/plug mismatch and I didn't bother to buy an adapter. I only listen to mp3s from an SD card while on the road.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by PotatoSolution View Post
    I think Bob Dylan rapping would cause my internal organs to melt.

What am I wiping up off the floor? Nothing, mom...just some potato solution...

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Now if I could only change the channel on my neighbor's radio...

My list is identical to the OP.

I've been trying like crazy to give the Rolling Stones a fair shake. Such a huge proportion of my musical heroes found them a significant force in their development. But so far, no go.

I use my iPhone to listen to stations all over the world, or Pandora which plays only music I have approved. I guess my answer to the original post would be "ads" -- if a radio station plays an advertisement they go off immediately. Life's too short.

Led Zeppelin. I could happily live without ever hearing them again. Unfortunately, that is impossible. Just can't get away from this crappy band.

Quote Originally Posted by undergroundrailroad View Post
    My list is identical to the OP.

I've been trying like crazy to give the Rolling Stones a fair shake. Such a huge proportion of my musical heroes found them a significant force in their development. But so far, no go.
    Me too! They appeal to such a large audience and are frequently praised to high heaven, even now when they're all in their 70s, but I just can't seem to develop a taste for their music.

Many co-workers and friends will was poetically about the time they saw the Stones live, etc. and I always just want to add that to me their music sounds like the ass end of a flatulent rhino.
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

Easy!

Bob Dylan
    Bruce Springsteen
    Tom Petty
    Elvis Presley (post-army)

oh, and fucking Coldplay!
    What if the Hokey Cokey really IS what it's all about?

This thread: sponsored by 1988.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    What is this 'radio' you speak of? Some archaic form of entertainment?
    I have one, I use it for a paper weight. Is this OK?
    The older I get, the better I was.

Rush.

Not that Rush. The other one.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Well, in 95% of the cazse, it's 80's pop that will make me zap or change stations ... or turn it off

Quote Originally Posted by Just Eric View Post
    Prompted by a sub-topic in the Bored with Prog and Metal thread, I thought this would be fun. There are a few bands that merit an automatic channel change whenever one of their songs comes up on the radio. For me, those are, in order of distaste and channel changing reaction time:

Rolling Stones - Jaggers voice is like fingernails on the chalkboard to me. Immediate change, even if it's to the Soft Rock station.
    Springsteen - Another voice that gets on my nerves and the music is not that special.
    Police - I heard too much in my youth, sister was a huge fan.
    U2 - Every song is exactly the same, softLOUDsoftLOUD whining!
    Bob Seger - See Springsteen above. In fact, I often have trouble telling the two apart.
    Tom Petty - Easily recognizable but dreadful nonetheless.
    MMmhhh... outside Springsteen (which is defibnitely a "zap", these artistes are on a song by song basis...

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    When radio comes on the radio...I turn it off.

Well, the only real time I do listen to the radio, is when I either have no CD to listen to in the car.... or that I'm sick of whatever CD I have in the car at the time

Quote Originally Posted by doh View Post
    I would also add Elton John and Billy Joel.
    Elton, depends on the sing... BJ, no thanks... but if I have to choose between him and anything pop of the 80's, BJ will do

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    My number 1 station-changer is The Eagles - Hotel California. Now I think these guys did some very good songs, mostly early on; I have Desperado and still consider it a classic album, an almost perfect mixture of country, folk-rock and bluegrass. I can listen to that album all day. On the other hand, if I never hear that song Hotel California again for the rest of my life, it will be too soon. I hear those opening chords, and I am out of my chair like a bolt of lightning to hit the control button.
    I'm kind sick of the Eagles, but HC still strikes the right strings with me (how many times did I score with various chicks in slows with that tune)... precisely/mainly because it doesbn't have anything country-esque to it
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Taylor Swift
    Nirvana
    Most Country
    Most modern rap/hip-hop
    Glad I'm not the only person here who doesn't 'get' Nirvana! I dug Smells Like Teen Spirit as a kid, but much like any other mediocre or better tune that's overplayed I got sick of it fast. I've never been much of a fan of any of the '90s grunge invasion, but, to my ears anyway, both Pearl Jam and Alice in Chains outshined (Soundgarden reference- another overrated flannel group) Kurt & Co by a long shot.
    Last edited by progeezer's ghost; 04-15-2014 at 06:53 PM.
    'The smell of strange colours are heard everywhere'- Threshold

Bruce Springsteen or Phil Collins
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    Rap/hip hop/most stuff that passes for pop these days; Bieber, Maria Carey, etc.
    This. I never listen to radio myself anymore, but luckily where I live all the local restaurants play rock...actually "classic" rock and I'd much rather cringe at REO Speedwagon and Steve Miller than be within a hundred miles of rap/hip hop/pop
    Check out my solo project prog band, Mutiny in Jonestown at https://mutinyinjonestown.bandcamp.com/

Check out my solo project progressive doom metal band, WytchCrypt at https://wytchcrypt.bandcamp.com/

My daughter is 12, so I get to hear my share of today's pop. A lot of it isn't that bad - at least, not to my ears. Acts like Bruno Mars, OneRepublic, The Script, and even P!nk all have some decent songs where you don't feel like you're necessarily in a drum-machine infected, auto-tune inflected dance club.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Don't listen to normal radio anymore, but if I did, these would be automatic station changers.:

Lynyrd Skynyrd
    ZZ Top

Plus some others that have already been mention like AC/DC and Springsteen.

I never listen to radio anymore unless it is for sports, but just about every band / artist mentioned in this thread are people I like.

Springsteen, always has always will. Petty is number 2. Over the years I've actually gotten to like Dylan in small doses. Their voices are rough on the ears. Really if the radio is on, it's classical , news, or sports. OK, a little classic rock every now and then too.

...the Emergency Broadcast System test tone. I hate that freaking song.

Quote Originally Posted by WytchCrypt View Post
    This. I never listen to radio myself anymore, but luckily where I live all the local restaurants play rock...actually "classic" rock and I'd much rather cringe at REO Speedwagon and Steve Miller than be within a hundred miles of rap/hip hop/pop
    Actually, I've grown used to some rap... not more than 7.5483 minutes of it at a time, but some of it is OK (I do like Eminem, for ex, even if he's "passé")

Yeah, I guess 90% of my radio listening (only in the car) is through our "classic rock ala Belgo-French sauce", but as soon as I don't like something, I zap to our jazz-classical radio (though I should write classical-jazz)

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    My daughter is 12, so I get to hear my share of today's pop. A lot of it isn't that bad - at least, not to my ears. Acts like Bruno Mars, OneRepublic, The Script, and even P!nk all have some decent songs where you don't feel like you're necessarily in a drum-machine infected, auto-tune inflected dance club.
    Vade Retro, Satanas!!!!
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I'll add
    Dave Matthews
    in addition to most of the others mentioned

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    ...the Emergency Broadcast System test tone. I hate that freaking song.
    Want to feel old?
    It hasn't been known by that name for 17 years now.
    http://www.gorman-redlich.com/Downlo...kly%20Test.mp3