Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Univers Zero - Phosphorescent Dreams

Progstreaming-webmaster Sunhillow's Avatar

Univers Zero - Phosphorescent Dreams

Has anyone heard it yet. Is it any good?

The band clearly doesn't want to sell any copies whatsoever, except in Japan. Of course, the Japanese record-company declined my offer to stream it and thereby offer some modest form of promotion. But if hearing the damn piece - even samples are obscure - is difficult, trying to obtain a copy in Europe (USA - shipping rates are so high it's almost an embargo) is almost impossible.

Well, it's going to be Discogs in about a year I guess. If it's any good, that is. And Soulseek while waiting

I believe http://musicbymail.dk (Pierre Tassone, Denmark) has it.

It is brilliant. It is maybe my favourite UZ album since Uzed.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Quote Originally Posted by Sunhillow View Post

The band clearly doesn't want to sell any copies whatsoever, except in Japan. Of course, the Japanese record-company declined my offer to stream it and thereby offer some modest form of promotion. But if hearing the damn piece - even samples are obscure - is difficult, trying to obtain a copy in Europe (USA - shipping rates are so high it's almost an embargo) is almost impossible.

Well, it's going to be Discogs in about a year I guess. If it's any good, that is. And Soulseek while waiting
    Don't you ever get embarrassed by the self-righteous self-promotion, as well as the trashing of anyone who dares to say 'no thank you' to your site?
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    Don't you ever get embarrassed by the self-righteous self-promotion, as well as the trashing of anyone who dares to say 'no thank you' to your site?
    He doesn't seem to.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    I believe http://musicbymail.dk (Pierre Tassone, Denmark) has it.
    Thanks! I will investigate that site.

Quote Originally Posted by taliesin View Post
    He doesn't seem to.
    I see you need. Do you?

I haven't the faintest idea what you think I need.

But I don't care for the nonstop self promotion, putting your updates on the main page rather than the what's up page (which the mods seem to have given up on) and your reaction whenever someone doesn't let you put their album on your site that they're stupid and short sighted and deserve it if they get pirated.

Other than that I'm good.

I haven't the faintest idea what you think I need.

But I don't care for the nonstop self promotion, putting your updates on the main page rather than the what's up page (which the mods seem to have given up on) and your reaction whenever someone doesn't let you put their album on your site that they're stupid and short sighted and deserve it if they get pirated.

Other than that I'm good.

^ ^ ^
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

I'll stay out of the other stuff but I agree with this:

Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    It is brilliant. It is maybe my favourite UZ album since Uzed.
    except substitute Uzed with Heatwave. Can't stop listening to this.

Quote Originally Posted by selfextraction View Post
    I'll stay out of the other stuff but I agree with this:

except substitute Uzed with Heatwave. Can't stop listening to this.
    Wow, that good?
    Is this going to get another issue (mabe vinyl?) in the forseen future or the japanese edition the only way to go?

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    It's excellent, I liked Clivages a lot and I put this one and Clivages up with Uzed & Heatwave. UZ is certainly having a renaissance at the moment. Maybe too expensive for the casual fan but certainly worth it for UZ fans.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar

Guess you'll just have to buy a copy to find out, eh?
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Agreed that the jap only way is an unsane way to go and agree that it's enjoyable.

I still stand by my comments in the other thread about it, but even a UZ near the bottom of their work is still quite good in the overall scheme of things.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

It saddenes me when people - both in real life and within 'progressive rock' - seems to read more in my actions than was meant, and get my intentions wrong. But I guess the road to hell is paved with good intentions. That said, I'm also personally hurt by the mostly untrue comments and pretty nasty snears above. Hurt, and a bit angry. I'm not only running a very successful site - of whom I'm that enthousiast I admit I can't stap yapping about - but I'm also a member of PE for I guess more than 10 years now. So I think I deserve a little bit more respect on both accounts.

The sad side-effect is also that you've both ruined a thread that was started to find out if the Univers Zero was any good, and to complain a little bit about its availibility. I don't care if people, musicians or labels don't want me to stream them. But I do care if they don't have their distribution in order. That makes me shake my head and protest about it.

I'll buy this when it is available at a reasonable price. If not? there are enough other bands.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Chang Ba View Post
    Agreed that the jap only way is an unsane way to go and agree that it's enjoyable.
    µµ
    It's safe to say that many of us wonder about this strategy...

but while the PD album is good, I expected something slightly more different , because the line-up revamp had us (at least some of us) thinking it would a bigger departure from the usual UZ sonics
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

and to complain a little bit about its availibility.
    What availability problem? I bought mine from Steve and he had it in stock and it was in my hands within 3 days.

