Page 43 of 60 FirstFirst ... 3339404142434445464753 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,075 of 1477

Thread: Post something cool

Cool.

In the place where I worked, oh, fifteen or twenty years ago, this was regularly parked in our parking lot:

mondrian_car.jpg

mondrian.jpg
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Well, the townhall of The Hague was painted like this in 2017

Alas it was just for one year. Now it's all white again.

Interesting article with R Crumb of several cultural figures from Johnny Carson, to cartoonist, to Hefner, Dylan, etc.

Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

My new toy:
    IMG_1485.jpg
    "The Bill of Rights says nothing about the freedom of hearing. This, of course, takes a lot of the fun out of the freedom of speech." - Pat Paulsen

My Art- http://www.facebook.com/williamallenrenfro -My Life

Quote Originally Posted by Superfly View Post
    My new toy:
    IMG_1485.jpg
    Looks interesting, though I could do without the sequencer. I've Cubase for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    Looks interesting, though I could do without the sequencer. I've Cubase for that.
    I bought it for the sequencer specifically! I wanted to be able to augment my Alesis Micron and it seems perfect for that. I just do music for fun, very much like I do my art. My art studio is starting to look more like my music studio!
    "The Bill of Rights says nothing about the freedom of hearing. This, of course, takes a lot of the fun out of the freedom of speech." - Pat Paulsen

I bought it for the sequencer specifically! I wanted to be able to augment my Alesis Micron and it seems perfect for that. I just do music for fun, very much like I do my art. My art studio is starting to look more like my music studio!
    I do music for fun as well, but without Cubase I would be stuck in the mud. Besides my Arturia midi-keyboard has a sequencer as well. Part of my living-room looks like a music studio.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Quantum Cat View Post
    Beautiful pictures and a nice song, but I fail to see the connection.

I see it. Well done, whoever put that comic together with the song.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    Beautiful pictures and a nice song, but I fail to see the connection.
    Just view the whole thing again with the chorus in mid

(you don't know what's you got, until it's gone.....
    .... parking lot)

The message is not really positive, though some could see it as noltalgia.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    I see it. Well done, whoever put that comic together with the song.
    Yes, it's cool...

Though I suspect that Joni and Robert didn't work on that together.

Don't know if it's the chicken or the egg that got there first (most likely the song), but there is a missing (blatant in my eyes) dimension: the natives.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

There are about 10 different videos with different music set to the original Crumb cartoons. All of them are onYouTube. Some of them are composed specifically to match the individual panels, while others, like this one, are simply someone adding a song with a similar theme to the images. I think this is one of the more successful pairings.

Banned
    Though I suspect that Joni and Robert didn't work on that together.

Don't know if it's the chicken or the egg that got there first (most likely the song), but there is a missing (blatant in my eyes) dimension: the natives.
    Yes, Crumb and Mitchell are very unlikely collaborators, it was without a doubt the idea of a third party. Of course, Robert Crumb most famously did the album cover for Cheap Thrills in addition to other album covers. For those unfamiliar, he is a "roots" musician and aficionado of old blues, folk/Americana etc.

Great point about native Americans - that tragic loss of humanity can never be repaid or recovered. Here is one poignant Crumb drawing featuring a native.

Here are a few of my recent paintings. All are part of my "Visions of Innerspace" series and all were done with ink on hot press watercolor paper. Enjoy.

blueberries.jpg aquaflow.jpg chaos2.jpg web.jpg BW1.jpg

Here are a few of my recent paintings. All are part of my "Visions of Innerspace" series and all were done with ink on hot press watercolor paper. Enjoy.

blueberries.jpg aquaflow.jpg chaos2.jpg web.jpg BW1.jpg
    Needs a Hawkwind soundtrack!
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Yes, Crumb and Mitchell are very unlikely collaborators, it was without a doubt the idea of a third party. Of course, Robert Crumb most famously did the album cover for Cheap Thrills in addition to other album covers. For those unfamiliar, he is a "roots" musician and aficionado of old blues, folk/Americana etc.
    I wouldn't say that. But if they had done this kind a thing, they'd have done so in the 60's/70's, and we'd know about it for decades.

As for "unlikely", there is indeed most likely an issue of collision of characters/egos. Not sure these two would've gotten along well and long enough to do such a work.

Thanks for the link about Crumb's other works on album covers - never seen most of them.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Wendy Carlos Interview 1987:

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Good God, man -- is that Spam?!?!?

It doesn't matter how many times I watch this, I laugh every time:

Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

crumb.jpg

Apparently this is 10 years old - guess I missed it