Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Featured CD - Cardboard Amanda : Cardboard Amanda

Featured CD - Cardboard Amanda : Cardboard Amanda

Another PE-member release. Per Avant Music News:
    This is a gem... ...those of us with da noive enough to have a sense of humor these days will enjoy its tongue-in-cheek malice aforethought and DIY ethi, immensely. In a class by itself. - Dave Kerman (Thinking Plague, Ahvak, Present, 5uu's, ReR USA)

I think this is the greatest CD release of 2006, and most likely 2007 and 2008 because it sounds like nothing you have ever heard before and nothing you will ever hear again for a long, long time. - Dogbowl (King Missile, www.dogbowl.com)

One of the most truly 'progressive' works in decades. - Robert Marone (New Jersey Proghouse Staph)

This album should be *immediately* purchased by those who enjoy going WTF!?!?!?!?!?!?!? upon hearing an album for the first time... - Rob LaDuca (NEARfest)

...the most bizarre and unique CD released this year... ...a CD that sounds like nothing you have ever heard... ...Cardboard Amanda have really raised the bar for what will now be considered avant-garde... ...if you are intrigued by the off-kilter, the twisted, and the viciously insane, grab a hold of this fascinating avant-garde release and get ready for some mind-bending listening. - Pete Pardo (Sea of Tranquility)

...it's a very intriguing, weird and unusual listen, and if I can say that after all these years, that's saying something! - Steve Feigenbaum (President, Cuneiform Records/Wayside Music)

This is a very impressive record: it's beautiful bizarreness, and it's very funny as well. Highly recommended. - Peter Van Laarhaven (United-Mutations)

The cardboard amanda album is without doubt a demented masterpiece... ...an excellent journey into the experimental unknown. - Floyd Ffroyd Bledsoe (Progressive Ears)

This is the perfect soundtrack to make abstract art, I highly recommend it, you will be surprised at what you come up with once you let go and let these blokes take you on a stroll though lane quackery insane. Pass the must heard, the word is that it is totally spicy. - Cesar Montesano (Exposé)

[Cardboard Amanda] have created a grandly sprawling work that is both unapologetically bizarre and remarkably inviting. All in all, some exceptionally fine, head-twisting entertainment here. And, finally, a recording that Milton Babbitt fans, Hound Dog Taylor enthusiasts, and Residents aficionados can all agree on. - Charles Crisafulli (Grammy Magazine)

Cardboard Amanda is probably one of the strangest recordings I have ever heard in my 35+ years of being a music collector... ...scary and fun all at the same time... ...there is a lot of fun packed into this disc if you're brave enough to listen. - Thom Overstreet (Gnosis)

Cardboard Amanda stretches the meaning of 'weird'...

Regards,

Duncan

WOOOOHOOOOO

About time !
    Classic stuff
    Put in on the shelf next to Amos and The Residents
    Frankie you rule

I listened to this on the way back from NEARFest one year. I was told to resist the urge to drive myself into a bridge abutment, but I have to say I never felt that urge. I really like this album.

I turned it on and left it playing once for my coworkers a couple years ago and when I returned one of them had turned on the radio instead. He said it sounded like someone working in their garage. Oh the spurious perceptions of the uninitiated, lol...
    <sig out of order>

the cover sucks

Seriously...that cover. It's perfect if you don't want to move any units.

^^

I think the cover perfectly matches the music...

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    ^^

Yup.
    <sig out of order>

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar

I enjoy it.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Great stuff! Frankie's the best.
    "Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible"
    -Frank Zappa

THISSTRUCKMEASASORTOFMADEUPOUTSIDERMUSIC
    I
    TISANINTERESTINGALBUMBUTITNEVERQUITEGRABBEDME
    ANDINEVERKNEWQUITEWHATTOTHINKOFIT

chalkpie
    Thanks Duncan and thanks everybody, even people who don't like it or "get" it.

We are still proud of this one and its probably the most original thing I've done musically. A lot of fun to make, but quite difficult if you knew the details of the recording circumstances. This was not made using a DAW program but "blindly" using two ADATS and a lot of bouncing.

Something new is in the works, maybe (and hopefully) 2 things. I am about to upgrade to the new ProTools 11.

chalkpie
    PS - I would venture that nobody has ever read the full "libretto" that goes along with this album (most likely because you didn't know such a thing existed). If you are brave and curious enough, it is posted here:

http://metropolis.free-jazz.net/cecil-grungard/general/

Progstreaming-webmaster Sunhillow's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    ^^

Which then means I will probably stay away from it

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    We are still proud of this one and its probably the most original thing I've done musically. A lot of fun to make, but quite difficult if you knew the details of the recording circumstances. This was not made using a DAW program but "blindly" using two ADATS and a lot of bouncing.
    Wow, that sounds like a pain in the ass. The result is all the more impressive then.

This would make a nice easter egg for those over at Progstreaming.
    <sig out of order>

Great stuff. Thanks Frankie.

using two ADATS and a lot of bouncing. .
    Nothing wrong with that way of working, that's how I recorded every album I engineered between 1994-1999 (that's about 30 something albums).
    I really like the dry sound of Cardboard Amanda, and very curious to hear your next project!

BD

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I've always loved the cover but it's always disturbed me too much to actually listen to the album.

How long before that awful picture is taken down from the top of the forum??

PS - I would venture that nobody has ever read the full "libretto" that goes along with this album (most likely because you didn't know such a thing existed). If you are brave and curious enough, it is posted here:
    http://metropolis.free-jazz.net/cecil-grungard/general/
    my god ! I try to read
    is this some sort of a test you are trying on us Frankie

On my tiny little laptop speakers, the clip above sounds like Karl Childers doing Captain Beefheart.
    Hired on to work for Mr. Bill Cox, a-fixin' lawn mowers and what-not, since 1964.

"Arguing with an idiot is like playing chess with a pigeon. It'll just knock over all the pieces, shit on the board, and strut about like it's won anyway." Anonymous

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” George Carlin

What an awful cover. A five minute cut & paste job.

Beefheart & Waits have something to learn, and Bob Dylan must be envious on that harmonica

More songs: https://myspace.com/cardboardamanda/music/songs

Frank's next album will have a cover by Roger Dean, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    Yup.
    It's that bad? Seriously, I could never buy this simply for the cover, I hate it that much. Now I'm wondering what it sounds like.

No, I like the cover....because it does properly represent the contents.
    <sig out of order>