Are you complaining about the price? $30 is only twice a domestic release, 1/3 more than most imports. And this is UNIVERS ZERO we're talking about -- if you love the music as much as I do, I'd gladly give up two One Direction albums for one UZ

Is it good? Oh fuck yes.

I don't care if people, musicians or labels don't want me to stream them.
    Sure you don't.

Of course, the Japanese record-company declined my offer to stream .... If it's any good, that is. And Soulseek while waiting
    Do you even remember what you posted 12 hours previously?

Hurt, and a bit angry.
    Poor baby. You aren't half as angry as I was when you suggested on this forum to Mike Johnson that he should find a better label when I said 'no thank you' to your offer to stream the latest Thinking Plague.

You want respect? Earn it.

All I see is someone who lashes out and insults artists and labels who don't wish to take you up on your offer to stream albums. Your site is a good idea. That doesn't mean people aren't allowed to say 'no thank you', without enduring a stream of insults from you.

Grow up and earn some respect.
    Last edited by Steve F.; 03-17-2014 at 09:33 AM.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    I'll buy this when it is available at a reasonable price. If not? there are enough other bands.
    Huh, apparently music is a different experience for you. All bands are equal. What you listen to is not important.

Of course, the Japanese record-company declined my offer to stream it and thereby offer some modest form of promotion.
    Reality check.

Streaming a 'niche' album like Phosphorescent Dreams isn't going to "offer some modest form of promotion" -- those who know UZ are already tuned into it, and those that don't aren't likely to be listening to your program.

All your streaming would accomplish would be for some listeners to download the album for free.

Niche albums don't sell a lot of copies to begin with -- a few hundred sales lost to downloads can make a pretty big dent in the economics of even releasing new material. I recently enjoyed the RIO documentary "Romantic Warriors II" (highly recommended!) wherein some musicians were discussing being in five to seven bands just to pay the bills. Even then, many of them have day jobs.

You're not "sticking it to the man." You're discouraging musicians from making a meager living doing the music they -- and we -- love.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    I'd gladly give up two One Direction albums for one UZ.

What availability problem? I bought mine from Steve and he had it in stock and it was in my hands within 3 days.

Are you complaining about the price? $30 is only twice a domestic release, 1/3 more than most imports. And this is UNIVERS ZERO we're talking about -- if you love the music as much as I do, I'd gladly give up two One Direction albums for one UZ

Is it good? Oh fuck yes.
    Guess your right. Though shipping something from US to Europe is pretty expensive. But I hear you!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post

Poor baby. You aren't half as angry as I was when you suggested on this forum to Mike Johnson that he should find a better label when I said 'no thank you' to your offer to stream the latest Thinking Plague.

You want respect? Earn it.

All I see is someone who lashes out and insults artists and labels who don't wish to take you up on your offer to stream albums. Your site is a good idea. That doesn't mean people aren't allowed to say 'no thank you', without enduring a stream of insults from you.

Grow up and earn some respect.
    Guess I had that coming, and again I'm sorry if I've offended you. Though these circumstances have happened more than a year ago, and I remember giving my apologies for this a long time ago. But if that hasn't clicked, I again offer my apologies, for that remark was clearly uncalled for.

Reality check.

Streaming a 'niche' album like Phosphorescent Dreams isn't going to "offer some modest form of promotion" -- those who know UZ are already tuned into it, and those that don't aren't likely to be listening to your program.

All your streaming would accomplish would be for some listeners to download the album for free.

Niche albums don't sell a lot of copies to begin with -- a few hundred sales lost to downloads can make a pretty big dent in the economics of even releasing new material. I recently enjoyed the RIO documentary "Romantic Warriors II" (highly recommended!) wherein some musicians were discussing being in five to seven bands just to pay the bills. Even then, many of them have day jobs.

You're not "sticking it to the man." You're discouraging musicians from making a meager living doing the music they -- and we -- love.
    That may be your opinion and I agree on some parts of it. Yet I stream many avant-prog-releases, and the bands I stream almost always seems to be pleased with the promotion. And personally, whether you like it or not, I am of the opinion there's a direct link between how many times an album is illegaly downloaded and sold. But that's a discussion that's even more dangerous than 'what is prog?' or 'should Anderson rejoin Yes?'

I didn't know you could download from a streaming site , free or not... (but then again, i'm a bloody troglodyte when informatics are concerned)...

Another unwanted effect is that someone could listen/stream the latest UZ album free, and say: "naaaaahhhèèèè ... sounds like yet another UZ album, but twice as expensive as usual..."

Then again, if I'd been patient enough, I could've waited until it hit the public libraries system and borrow it for a ridiculous price... (well maybe not this particular hard-to-get album )

I tried by curiosity a few indie stores in Berussels if I could order UZ"sq PD and Serge Fiori 's new album, and they're simply not available to order or import on the Benelux...
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I'm pretty sure Steve ships internationally.